Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I stripped the intake bolts when installing them, what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face I stripped the intake bolts when installing them, what can I do?

I put the intake back on and most of the bolts went in fine. Two of the bolts got very tight when I put them in. They were in a few turns before it got tight, so I tried to tighten them down thinking that the threads were fine. I eventually stopped and pulled them out to check and the first two threads of the bolt were stripped. I tried to put another good bolt in the hole but it got tight again so I didn't try to turn it more. What can I do?
Old 04-09-2003, 11:56 PM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try using your teeth...

SHAUN
Old 04-09-2003, 11:59 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Remove the bolt, head to the hardware store and get a tap for that size and thread pitch. Shoot some WD-40 in there and carefully touch up the threads. Work in 1.4 turn increments if it gets tight.

Clean the hole and bolt it on.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:00 AM
thomschoon
Instructor

I would check the threads with a light to see if they are damaged or rolled,if they look a bit rolled run an undersize tap through them. To make a tap undersize so all it does is clean the threads versus cutting them, take a tap and lightly bead blast or sand blast it. I would also double check the threads on the bolts. If you only have stripped out the outer two threads, you could install a stud with some loctite, or you need to helicoil the stripped threads.

Why were the bolts out?? If you had some head work done make sure they cleaned the holes after bead blasting the head. Good luck, been there myself.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the threads are not too bad then get a metric tap and carefully run it down the messed up hole to clean up the threads. Make sure you get it in there straight! I think there are different types (1.25 and 1.5 threads for example) in each size so be sure to get the correct one. If the threads are too far gone then there wont be enough metal left to hold the threads you make and the bolt will pull out of the hole. Try your best to rebuild the messed up threads and save the old ones. If all that doesnt work you may need to drill out the hole to the next SAE (standard american) size and tap it as a standard bolt hole with an appropriate new bolt. Hopefully you wont have to go that far.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:18 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

I just had some headwork done and I visually inspected the holes before I put the intake on. They looked good so I didn't touch them. The tap sounds like the best thing to try at this point along with new bolts. I tried to clean up the old bolts before putting them in but they could've been worse off than it appeared. Hopefully this goes smoothly. Thanks guys.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:24 AM
mrmunky
Pro

Ken,
I did the exact same thing not two weeks ago. If you'd like the necessary tap, email a secure shipping address to hippie_revolution@hotmail.com and I'll pop it in an envelope and drop it in the mail. No charge, because I'm not gonna use the thing again.

Good Luck,
Ian
Old 04-10-2003, 02:56 AM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

My head was converted to studs for the intake, and I have to say, I think it's a great idea. Makes installing the intake really easily, and there's less chance of stripping issues.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by mrmunky:
<strong>Ken,
I did the exact same thing not two weeks ago. If you'd like the necessary tap, email a secure shipping address to hippie_revolution@hotmail.com and I'll pop it in an envelope and drop it in the mail. No charge, because I'm not gonna use the thing again.

Good Luck,
Ian</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Thanks for the offer, check your email. What size tap is it? I might look for it locally as well in which case I'd offer up yours to the next poor guy who strips a bolt.

Quick Reply: I stripped the intake bolts when installing them, what can I do?