Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Cylinder Upgrade Options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 03:50 PM
jack_of_diamonds
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much!
Old 01-14-2021, 05:56 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Because of the geometry of the motion transfer, using a remote actuator like that is never going to be ideal. There is always some kind of friction loss and/or unwanted motion. Without knowing exactly the internals surrounding the sliding balance rod, it's hard to judge how the Kokeln (or the remake) would actually hold up to repeated abuse. I can't say I would be confident putting all that compressive force through a threaded rod. Furthermore, it's attached to the balance bar housing with a tiny nut.

The best is usually a pedal box, where the balance bar is mounted directly to the pedal.

In most cases, the master cylinders must accept a certain tolerance of play - the piston rods won't always be exactly parallel to the piston travel.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-14-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:15 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jack_of_diamonds
Do you know where you got the items needed to make this? I'm interested in the mount to the firewall and I was a little confused about what you were saying, did you say you had to make the mount yourself, or was that another purchase part?
The master cylinders and the cast mount in my pictures are stock Tilton items, you can see “Tilton” cast into these parts in the photos and also the part numbers. The mount to the firewall is custom but once you mount both masters to the cast mount and offer that assembly up to the firewall, it becomes obvious what you need to fabricate to attach to where the old booster mounted.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:05 PM
jack_of_diamonds
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Because of the geometry of the motion transfer, using a remote actuator like that is never going to be ideal. There is always some kind of friction loss and/or unwanted motion. Without knowing exactly the internals surrounding the sliding balance rod, it's hard to judge how the Kokeln (or the remake) would actually hold up to repeated abuse. I can't say I would be confident putting all that compressive force through a threaded rod. Furthermore, it's attached to the balance bar housing with a tiny nut.

The best is usually a pedal box, where the balance bar is mounted directly to the pedal.

In most cases, the master cylinders must accept a certain tolerance of play - the piston rods won't always be exactly parallel to the piston travel.
I've decided to get with a pedal box, now I just need to figure out which lines run where. I know one of the lines that run to the clutch master cylinder and to then the slave cylinder, I just need to figure out now where the hard-mounted hard brake lines run to. The OEM 87' master cylinder has (when facing it from the front of the car) two on the right and one on the left, I am trying to figure out where each of them leads to and how it's divided up. I don't have ABS and the manual picture includes the ABS, this may or may not complicate it but I sure don't know.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

Recall that all the braking force from the pedal is transferred to the pushrod by a tiny (~8mm?) clevis pin.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:00 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I've decided to get with a pedal box, now I just need to figure out which lines run where. I know one of the lines that run to the clutch master cylinder and to then the slave cylinder, I just need to figure out now where the hard-mounted hard brake lines run to. The OEM 87' master cylinder has (when facing it from the front of the car) two on the right and one on the left, I am trying to figure out where each of them leads to and how it's divided up. I don't have ABS and the manual picture includes the ABS, this may or may not complicate it but I sure don't know.
I think there are two for the front and one for the rear. There is a splitter for the rear under the rear seat somewhere. I think ABS is the same way, it is three channel (front left, front right, rear).

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Recall that all the braking force from the pedal is transferred to the pushrod by a tiny (~8mm?) clevis pin.
While I'm not implying that the stock system is good, shear on the pin is different than the compression (buckling) force on the pushrod.

With a vacuum assisted system you're also putting less force into the input components. With a manual system you can put 500, 700+ lbs on that pushrod depending on where you place the lever.

I'm not a fan of the Kokeln piece, but it also has a thicker junction at the balance bar to the pushrod to relieve stress at that point.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-18-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

my comment was addressing the integrity of the balance bar.

the stock vac-assist pushrod is also 10mm or 3/8" though.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:37 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm trying to find an upgrade for my 1987 NA 944 brake booster because it ugly and I don't enjoy seeing it. I've been doing some digging and trying to find a replacement and I found the " Chase Bays Brake Booster Eliminator ". It looks to be mainly for BMV and VW but as we all know they share lots and lots of parts. It uses a square 4 bolt configuration and looks like it'll attach right to your brake arm. Has anyone used this and how did you get around the problem of going for the large three-bolt to the smaller 4 bolt configuration, did you just make an adaptor? Also, how did you go about the issue of needing multiple tubes and pipes leading into the device?
Originally Posted by V2Rocket
The clevis pin is in double shear, so the pin sees 250# not 500#, the clevis puts the pin in double shear. If no clevis, just a single bolt hole, the 500#

Last edited by T&T Racing; 01-17-2021 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Master Cylinder Upgrade Options?