Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny thing happened today

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Post Funny thing happened today

I'm driving home from Greenville and about 30 mins into my trip I go to accelerate and all of a sudden it sounds like I'm on pit road back at VIR. In other words, my engine is LOUD, and I mean LOUD. I immediately pull over, and look under at the exhaust, it seems that the exhaust broke right before the catalytic converter. I drove the rest of the hour home (polluting the environment for an ENTIRE hour!!), scaring everything within 50 miles, and putting it in neutral as I drove by police cars. At one point a Mustang GT looked scared crap-less.

By the way, PartsHeaven are really nice folks and very helpful, just ordered a few more things from them. Just one customer's unsolicited opinion!

TIA,
Matt O.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:35 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<strong>By the way, PartsHeaven are really nice folks and very helpful, just ordered a few more things from them. Just one customer's unsolicited opinion!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Am I like the only one on the planet who got hosed by PartsHeaven? High prices, crap quality, and unresponsive customer service. Maybe I was in a time warp or something. Sorry Matt, but I don't agree on this one. Just one unsatisfied customer opinion.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:43 PM
Doug944s2
Instructor

My experience with PartsHeaven was good. Bought some used carpet from a 968 (the molded stuff on the sides of the cargo area...for a color change, from white to black). Courteous guy on the phone, pretty quick shipping and the carpet was in excellent shape, for $75.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:02 PM
icat
Race Car

It occurs to me I should state my story. Bought 968 Door Handles from Parts Heaven a few months ago. I sent several e-mails concerning the purchase and generally waited at least a day for replies - fair enough, not everyone likes to do business by e-mail. So I call and the guy on the other end tells me the Handles are in great shape and the price is $350. I told him I didn't expect the price to be that high and asked if he would take less. He said no, it's the last pair I've got - take them or leave them. I thought that was a bit uncalled for as I wasn't giving him a high pressure dicker session, I just asked if he'd take less. I once again confirmed with him that the handles were in good shape and he said they were perfect.

Well, evidently someone at UPS pulled my perfect handles out of the box, chewed on the gaskets, scratched up the chrome rosettes, and then repainted the handles with a can of black spray paint. I had to purchase new gaskets and rosettes at a cost of around $45 total. The paint shop had to sandblast the handles to remove the lousy respray, just to get them to the point where they could lay on the Guards Red. So my "perfect" handles from PartsHeaven actually cost me $395. I didn't mind the $350, but at that price they should have been perfect. The guy lied to me - pure and simple. If they were not perfect, then the price should have reflected that.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Keith,

I'm sorry to hear about that. Did you call and talk to someone after you got the things in poor shape? I'm sure you did, but what did they say? They have a 90 day warrenty, don't they? That's what I was told. The only experiences I have had with them has been when I purchased two cooling fans that work great for I think 40 bucks each which is a good price, a fuel rail for 60 bucks which is decent, and then just today a dipstick "tube" for 10 dollars and a rear hatch pad (that the cone bolt goes in to) for 15 bucks. Those are decent prices considering the dealer wanted $40 for the latter.

Oh well. Maybe give them a buzz and a talk to someone there about the quality they sent you. For what it's worth, they DEFINITELY don't CLEAN their products before they send 'em out, but that didn't bother me yet because the stuff I've got from them gets dirty anyway.

Take care,
Matt
Old 09-06-2002, 11:14 PM
icat
Race Car

The reply was to tell me that's the only pair I have left - basically a take it or leave it attitude. I had heard so many good things about Parts Heaven that I thought they would be a great place to deal with. My experience was just the opposite. If the part had been a 21mm spacer, or a cooling fan, or a intake manifold, then I guess the pricing and "quality" would have been alright. But their ads say it's like shopping at a concours for parts and that isn't so.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:27 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my exhaust broke in the exact same place too. must be a bad design or somthin

as for as parts heaven goes i have had really good experience with them. sice they are only 25 minutes from my house i can just go get the part i need, and they will take the part back and refund your money if the part doesnt work
Old 09-06-2002, 11:56 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahah, same thing happened to me a month ago when Bill, Steve, and I went for a drive up in the twisties. I still haven't gotten the pipe re-welded all the way around yet, sounds like ****.

Oh yeah, and the dudes at Parts Heaven know their stuff...I don't order from the dealer anymore.

Quick Reply: Funny thing happened today