Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freeze-12 and leaky a/c system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 12:14 AM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Freeze-12 and leaky a/c system?

(First off to all the "Search ****'s" I did search and found nothing on my problem )
I really need to refill my a/c system. However I have a small leak. It has been filled up with r12 and that lasted about 4 weeks and it was out. The compressor is new and also it just recently had a new high pressure hose installed.
Is there such thing as a sealer for a/c systems? It has die in with the oil, but I can't find any leak in the engine bay. I guess it's inside the dash where I have no easy access to it. Let alone sticking a black light down there.
Someone told me to put in a bottle of sealant and use Freeze-12.
Would a sealant work with a leak like mine? Does that stuff have a tendency to damage a/c systems or cause problems later down the road?
Also where can I get my hands on this Freeze-12?

TIA
Old 09-07-2002, 01:06 AM
bergstsm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You ought to head over to the 928 board and search. I know, different car and all, but there are a few people there that have some VERY knowledgeable things to say about A/C systems, and especially the options for R12. Read up and enjoy!

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=14&t=001183" target="_blank">928 A/C Discussion</a>

I have worked with John (Dozman) on various projects in Detroit, and I must say that he is one of the best I have seen with A/C systems.

Shawn
Old 09-07-2002, 01:17 AM
bergstsm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to add that any way you slice it, you have to find the leak. Finding a refrigerant that will recondition seals well enough is a long shot, at best. If the leak is somewhere else, good luck.

Find the leak first, then decide what you want to put in there. I would say fix the system, and save the money for r-12. It can be found, and NOTHING will blow colder, no matter what.

Shawn

Quick Reply: Freeze-12 and leaky a/c system?