Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch Reseal...Fantastic Job $150 UNREAL

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 PM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sTyleR
So the hatch squeak is completely gone? My 924S squeaks and leaks. It may be worth a trip up from San Antonio sometime. How long did it take them to complete the job?
Yes, the squeak is completely gone. I've seen threads that even after a reseal the hatch may squeak over time so I'll keep an ear on it and post an update. It only took them a day to pull the glass and reseal. He advised letting it sit for a day to set, so it was there for two days. Unfortunately they aren't open on Saturday.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 PM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by PEvans
This seems like the key step, and it's not clear to me what he did. Did he just re-seal the frame to the glass, then put the rubber seal on top?

I have had my hatch re-sealed once, and it still leaks (and squeaks), so I'm getting ready to have it done again. Mine is one of the ones with no wiper hole, and I like the look, so I would like to get it fixed right.
The glass sits in the frame and the top of the frame (nearest the top of the car and hatch hinges) is flush with the glass and exposed over time this exposed portion of the frame loses its aesthetic appeal which is the reason I think the rubber piece looks so good. This exposed part of the frame is the area that was sanded down and then the rubber piece was glued over the top of the exposed frame and part of the glass. The excess rubber was trimmed around the frame. In addition the rubber piece has a small extension that runs along the space between the glass and the frame. Basically it is not simply a flat piece of rubber glued to the top. I think that may be the key and probably assists with no squeaking. I attached a couple of pics, I went with the wider of the two rubber molding pieces.

Hopefully these pics will help with you guys that don't live in or around Houston, and maybe a local glass shop can do the same for you. And just MAYBE you can get it done for $150 bucks, good luck.
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2010, 02:00 PM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

Bumped this only because I added some pics of the actual rubber molding as I think some wanted to see it...
Old 04-27-2010, 02:27 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Does Carlos make house calls.......to Tampa???

Actually, I had my hatch re-sealed 8 or 9 years ago in Beaumont, TX. The key is to find an independent glass shop. They will more likely be willing to do this kind of job. The national chains will not touch a hatch re-seal.

Last edited by PeteL; 04-27-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

What's it cost to ship a hatch?

Better yet, find ONE boneyard hatch, and start a core-swap business refurbishing.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Geldfalle 944
Rennlist Member

I just priced the seal and metal trim to do mine myself. With my dealer discount it came to just over $200. It is tempting to drive down (if for no other reason than to drive my pcar) and have him do this to mine. Maybe I will go on the hunt here to see if I can find someone.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd gladly pay $150 to have someone do it right...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know where to get a piece of rubber that would work like what is pictured?

That looks like exactly what I need I just cant find a rubber seal that will work like that.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:53 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know where to get a piece of rubber that would work like what is pictured?

That looks like exactly what I need I just cant find a rubber seal that will work like that.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

why dont you give them a call?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

I may have to take a short drive down to Houston. Thanks for the info. I was just at the car wash today and it looked like Niagra Falls in the cargo area. I didn't know it was that bad.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevsporsche944
I may have to take a short drive down to Houston. Thanks for the info. I was just at the car wash today and it looked like Niagra Falls in the cargo area. I didn't know it was that bad.

I met a local 968 owner who covered the seal with a black piece of weather-proof tape (I can't remember what kind of tape it was) that prevents this type of leakage from happening. If done and trimmed correctly, the finish looks factory and the so-called tape isn't noticeable.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:19 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question

My 924S leaks through the usual glass-frame seal point. However, on occasion I've found that a leak may begin from either of the two points where the hatch bolts onto the roof panel. I found that water would get trapped inside the headliner piece above the rear seats, which eventually caused the headline to droop. Upon removing this trim piece, two holes can be found where the hatch bolts down from the top. During a down-poor, I actually witnessed water passing through these holes. I figure that either the seal has deteriorated or the hatch bolts simply aren't tight enough, but I can't find an easy way to access them. Has anyone dealt with water leaking through either of those bolt points before?

Last edited by sTyleR; 07-06-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Hatch Reseal...Fantastic Job $150 UNREAL