Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag warning light

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Bruno'S2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag warning light

I know I know, there are many threads on that subject that I went through but can't find a definite answer. I removed the steering wheel (and air bag) to change the bulbs and redo the reflective finish on the cluster to improve the lighting. When I put it back together I had the seatbelt and airbag warning light staying on like expected. I did the reset procedure with the only connector under the dash on the passenger side I found without anything connected to it with no success. I have either the light blinking ounce and staying on or turning on a few seconds then off a few more seconds and back on and staying on. What else can I look at? I did read some threads about not being able to do that procedure with an S2 is that true?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:15 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 259 Posts

If your S2 is 1990 or newer, you need the Bosch Hammer to reset the airbag light.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Keep searching. My airbag light is on and I think it can be reset with a homemade reset tool that mimics whatever the bosch tool does.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes the mythical home built tool does exist. There is an extensive thread on the 964 forum about it. I followed all the different posts, got the schematic, downloaded the software and went to town. I have NEVER built anything electronic before but have done soldering and was able to build the box for about $25 worth of radio shack parts. You need an older laptop that has a serial port to connect to the homemade box. It took me a fair amount of hours to figure out the schematic and build it but it was a great feeling when the 968 communicated with my old laptop and I was able to hit the button and shut off the light.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Bruno'S2
Advanced

My S2 is a 89 so I think I should be able to reset it with the instructions on Clark's garage but I've been trying all afternoon and it's not working.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure when the need for the bosch hammer started but I think I recall an S2 owner or two also saying they needed the bosch hammer to reset their light. The connector to the box is different from the 964's and the 968's but the box can still work if it is properly connected into the earlier S2 connector.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:01 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you investigated the blink codes found at Clark's Garage?

Here's a link to the procedure

I was chasing a similar problem, in my case it was a faulty clock spring.

The blink code procedure is a little cumbersome and mildly confusing. I recorded a video of the 'blinks' with my cell phone, which was much easier to review and count than trying to write it down in the car.

Last edited by gregeast; 03-29-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Yep, if the reset procedure is not working I'd suspect the clockspring or something like that. Greg has the right idea.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Bruno'S2
Advanced

Great tips, I will look into that but I will need more info on the clockspring... don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

The clock spring sits underneath the steering wheel and allows the airbag and horn wires to maintain electrical contact as the wheel rotates.

Here's a picture of the 993 version, they all look very similar:
Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Bruno'S2
Advanced

Thanks I will look it up. There must be a way to test it described somewhere.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just did a continuity test between the pins on the car side air bag connector and the pins on the steering wheel side. One of them was open, which is of course why the air bag light was tripping.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Not sure but I think that all s2 have the newer airbag system. Possibly not 89 for sure 90 and 91.

If you have the newer system the part number on the controller will end in 01. the controller that is under the passenger side dash you can't miss it is an orange box. Part number is visible with minimal gymnastics.

I have the 01 system in my 91 S2 and I used the Durametric tool. You can reset the airbag system and read the codes for your s2. Handy to have although a bit costly.

I can tell you from experience that it helps as my system was throwing multiple codes. Each code will point you to the component it is having trouble with. There are only 5 parts to the system 2 airbags, 2 sensors, controller unit.

In my case I was able to eliminate all of the codes except one and finally had o change the controller unit.

Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes before doing anything to the airbag system.

First thing to try is disconnect the crash sensor connectors one in each footwell. They are round connectors that are secured in metal mounting clips. Clean them and reconnect them. They are the easiest ones to do and often fix the problem.

After that there is are 2 small connectors for the passenger airbag that you can get to by removing the glove box. The connector for the drivers side to the clock spring is under the steering wheel. you can remove the 2 torx screws from behind the steering wheel and clean the connectors for the drivers airbag and finally the 2 connectors that go to the controller that is under the passenger side dash.

You can try all of that and then find someone to reset your system and if you are lucky the light will stay off. If not try to find a controller somewhere. BE AWARE that the S2 has a different part number than other cars and the connectors are different so you need to get the correct part number. It ends in 01.

if you end out having to change the unit let me know and I will give you some hints. I took apart way more of the car then I needed to for the job. If I did it again could probably do it in 2 - 3 hours instead of 8 or 10.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...bag-light.html
Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Bruno'S2
Advanced

Thanks again. Great tips for things to look at. Guess what I'm doing this weekend. And to think all I wanted to do was improve the lighting in the instrument cluster. I will think twice next time before removing the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Airbag warning light