Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy (CLOSED): Stage 8 locking CV bolts, Round 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

72 hours left in the group buy. Batch 3 orders will be placed with Stage8 on Monday, so please get your orders in no later than 11 AM EDT Monday 19 April.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how many have installed these yet, but i got around to doing my drivers side yesterday after i repacked the CV Joint (repacking those things is one ****ty job). Anyhow, the hardware is very nice. Just one install note, you MAY have to grind the D style retainer down slightly on its locking side. I had some trouble fitting maybe 4 of them (2 one each joint) due to the crimp band (the band overlaps in some areas making it tough to get the retainer seated on the bolt head) for the CV joint boot. Nothing that literally 5 seconds on a bench grinder did not cure.

No more having to mess with the annoying cheeseheads. I highly recommend getting a deep 8mm 12pt socket. Getting the socket seated can be a little troublesome because the bellows for the CV joint can get in the way.. a deep socket helps immensely here.

Overall i am very happy with the hardware and want to thank ideola for setting this up for us. One less thing to worry about on the track and on those long drives. The only downside i see is the added time to take all the retainers off if you need to swap out the CV joint.. but hey, atleast your CV joints wont be falling out at bad times .

Old 04-16-2010, 11:28 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Yes, but I was thinking about whether it's valid from a mech eng point of view replacing the stretch bolts in a particular application where stretch bolts are specified with non stretch bolts. From my imperfect understanding of the subject, the stretch of the bolt is part of the holding characteristics.
"Stretch" bolts, also known as "Torque To Yield," or just TTY, are designed to yeild, which is in theiory supposed to ensure a more precise and even clampload. There is a lot of debate about whether or not it is more repeatable than a standard non-yielding bolt, as the manufacturing variability of the fasteners does not appear to be any better than the variability of hte machines that run down the bolts.

Basically, whatever is being clamped won't see any difference in the fastener. The same clampload is applied, whether through torquing to a specified torque, or through yielding the fastener.

Also, FWIW, the Ford Modulars use TTY fastners on the head and mains. Each is specified to be able to be re-used three times (though if someone bother to look it up, Romeo and Windsor each report that one can be re-used, but not the other, even though they are the same fastner - an error that was never corrected to my knowledge).
Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Basically, whatever is being clamped won't see any difference in the fastener. The same clampload is applied, whether through torquing to a specified torque, or through yielding the fastener.
Thanks! Interesting read. My knowledge of the subject is slightly less imperfect now.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I highly recommend getting a deep 8mm 12pt socket. Getting the socket seated can be a little troublesome because the bellows for the CV joint can get in the way.. a deep socket helps immensely here.
Actually, I had been wondering about this -- even when using a long triple-square bit, the bellows get in the way somewhat, and that is going to be a lot thinner than an 8mm socket. I sort of wondered why no-one had mentioned it before -- perhaps you're actually one of the first to install the kit.

Sounds like the stamping on the D clips might need to be adjusted slightly (for the benefit of those of without bench grinders.)
Old 04-17-2010, 12:05 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

The issue of the D-style lock size has more to do with the fact that there are different styles of aftermarket CV boot kits, so the flanges on the boot kits are not uniform relative to the boot itself. On the ones I test fit, there were absolutely no interference issues at all. FWIW, my boot kits are GKN brand sourced from Jason @ Paragon, and were specifically for a late offset setup sourced from a 1989 944(S2?). It's the flange on the boot kit that provides the abutment for the lock, so the variability will be in the boot kit itself, not the locking piece. The bolt kits come with instructions and indicate that grinding or clipping the locks is perfectly acceptable. Tin snips or even a rasp file could also be used in a pinch, as the clips are alu.

As for the socket issue, I used a normal sized socket on an 8" extension with a 3/8" drive ratchet. I personally didn't find this combination any harder than the triple square set that I have, which are loose triple square bits that I manually insert into 13mm sockets anyway...so maybe I'm just used to futzing around with the boots

TD, thanks for the excellent photos and the writeup!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ideola
I personally didn't find this combination any harder than the triple square set that I have, which are loose triple square bits that I manually insert into 13mm sockets anyway...so maybe I'm just used to futzing around with the boots
That sounds like a futz and a half! Much easier if you use the long spline bits that have their own socket drive adaptor... those loose triple square bits make the job a lot more difficult than it has to be.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Last chance! Group buy closes in 28 hours (11 AM EDT Monday 19 Apr 2010).
Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Rick Ryhal
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan, I want to add one additional set to the two I already paid for. What is the cost and how do I do it?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rick Ryhal
Dan, I want to add one additional set to the two I already paid for. What is the cost and how do I do it?
Thanks,
Rick
Rick, cost is $79.50 with the discount and you can order on my website: http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Stage8-GB.html
Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Rick Ryhal
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan, PayPal sent. Thanks man

Rick
Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

I sent this email to everybody today, but posting here just to cover all the bases...

##################################

I spoke with Stage8 last night regarding the status of shipping on the various batch orders. For some reason, they delayed shipping batch 1 and pulled forward the production run of the batch 2 and batch 3 orders. They committed to me that the entire order (batches 1, 2 & 3) will be shipped to me all at once by the end of this week.

I don't know why they did it this way, as I specifically discussed with them at the outset breaking the orders into smaller batches so that early participants wouldn't have to wait for the entire run in order to get their parts. They arbitrarily decided to do the production all at once, which means that those of you in Batch 1 won't be getting your orders any sooner than anybody else.

I'm not real happy about this, and will have to think about how to manage the next round (if there is one). BUT, the good news is that everything should be on its way from California by the end of the week, and I should be able to begin packaging and shipping next week. I will do my best to get everything repackaged and shipped out to you all within 24-48 hours of receiving the bulk shipment from Stage8.

I apologize for the delay, I wish there was something I could do to get the parts here faster. The only consolation I can offer at this point is that it's not unusual to encounter these types of production and logistical issues when commissioning a completely new product (there were 5 new applications in this round of the group buy). I hope you feel as I do that the results will be worth the wait.

Once I start shipping your individual orders, you should each be getting an email notification from either PayPal or the USPS with the tracking number for your shipment, so please be on the lookout for that. I think I have requested address confirmations from all of you, but it doesn't hurt to remind you that I rely heavily on your PayPal address being correct for shipping. PLEASE double check that your PayPal shipping info is current and up to date!!!

I will send out another update as soon as I know the bulk shipment is on its way from California. In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Thanks again for your enthusiastic participation! It has been exciting to see the response to this group buy. If there are other new product or NLA parts you would like assistance with, don't hesitate to ask...I'm always up for a new challenge!

Also just a quick reminder that we're offering 10% off all Tools, Kingsborne Wire Sets, and Classic 9 appearance products through 15 May 2010.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

All orders have been shipped except for 11. Apparently, Stage8 ran out of the M8x50 bolts during the initial run. I just received the bill for the last portion of the M8x50 order yesterday, so I am expecting these bolts to arrive in MI any day now, and will ship them out ASAP.

Thanks everybody for your patience and participation!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

The last dozen or so orders were shipped out on Saturday, everyone should have gotten their tracking number notification via USPS or PayPal. PM or email me if not.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This member should get a set...
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...w-fd-am-i.html

John

Quick Reply: Group Buy (CLOSED): Stage 8 locking CV bolts, Round 2