Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear front indicator lenses

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 03:09 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Clear front indicator lenses

Check out from the swedish 944 site some pictures of 951/S2 with clear lenses.
Iam expecting to have mine real soon...Will then report how's the quality etc.
So far i have heard only good comments
<a href="http://groups.msn.com/Porsche944Sverige/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=10380&LastModified=46 75388769857524257" target="_blank">http://groups.msn.com/Porsche944Sverige/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=10380&LastModified=46 75388769857524257</a>

Olli
'88 951
Old 09-16-2002, 03:18 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool, can't wait to hear about them and see pics of 'em on your car.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:55 AM
K27w
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa! you read my mind, I was changing bulbs yesterday and said to my wife I wish there were clear lenses for these...........weird. any way, how much and where can they be ordered from please.
thanks
Lance
Old 09-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think in some jurisdictions these have to be yellow, don't they?
Old 09-16-2002, 11:02 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow, nice photos! I saw this on that site as well:

<a href="http://groups.msn.com/Porsche944Sverige/nemosprojekt.msnw" target="_blank">http://groups.msn.com/Porsche944Sverige/nemosprojekt.msnw</a>

That's one HUGE intercooler! I like the 968 rear he has put on that car as well. Do you know him, Olli?

Tifo
Old 09-16-2002, 11:20 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I´m also registered on the Swedish board.

Since just about everyone on the board speaks english feel free to post there.

Or you could just ask me to translate.. :-)

/A
Old 09-16-2002, 11:23 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Peckster:
<strong>I think in some jurisdictions these have to be yellow, don't they?</strong><hr></blockquote>

In Sweden it is okay to have white lenses as long as the bulb is yellow.

/A
Old 09-16-2002, 11:24 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

[quote]how much and where can they be ordered from please <hr></blockquote>
These lenses are manufactured in very small series in Sweden.I once saw these lenses on one
swedish 951, tracked down the owner, got his e-mail address and sent him mail.He told me who is in charge of producing the lenses (got e-mail address as well).Now i have been on the waiting list for two months.I suppose i will be one of those who get the lenses from next production.
I suppose Joakim (he's the one who runs this production) reads also this forum.I think he has so many buyers on the queue only in the Nordic countries that i don't know if he is willing to take any more customers.Let him answer to you.

[quote] That's one HUGE intercooler! I like the 968 rear he has put on that car as well. Do you know him, Olli? <hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately i don't know the owner, because i live in Finland and he's living in Sweden.I just read the swedish list also to practise my swedish.

[quote]In Sweden it is okay to have white lenses as long as the bulb is yellow[quote]

Same here in Finland

Olli
'88 951
Old 09-16-2002, 11:27 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Olli, what are you doing about the side markers (you have a US spec car, right? That has the long rectangular side markers in the front of the quarter pannel.) Those would look nice in clear to go with everything else clear up front.

John, the front lens itself doesn't usually need to be amber. Just put in an amber bulb. Though in some places I think the inner reflector might also need to be amber if the lens is clear but I'm not sure on that. You do see amber reflectors on the newer cars with clear lenses.

Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem with an amber bulb and the clear lens cast properly.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:35 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
I know it would be a big pain, but I would love to do a euro conversion to the side markers on my car, I just think that the euro set up cleans up the front of the car just that much more.

This is something I would want to do if my car was going to be a show car or something, but I think my 951 is better suited to be used at the track....
Old 09-16-2002, 11:42 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Hi Dan (Iceshark)

what comes to sidemarker lights they are now painted with Dupli Color transparent paint.Just few years ago sidemarker lights were illegal here in Finland.For that reson they were usually painted black and electrics were disconnected.Volvo brought sidemarker lights into S40 series and they were legalize also in Finland.Also EU regulations made this possible.
I removed all that nice Satin Black Metallic (LY9Y) from sidemarkers and painted them with this transparent paint.It's nice during the daytime when you just even notice they are there (amber front ones looks terrible if your car is black metallic...),but when it's dark they are visible and give good light, looks nice.Also backlights are painted with Dupli Color.I ordered A.I.R type front spoiler lip into my car, should get it in couple of weeks.For rearend iam going to install euro back bumber which i got waiting for installation in my garage.
Check out my car from <a href="http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/olli/" target="_blank">http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/olli/</a>
Those pictures are not good, because of the poor resolution.

Olli
'88 951
Old 09-16-2002, 12:00 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Olli, yes, your sidemarkers do sort of disappear. I have a black car also. Did you have to increase the bulb wattage to get the light to shine bright enough? I may try this.

I also may do something about the rear bumper as it looks like a kid just glued some piece of handy junk on the rear.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:05 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Dan, the bulps iam using have original watts.This paint is just incredible.I tried to send it to one of the rennlisters about a year ago, but it was just too expensive, because paints are considered as a "dangerous stuff" when you send them.

Olli
'88 951
Old 09-16-2002, 12:57 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by tifosiman:
<strong>That's one HUGE intercooler!</strong><hr></blockquote>
There's no way that's an intercooler, you can see that the stock radiator has been removed so that's probably what it is. Look at the plumbing, too. If it was an intercooler that's the worst plumbing geometry you could possibly have, no air will reach the upper fins in the core. Since he's got the nose piece removed he probably hasn't put the intercooler back in the car yet...and it would take an idiot to block off the entire radiator with an intercooler that big in the front.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:27 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

It's hard to tell by this photo (bad lighting), but it looks like the panel where the intercooler should go is somewhat curved in. Think it would fit in there?

Tifo

Quick Reply: Clear front indicator lenses