Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Rear Valance on NA - Price? Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Turbo Rear Valance on NA - Price? Opinion?

I've debated with doing this because I like my car to look super clean and original (wheels aside). But the NA's just look so unfinished from the rear. I know opinions run hot and cold on this issue, but I need yours. Please don't suggest those aftermarket valences with the vertical louvers - not to offend, but I HATE those.
I've been quoted about $350 from 944 Ecology, haven't tried Parts Heaven in Hayward, CA yet. I remember Sean (Mideastmafia?) saying he found his in some border town junkyard that didn't know what they had for like $25! Geesh, to be so lucky.
Anyway, anyone know a more reasonable place for price? Anyone have one to sell? I haven't found any on Ebay in quite a while and I've been looking. Thanks for any help-Dan
Old 03-20-2003, 02:34 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Technically, it fits the definition of 'rice' to the tee: trying to make your car look like a model/car that is faster.

I really prefer the raw look of the NA cars. The rear valence adds a bit of un-needed plastic, and the "grafted-on" look is unpleasing to my eye.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:35 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is one for sale on the Pelican Board
<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102797" target="_blank">web page</a>
Old 03-20-2003, 03:20 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

I think it looks awesome, and it's NOT rice... porsche added the rear valance for valid reasons to lots of cars (all turbos and S2s) It helps rear aerodynamics. Rice would be adding something from a non-porsche car to the rear. It's not purely cosmetic.

I sold mine on ebay for about $275.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Schlag - If you think it looks "grafted on" then it looks that way on the 951's and S2's also. But I understand the sentiment.

I too prefer a stock look. As for the term "rice" well....that's just the new word for "bad taste". when I was 16-25 there were just as lame of things some guys did to their cars, it just wasn't the era of Japanese imports. They put in light show boxes - colored lights behind cheap plastic diffuser panels, The lights changed to the music! Gawd! There were these things that would let flames come out your exhaust pipes when you gunned the engine. Lowriders had lights in the wheel wells 25 years ago. In short? Anything sold by the J.C. Whitney catalog. I think they're still in business. I know I'll start a flame war here, but the light panel between the 944 tail lights is a classic example of bad taste - "rice" by today's terminology. Okay, fire at will.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:45 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Dan and DangerIsland, the rear seems unfinished and the valance isn't rice. Also the aftermarket valance that Dan talks about kinda ruins the 944's curves IMO.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:50 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

I think the term "rice" is thrown around for anything anyone dislikes. I don't think a rear valance, or the front turbo bumper for that matter, should be called rice. Placing a sticker that reads "NOS" on the side of your car when it really isn't faster than an amish wagon... that would be rice, a huge aluminum spoiler on a FWD car, useless stickers that keep you from even seeing the paint... rice. just my 18237872 cents
Old 03-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

LED - Couldn't agree more. We have all had (or will have) an idea to do to our cars that we later wonder, "What the hell was I thinking". But you know what, the ricer boys have gone on so long now they are almost a whole separate (permanent?) subculture. Dare I say, like the guys with Highboys or the primered Fifties customs guys - Goth for Gearheads I call them.

Imagine, someday when you guys are my age (48) some guys will be nostaligically thinking back to their Del Sol's with the Ricerboy shift ***** and the trunk full of 12" subwoofers. Too bad they'll be too fat to fit in one then!!
Old 03-20-2003, 03:59 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would put one on my NA, but I don't know if I'll be replacing it with a 951 this year or not.
It will definately make the car look much better from the rear. I did buy one of those slotted valances, but when I saw what it looked like I decided not to install it.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:22 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

How is it not rice?

You're putting a cosmetic feature from a faster car onto your car. You're actually adding
weight in effort to make your car look like the aformentioned faster car. You may as well add a giant 996GT3 wing while you're at it.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:25 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by schlag:
<strong>How is it not rice?

You're putting a cosmetic feature from a faster car onto your car.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">It isn't just cosmetic, yes it does look better but it is a funtional spoiler made for the 944 body...
Old 03-20-2003, 04:34 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by schlag:
<strong>How is it not rice?

You're putting a cosmetic feature from a faster car onto your car. You're actually adding
weight in effort to make your car look like the aformentioned faster car. You may as well add a giant 996GT3 wing while you're at it.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">1) it's not "a cosmetic feature from a faster car" it's a useful aerodynamic part that porsche designed for a reason.

2) It weighs almost nothing

3) the 996GT3 wing was never put on a 944 body, this valance was.

Some people might put this on their car to "make it look faster" or "look like a faster car" but most people think it's a better factory design than not having one, and add it because it looks better and does some good.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:37 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the rear valence and that it will finish up the rear of the N/A. Would love to put one on my car. Not gonna be party to the rice v. not rice debate.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:41 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

In this occasion schlag, I would say that Porsche themselves said that the rear turbo valence both decreases drag (smoother airflow) and reduces lift. In this case it does the same thing on the NA car that it does on the Turbo, but the Turbo will benefit more at the top end because it is a faster car.

Now, installing a Supra wing which is really quite non-functional on a 3000GT, that could be considered rice. Or it could be considered nothing more than just a cosmetic upgrade to give the car a different look. Honestly, if someone could only afford or chose to buy the slower car and added a part from the faster or more expensive one because they didn't like some part on their car, I don't consider that a biggie. We put 968 parts (door handles and mirrors) on our cars....they are more expensive than our cars, but no one here I think would call that rice. I certainly don't...it's a cosmetic upgrade from a later and more expensive car that updates the look of ours in a positive way.

To me rice is often silly looking. Chevy Cavalier with the aforementioned huge aluminum wing on the back that is wider than the car....that is rice. Coffee can size exhausts on a 2-liter engine....rice. Lots of stickers, no real parts....rice. Combined all three together...REALLY ricey. Call Uncle Ben's!!!

Cheers!
Old 03-20-2003, 04:44 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Well said Andrew.
Turbo Valence is a nice upgrade to the NA.

Are bigger wheels also rice then?

Quick Reply: Turbo Rear Valance on NA - Price? Opinion?