Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Power Increase with Stand-alone ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

quick question: what would people recommend as the best standalone for the money, that can be adapted to different engines?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Haltech IMHO is one of the best standalones on the market right now and comparing it to something like motec its way way cheaper.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:38 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Everything is way way cheaper than Motec. Motec is obviously still the market leader but these guys are greedy. By comparison all the others are cheap. The Vitesse gear also works very well.

I really think you need to state what you want to do with your car and be realistic about it. In other words if you go to the trouble of modifying it do you think you will be more attracted to doing track events? If so, then there will be other costs involved as you know. I am more convinced everyday that having a fast and usable street car in Australia is pretty much redundant. There is too much policing and the concept of driving for entertainment has become a crime. So therefore get your kicks on the track...which brings us back to the reason for doing this.

Henk, you may need to translate some of that for us.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HJK
And there is a complete rotrex kit, with intercooler, injectors, software, piping, software etc at clubsport.nl that brings 320 to the rear wheels. But I dunno how good your dutch is..... I've just ordered the rotrex from them.

[I]944 S2 supercharged!
17-03-2009

Eigenlijk is het een 944 S met een 944 S2 motor dus de uiteindelijke bouw was iets gecompliceerder door dat er wat plaatwerk aan gepast moest worden, resultaat: een 320pk sterke S2! Doordat de 3 liter motor van nature al erg goed trekt onderin de toeren is het een ideaal circuit kanon geworden. Het grote voordeel van de Rotrex supercharger is dat hij zijn werk doet zonder turbo gat en daarmee kan de 944 snel en soepel uit een bocht accelereren. Buiten de Rotrex supercharger werden natuurlijk ook nog grotere injectoren, ander software geplaatst en nog wat technische aanpassingen. Motor zelf bleef helemaal standaard.

Kit voor de 944 S2 is nu leverbaar voor: €6900,- incl. BTW
Originally Posted by Google Translation
Dutch to English translation
Actually it is one with a 944 S 944 S2 engine so the final construction was complicated by something that had some sheet metal to be appropriate, result: 320PK a strong S2! Because the 3 liter engine by nature very well pull the bottom is an ideal touring circuit become cannon. The big advantage of the Rotrex supercharger is that his job without turbo hole 944 and thus can quickly and smoothly from one curve acceleration. Outside the Rotrex supercharger were also bigger injectors, software installed and some other technical adjustments. Engine was completely standard.

Kit for the 944 S2 is now available for: € 6900, - VAT included
Actually, the bit about "€ 6900, - VAT included" I could translate myself. (VAT in Holland is 19%, so ex VAT is about € 5700 -- about US$8000!)

Also, note "tubo lag" is "turbo hole" in Dutch. Gotta laugh!
Old 03-14-2010, 10:53 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
So it sounds like I'm either better off just getting a supercharger rather than spend money tuning in NA guise and retuning later with supercharger. So the options are:
(A) a supercharger and MAF kit (pretuned by Vitesse?)
(B) a supercharger and MOTEC + MAP sensor
(C) a supercharger in low boost (perhaps 4-5psi) with the standard AFM no tuning (but perhaps with uprated injectors).

(C) would be cheapest and perhaps most bang for buck (Raptor supercharger $2,200 + custom bracket $300 + hoses $300 + used injectors $100 + blowoff valve $100 + pulley $100= $3100). Guessing you could squeeze around 250-270 flywheel hp out of this. Perhaps add wideband O2 + fuel controller/interceptor.
Hi Eric, you're at the same point as me.

My findings are:
1. Motronic ain't bad. Tuning the Motronic can be done using tuning tools from Vitesse, FRWilk, or TunerPro.
2. AFM's ain't bad. No need to replace the AFM unless it is maxxed out. I'm about to do some datalogging to see if this is the case.
3. www.mapecu.com for a MAP conversion, I have no experience with it though.
4. TonyG makes a valid case for the GM LS1 computer as being the best choice of aftermarket ECU for the 944.
5. Wolf make a plug 'n' play ECU for the 944 racing series in Oz. I contacted them and they said they could supply an "unlocked" ECU for the same price.
6. Tuning is everything. Find a good tuning shop and then follow their recommendations.
7. Superchargers are cooooooooooooooool!

Mike
Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Hi Eric, you're at the same point as me.

My findings are:
1. Motronic ain't bad. Tuning the Motronic can be done using tuning tools from Vitesse, FRWilk, or TunerPro.
2. AFM's ain't bad. No need to replace the AFM unless it is maxxed out. I'm about to do some datalogging to see if this is the case.
3. www.mapecu.com for a MAP conversion, I have no experience with it though.
4. TonyG makes a valid case for the GM LS1 computer as being the best choice of aftermarket ECU for the 944.
5. Wolf make a plug 'n' play ECU for the 944 racing series in Oz. I contacted them and they said they could supply an "unlocked" ECU for the same price.
6. Tuning is everything. Find a good tuning shop and then follow their recommendations.
7. Superchargers are cooooooooooooooool!

Mike
Mike,

I've heard the AFMs can get upset by too much airflow or disturbance caused by the BOV. Not sure if this is really the case. I would presume that the AFM must go before the supercharger, whereas a MAP must go after.

The Wolf ECU for the challenge series is for a 2.5NA - not an S2. I don't think it would be plug and play for the S2 - different Motronic System.

Last edited by Eric_Oz_S2; 03-15-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:18 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Eric,

I was looking at Rotrex's preferred arrangement with the throttle butterfly on the inlet of the centrifugal supercharger - this apparently does away with the need for a BOV.

Yeah good point on the Wolf3D - here's the reply I got from Wolf:

Hi Mike,

Sorry for taking so long for the reply, we do an adaptor harness for the 944 but will need some modifications made to the pick up sensor.
These adaptors were made for race cars, so the pick up we use is on the front balance shaft pulley.
The other option is to modify the amount of pins on the fly wheel, this can be done if you require the balance shafts to be left in use.

Regards,
Robbie McQueen

I think we can use our existing crank sensor since the S2 has a 60-2 tooth arrangement which the Wolf can accept. Dunno about the harness and pinout though.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast951
Option (C) will cause you problems as the stock software will be fighting you (similar to what Dubai944 experienced).

Someone in the UK is running a 944S2 with a SC. I'm sure he'll share some valuable information with you based on first hand experience.
What in the stock software would cause problems. If the AFM is on the inlet side and running low boost (and not "maxxing" out the AFM) what do you think would cause problems?

That UK person is (I think) Peter Empson. I have been in contact with him - he is using the Scivision MAF.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

If the AFM is on the inlet side and running low boost (and not "maxxing" out the AFM) what do you think would cause problems?
You will have to explain this to me. The stock AFM simply reports the angle of the barndoor to the DME as a sensor input -- no? In what way would the boost level affect this ("maxing out") one way or the other?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
You will have to explain this to me. The stock AFM simply reports the angle of the barndoor to the DME as a sensor input -- no? In what way would the boost level affect this ("maxing out") one way or the other?
The AFM can only flow a certain volume before any further increase results in no further increase in output voltage. Therefore once beyond this value there is more air entering the engine, yet fuel and ignition remains unchanged - so potential to run lean. For example at peak power (5800 rpm) volume of air entering engine (atmospheric pressure) = 1.5 l/rev x 5800 x 60 = 522 m3/hr. If pressure increases (boosted) by say 0.4 then Vol = 522 x 1.4 = 730 m3/hr. I had a datasheet for the AFM, but can't find it. I think the capacity (to read flow) of the AFM is around 500 m3/hr - so it is already maxed out.

Out of interest, the S2 injectors flow 300 cc/min = 225 g/min = 54 kg/h (for 4). At atmospheric, mass of air at 5800 = 522 x 1.3kg/m3 = 679 kg/h. So the AFR = 12.5. So you can see the injectors are nearing the limit of engine power without boosting. If you add 0.4 bar boost, the weight of air increases by 40% and the AFRs lean out too much. Another rule of thumb for engine power is:

hp = lb/hr x 2.04, which gives about 240hp (29.2 x 4 x 2.04) for the S2. Similarly, using turbo injectors (37.6 lb/hr) gives you get about 305hp. 968s gives 33.9 x 4 x 2.04 = 275hp.

This gives an idea why with some tuning you will not get a power increase without uprating the injectors (or fuel pressure).
Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

What in the stock software would cause problems. If the AFM is on the inlet side and running low boost (and not "maxxing" out the AFM) what do you think would cause problems?

That UK person is (I think) Peter Empson. I have been in contact with him - he is using the Scivision MAF.
The stock software checks many variables under various running conditions. One of the variables is the signal from the AFM. When you go to forced induction, the AFM signal will be higher than in a NA form at the same RPM (forced induction = more flow or a higher AFM voltage).

Peter is using the Sci MAF, which in reality converts the MAF signal to look like a AFM. The DME still operates as if a AFM is being used (not a genuine MAF conversion).
Peter is using the Vitesse Software for his supercharged engine. In our software, we handle the various conditions associated with the forced induction.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
When you go to forced induction, the AFM signal will be higher than in a NA form at the same RPM (forced induction = more flow or a higher AFM voltage).
Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't realise the AFM sensed or measured flow directly at all -- I thought it just reported the position of the flap via a voltage, and the DME inferred the air flow on the basis of this information.

So how does the AFM actually measure air flow? A MAF uses the cooling of a heated wire; what's the actual mechanism used by the AFM? (I was under the impression that the reason MAFs and MAP sensors were in fact superior to the AFM was because they did actually measure air flow/volume directly.)
Old 03-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Mark,

Technically the AFM measures the angle of the vane. For the later AFMs, the angle is proportional to the voltage. The voltage is not linearly proportional to the flow - the ECU works out the "flow" based on a set of relationships provided by the AFM manufacturer. The ECU doesn't actually want to know flow though, it wants mass (to work out fuel ratio), so it uses the intake temp sensor to work out the air density and hence the mass. However, when you supercharge the temperatures also go up in the intake air, and hence there is actually less mass of of air then what the ECU thinks (notwithstanding the AFM may be beyond its measuring limits).
Old 03-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

The AFM can only flow a certain volume before any further increase results in no further increase in output voltage.
Thanks for the detailed reply, Eric, but as you can see from my post above, my conceptual problem might be more basic than this. I didn't think extra flow in itself would increase the AFM voltage, only a change in position of the air flap would do that, i.e. WOT returns max voltage regardless of the volume of air actually flowed.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't realise the AFM sensed or measured flow directly at all -- I thought it just reported the position of the flap via a voltage, and the DME inferred the air flow on the basis of this information.

So how does the AFM actually measure air flow? A MAF uses the cooling of a heated wire; what's the actual mechanism used by the AFM? (I was under the impression that the reason MAFs and MAP sensors were in fact superior to the AFM was because they did actually measure air flow/volume directly.)

Let's look at the big picture.
With forced induction, more air (compared to a NA form) goes through the AFM at the same RPM. With more air going through the barn door opens more and generates a higher voltage.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the AFM (Air FLow Meter) is measuring?

Quick Reply: S2 Power Increase with Stand-alone ECU?