Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Issue - Difficult to turn left

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 PM
MadisonT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Issue - Difficult to turn left

About a week ago my '86 944 developed a steering issue where I have a difficult time turning the steering wheel to the left from a centered position. To summarize the problem:

Car up on stands, engine off - no problems turning steering lock to lock.
Car up on stands, engine on - no problems turning steering lock to lock.
Car on ground, engine off - no problems turning steering lock to lock. Just regular resistance of dry steering.
Car on ground, engine on - Cannot turn the steering wheel past ~10 degrees to the left of center without significant effort. I have no problems turning the wheel to the right but experience the same issue at the same spot when turning the wheel back past center to the left. Also I can hear what I assume is the power steering pump straining and there is obviously more resistance on the alternator.

I then checked the power steering lines and found what I believe is a bulge in the line from the pump to the rack. Could this be what is preventing me from steering to the left? If so: how could this line have swollen and could I have damaged the pump in my drive home when I was forced to make a couple left turns by forcing the steering wheel?

This line: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...5%29%2C%20Each
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM
macho_mango
Instructor

I had a similar problem in my 84 944. Never did quite pin it down, but replacing the steering rack did the trick.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
MadisonT
Track Day

Originally Posted by macho_mango
I had a similar problem in my 84 944. Never did quite pin it down, but replacing the steering rack did the trick.
I actually replaced the steering rack with a rebuilt one from autozone last June. Maybe 5000kms or so ago... I really hope its not the rack.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:38 AM
macho_mango
Instructor

It might require rack dissaembly. Could be you have a kink somewhere stopping the fluid from circulating properly.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Auto Zone stands behind their racks and will replace it for free. Hope you kept the receipt, but if not they should have you in their CP system.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 AM
MadisonT
Track Day

It might require rack dissaembly. Could be you have a kink somewhere stopping the fluid from circulating properly.
I actually tried to reseal my old rack before I got a rebuilt one and I don't recall there being anywhere inside the actual rack for something to get kinked unless solid build-up within the rack itself caused a blockage. But in order for that to happen normally the solids damage the external seals and a leak develops.

I have also checked the lines on the exterior of the rack and they are fine but your comment leads me to believe that checking the lines from the pump to the rack might be the next best and easiest step.

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
I believe Auto Zone stands behind their racks and will replace it for free. Hope you kept the receipt, but if not they should have you in their CP system.

Cheers,
Larry
I do have my receipt but as I am Canadian it was a huge hassle dealing with Auto Zone over the phone already. My core deposit cheque took 6 months and many phone calls until i received it!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are small springs and pieces inside the rack valving system below the input shaft. I seem to remember that if one of those springs or parts goes bad, then the rack will not put power assist to one side or the other. Could be something like that. You will need to replace the bad hose anyway so put that on first to see if it helps out.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 AM
MadisonT
Track Day

Ok so; I do not think it is the power steering line that was causing me the steering issue, I say this because the line was passing power steering fluid just fine when I took it off to inspect it. I also took off the rubber boot covering it and the line wasn't bulging where I thought it was, instead I found a metal connector which was the hard bulge I felt...

So now; how do I go about testing if it is the power steering pump or if it is the rack? I would like to think it is the rack because the pump doesn't make any noise until I start turning left of center.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The pump is doing the same thing whether you turn right or left, so if you have power to one side then the pump is doing what it should when you turn the wheel both ways.

Quick Reply: Steering Issue - Difficult to turn left