Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 10:25 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Motorcycles

Well, there have been a fiew posts on this topic before, but I thought that I would add another. Next year is mu Senior year in high school and then it's off to college. While at college, I figure that a motorcycle is probibly an effecent means of transportation arround campus and off campus. My question is, what sort of suggestions do you have on purchasing, maintaining, and general motorcycle stuff. I have a lust for sport bikes (Suzuki GSXR 1000) but i think that a 1000cc bike is WAY too much for a beginner to handle. What's a good size? 600cc? 750cc?
Old 04-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first bike was an '86 Yamaha FZ600. It was a 600cc bike and was plenty for a beginner. I couldn't imagine driving anything bigger.
You can get a 250. Like a small Ninja or something. But literally after about a month you'll want something bigger.

I think any of the name brands are good. Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda. You even might want to look for one that's been dropped lightly. That way it will be cheaper to buy and it will save you from popping the cherry so to speak when you either lay it down or worse, crash. And I say when, because it's just a matter of time. It's not if you'll crash, but when. So wear your helmet and protective gear at all times! (Safety rant over)

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2003, 11:52 AM
lehtola
Instructor

More than you can handle? Hmmm...I've seen women ride big bikes like harleys.

How about a Pitbull by Big Dawg Motorcyle?

<a href="http://www.bigdogmotorcycles.com" target="_blank">www.bigdogmotorcycles.com</a>
Old 04-16-2003, 11:55 AM
pikey7
Drifting

If it's your first bike, you'll kill yourself on a gixer before you get round the first corner. If you're after a sports bike, start looking at something around 400cc-600cc. Maybe even as low as a 250 Aprilia (I had one, and believe me, these things ROCK!).

If you're going to be using it to go to college and back, you're probably best off with something a little more practical than an out-and-out sports bike. You don't want to be carrying stuff all of the time in rucksacks. Those things'll get you aswell. Imagine landing on a pile of books at 50MPH.

The easiest thing to do, is set yourself a budget (don't forget the essentials.... Helmet, leathers/suit, boots, gloves etc), and then take a look in a couple of magazines at the USED bikes. If it's your first, then you'll probably end up doing something stupid in the first 3-4 months (like drop it..... just don't ask!), so going for a brand spanker will just pi$$ you off, and probably dent your confidence.

Start off sensible, and if you find yourself hankering for a bit more, then you'll probably have no problem off-loading a good used buy for the same price as you paid, and then just keep on going up the scale.

I would suggest (for the sportier minded) to look at something like:
Kawasaki ZX6
Honda CBR600
Cagiva Raptor 650
Ducati Monster 600/620(Get the chequebook ready!)
Honda Hornet
Yamaha Fazer 600
Kawasaki ZXR400
KTM Duke (Supermoto is a laugh and a half)
MV Augusta F4 Brutale (Cos then I'll have it after you crash.... ) just kidding!
DON'T GET AN R6. same reason as the gixer.....

Hope that helps.. And have fun!
Old 04-16-2003, 12:05 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

I would also recommend something like the Honda CBR600. This bike is very controllable, and can be scary fast with a twitch of the wrist - Surprisingly comfortable for a sport bike too.

If you plan on doing a lot of commuting/travelling on it, a sporty touring bike might be your best bet. Don't go overboard getting the new Ducati - you want it, yeah, but you WILL drop it, and I'll squeeze you for every penny I can get when you then sell it to me.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:15 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

I am MOST defiantly looking in the used bike realm. A new bike is out of my price range and I know that I will do something dumb. What's wrong with the GSXR's? Tough to handle? Bad construction? What gives?
Old 04-16-2003, 01:26 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought my son a new 2001 CBR600F4I as his first street bike.

Respect the bikes power and you will be fine.

It is plenty fast!!!!!!!

Over 130 mph on a bike is spooky, I'd rather be in my car
Old 04-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by David Floyd:
<strong>...Respect the bikes power and you will be fine... </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">And if you have not done so... go take the Motorcycle Safety Course. Money well spent.

I too agree that something on the 400-650 range should be good.

In my case I love the looks of a sport bike but prefer the comfort of a cruiser.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

i like:
Honda CBR600F4i
Yamaha YZF-R6
Old 04-16-2003, 01:34 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

If you really like the GSXR's then get the 600. I personally think it should be a requirement to prove expierence before buying anything larger than a 600. You will get hurt. Plus, a 600 is a lot easier to flick around in traffic, insurance is much less. Tires last longer, chains last longer. Much less upkeep. I had a 600 Katana for years and loved it, plenty fast but more comfortable for a 6 foot tall guy than the gsxr.
Please, stay away from the liter class bikes until you have a couple of years riding under your belt.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Since you obviously read forums you might want to check out the forms on eSportbike.com. ( <a href="http://www.esportbike.com/" target="_blank">http://www.esportbike.com/</a>)

It's a very active board and it does have a lot to offer for a newbie.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Billy W
Racer

GSXRs are great bikes but just not for a novice. Like everyone else has said you need at the most a 600 to learn on for the street. BTW the street is a very bad place to learn to ride, buy a dirt bike and go out to the local track and learn to ride on it, dirt is much softer than pavement. I have had 2 CBRs and they have both been great bikes my first one was not stock and had 102hp at the rear wheel, I used it as a daily and it never let me down.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will concur with everyone else's suggestion, stick between 400-650 for your first. Any smaller and you will be ready to trade up in months, any larger and it will be too much as a starter. I am also a big fan of the older Honda Hurricane 600, I also like the Kawasaki EX500(and later ninja 500), or a nice mid-80's Interceptor with the classic red-white-blue schemes. Nice bikes and relatively cheap.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Al P.
Pro

Going to school where it doesn't rain or get cold?
If not having something with a roof is far more practical.
just a little thing to think about from an old biker.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Al P.:
<strong>Going to school where it doesn't rain or get cold?
If not having something with a roof is far more practical.
just a little thing to think about from an old biker.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Rain or cold? That's no reason not to ride a bike. If I still had mine I'd ride year-round. The only thing that prevented me in the past was snow, ice, and the biggest was too much wind.

Quick Reply: Motorcycles