Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darkening leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 06:13 PM
Mike 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Darkening leather seats

Hi again,
Has anyone tried using any type of shoe polish, or leather refreshener to bring back to life their leather seats? Also, I want to get the side driver seat re-dyed...anyone know the least expensive method? I don't want to get them professionally redone since they are in rather good condition.
Thanks
Old 01-02-2002, 06:16 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Go to carcareonline.com. The product you want is made by Surflex. I had my black sport seat bolsters done in my old 944 and it was perfect. The can do odd colors as well with a sample, but it's expensive.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:37 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Just finished dyeing my leather rear seats black (previously tan). Never done anything like it before and man I think they look like new now. I used the Sureflex product as distributed from colorplus.com which I highly recommend. They have a very informative website and explain all the detail regarding leather care. If you're willing to do it yourself and have time it's a good option. I bought the small can ( I think it was a half pint) and that was more than enough for the seats. Cost: $37.00 If you have cracks or mars in the leather you can also buy a repair compound for another $15 or so.

Good luck, Mike
Old 01-02-2002, 10:16 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
A long time ago I did this with the tan leather interior to a Volvo....my black interior was full of cracks and I purchased a perfect and complete interior in tan for under $100....I actually went to a real, old-time shoe-maker....he sold me what he used to die shoes.....It worked perfectly and was a two part system consisting of a prep liquid and a dye....that was in 1984 and I last saw that car about 5yrs ago ( it stayed in the extended family) and still looked great!

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2002, 01:49 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My interior is a 1/2 black 1/2 burgandy (looks real nice actually), but the seats are burgandy all over. The seats are the vinyl ones with the porsche script fabric middle. I wanted to dye the middle to have a black/burgandy seat. Is this possible with fabric or will I just end up dyeing the seat of my pants black????
Old 01-03-2002, 11:50 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Can we see some pics of that interior Lemon??

I have burgundy also.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unfortunately, I dont have a film camera, let alone a digital one. I have a couple pics of my car which I'll scan though.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:55 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by michael2e:
<strong>Just finished dyeing my leather rear seats black (previously tan). Never done anything like it before and man I think they look like new now. I used the Sureflex product as distributed from colorplus.com which I highly recommend. They have a very informative website and explain all the detail regarding leather care. If you're willing to do it yourself and have time it's a good option. I bought the small can ( I think it was a half pint) and that was more than enough for the seats. Cost: $37.00 If you have cracks or mars in the leather you can also buy a repair compound for another $15 or so.

Good luck, Mike</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm looking into this now...Did you use the generic black and it matched OK or did you need to use the "Porsche" black? check it out here <a href="http://www.colorplus.com/frameset_products.html" target="_blank">http://www.colorplus.com/frameset_products.html</a> if you don't remember...maybe that will jog your memory.

I'm planning on only dying the bolsters only...so I need it to be a close match.

Did you think it was necesary to use their "9 Soft Hair Brush-1" ?

thanks,
Adrial
Old 06-02-2002, 06:58 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Lemon holy crap, I realize you put all of you money into you car like the rest of us but one in a while you got to put 15 bucks aside for something else! I have been know to save up a few dollars and buy a case of Guinness...but thats it. my girlfriend hates me....I spend 20 times as much on my car than her. do PCA events count as Dates? she dosent think so!

Quick Reply: Darkening leather seats