Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance shaft o-rings

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 07:52 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Post Balance shaft o-rings

I can't seem to find decent explanation (in factory manuals) of how to remove the front balance shaft o-rings. Do you simply remove the two front housings, the one with 3 bolts in the top balance shaft, and the big mess that holds the ps pump? Is there anything tricky about lining up these housings or do you just slap them back on? I'm not really worried about the o-ring seals, I will be replacing the seals at the front of the balance shafts, crank, and camshaft. (basically I don't want to remove more crap just to install two o-rings ).
Old 08-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nothing tricky, but might as well do the seals and mylar washers while you're in there. Make sure you put the balance shaft pulleys back on the right way, I believe the "o" is visible in the oval slot for the upper one and the "o" is visible in the rectangular slot on the bottom. Use a little wd-40 on the woodruff keys and it will be easier to remove them too. A seal kit is about $90.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Just reread your post. Yes go ahead and replace the o rings and mylar washers when you replace the seals. You'll be glad you did. Replacing the camshaft seal can be a PITA, be prepared to use a new 12 point bolt, as the old one will probably strip, or refuse to come out. I ended up grinding the head of the bolt off to remove it. However I used a cambolt from a Mercedes as a replacement as it was an allen head. The head of the bolt was a bit larger (thicker, rotor wouldn't go on far enough) so I just ground the head down to the thickness of the stock bolt. Use some loctite when reinstalling the cambolt and torque to the proper spec (51 ft lbs I think). Seals are a breeze, you can just stick a small scredriver through the face of the seal and pry it out without damaging the seal seat. Be very careful when installing the mylar washers, lube them and make sure you get the old ones off, they may be on the shaft or in the housing. HTH
Old 08-30-2002, 10:37 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type_LT,

The o-rings are in the back of the balance shaft carriers/housings. You have to remove the carriers/housings to get access to the o-rings and the seals. You should also replace the sleeves inside the housings. Once you remove the housings, you'll see what I mean by the sleeves.
The top balance shaft housing's bolts are fully visible; 3 10mm bolts. The bottom left balance shaft's bolts are tricky. I believe there are 3 in the front and 1 in the BACK! I was told that there was another bolt that existed, but I really didn't pay attention until I attempted to separate the housing from the engine; wouldn't budge. I then noticed the bolt in the back, near the power steering mount. The bolt is hidden and is behind the housing, not in the front of the housing.

When I replaced the seals, o-rings, mylar "onion-skin" ring and steel sleeves, I measured the sleeves. My car has 74,000 miles on it and there is a measurable difference of about 1 thousandths between the new sleeve and the old. Not alot, but I replaced the sleeve anyways, very easy to do but costs ~ $30/sleeve.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 08-30-2002, 10:59 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto on all the above, just remember to tighten them down evenly. A bit of grease on the o-ring will help the housing slip back in. Be especially careful which seal goes where, the balance shaft seals are different in both size and rotation. The sleeves should be replaced as well, while you're in there...
Mine measured at .005" under. No wonder I had a leak and the seal job the po had done didn't replace the sleeves, o-rings, or the mylar washers. No wonder it leaked so bad.

Dave
Old 09-01-2002, 10:34 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if there is supposed to be another "O" ring besides the one used to seal the housing?

Is there one beween the mylar seal and the balance shaft? It seems the the end of the shaft has a lip that would be right for an "O" ring. My mylar seal came out all crumnpled.

Is there supposed to be another "O" ring inside the housingin front of the collar? There is a machined groove there, too.

None of the manuals show these "O" rings, but Pasha mentioned one in his Excellence article. It didn't appear like he was writing about the housing seal because he wrote about replaceing the seals without removing the housing. And I think I see an "O" ring in the Haynes manual picture where the mylar seal is slid on the shaft.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:21 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

no, no o-ring is there, Only on the housing itself.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:12 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Well I was able to get the balance shaft and crankshaft seals removed no problem with a little screwdriver and a hammer. There is a mylar o-ring that you replace without removing either balance shaft housing, they slide behind the bearing you can remove after the balance gears and woodruff key are removed. Thanks for you help guys!
Old 09-02-2002, 09:21 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you planning to replace those sleeve on the balance shafts and the cam? You should unless they are in super shape. Any grooving from wear will allow it to leak oil very soon.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Dave, I don't remember seeing any wear on the balance shaft sleeves. I wish I would have looked a bit more carefully however now that I have the belts and new seals in it's a bit too late. I see what your saying through, there really isn't a seal there just the tolerance between the shaft and the bearing sleeve...

Quick Reply: Balance shaft o-rings