Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest tires without rubbing on 924S

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:35 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
Start looking at the offsets. You will not find Fuchs. For lack of better terms: a 924S is an early offset chassis that uses late offset wheels and even then you have very little room in the rear. Thirdgenbird has one of the best set-ups available for 17" wheels in my opinion. 16" wheels give you a few more options, but the offset is key in any case.
thanks! whalebird is referring to my street setup. i have also have four 16x7 clubsports that i will be trying with 225s on this summer (for track use) i will also try and get new pictures this spring for those sick of these.

street
17x6.5 in cayman fronts, 205 tires, 1/4in spacers, and longer 911 studs an all four corners:

this setup fills the wheel wells perfectly and drives very balances.

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
OK, here is my 2C..

With proper suspension I am sure a set of 33" super swampers would fit, maybe even 36s if you need ... but the road noise and understeer would be horrible..
this is a little misleading. unless significant suspension modifications took place, a 35 would require a lot of negative offset and trimming. fortunately, it does not appear that the trimming would interfere with the operation of the rear hatch.

on the front the best solution would probably be an "open wheel option" with a limited turning radius. again, this would require a negative offset and possibly a revised power steering system.

to avoid the possible driving issues john warned about and the installation headaches, i made the decision to install these tires on my f150. fortunately, it also wears 17in wheels and only required a small spacer on the top of the front coil.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 02-18-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinkin i'll just run the phone dials with an aggressive street alignment for now and once i do my suspension (bilsteins and sways) i'll go with the full out race alignment and try to squeeze a little more tire under there. But for now the 225 with an aggressive street alignment seems the most reasonable choice. thanks guys.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
thanks! whalebird is referring to my street setup. i have also have four 16x7 clubsports that i will be trying with 225s on this summer (for track use) i will also try and get new pictures this spring for those sick of these.

street
17x6.5 in cayman fronts, 205 tires, 1/4in spacers, and longer 911 studs an all four corners:

this setup fills the wheel wells perfectly and drives very balances.

this is a little misleading. unless significant suspension modifications took place, a 35 would require a lot of negative offset and trimming. fortunately, it does not appear that the trimming would interfere with the operation of the rear hatch.

on the front the best solution would probably be an "open wheel option" with a limited turning radius. again, this would require a negative offset and possibly a revised power steering system.

to avoid the possible driving issues john warned about and the installation headaches, i made the decision to install these tires on my f150. fortunately, it also wears 17in wheels and only required a small spacer on the top of the front coil.
where did you get those cayman rims and how much? if you don't mind me asking.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by Arominus
where did you get those cayman rims and how much? if you don't mind me asking.
of course i dont mind that you ask.

Wheel Enhancement:
Cayman wheels
center caps
spacers

Paragon:
911 studs
steel lug nuts

i can not speak enough praise for either company. my experiences were fantastic.

i honestly can not recall what i payed for any of it. i got good at blocking out costs after my first summer with the car. before you copy my car exactly, i would look into the other oem options wheel enhancement offers.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol ok, thanks thirdgen, i'm trying to consider all of my summer tire options, i have 15" dials right now along with some Z1 star specs for summer detail but im really thinking i want to move to a 16" (or those bitchin' 17's) for summer driving/cross country trips. The z1's are a bit smaller than the stock 195's on it and turn a few hundred rpm more at 80-90mph. Not exactly ideal for 1500mile drives. I'd just use the 15's for autocross/de work then.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

options are good. like i said, ive got 16s that i plan to put to autox and hpde use and a set of 15in dials and random suspension parts making up my coffee and end tables.

Quick Reply: Biggest tires without rubbing on 924S