Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yellow 84 with 85 motor craigslist *cheep*

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Tempermental
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yellow 84 with 85 motor craigslist *cheep*

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/1580042689.html

He's been trying to get rid of this for awhile -might be perfect for someone.

No affiliation
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 PM
karta313
4th Gear

I actually went and looked at this car in April of last year when I was looking for a 944. At the time, it had a seized motor, on top of all the body work and interior restoration that needed to be done. The asking price at that time was also $800.

It was very apparent that at one time this was one heck of a car. Whoever had owned it originally put a lot of work into it and really took care of it. The transmission case was painted yellow to match the car (which was also painted yellow by the previous owner, so I was told, and painted right, all the door jams and everything), the interior had yellow trim... this car was really nice at one point.

The interior was in rough shape, as well as the body. You can see the damage on the front, and I do remember a big crease in front of one of the doors, as well as a hole in the body from an alarm system or something. There were also several wires hanging down underneath the car. Overall it was not great. Someone bought it and swapped an engine into it apparently.

Just an FYI for anyone interested, this is best suited as a parts car. Could be a good deal if you can talk him down a bit.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Ive been looking at that for a while. All I would pay for that mess is 300$ tops.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

1984 porsche body with a used 1985 motor just replaced couple months back, bout 98,xxx miles on motor and 121,xxx on body. car has been garaged when i bought it to restore it. needs some body work here and there, but does not have rot or rust. the interoir was being restored untill i lost intrest in it, so some of the intoior has to be re-installed, not to big of a deal of installing the door panels, backseat and back carpet. car runs just needs a new battery and the streering colum has to re-installed, and needs to be inspected. all 4 tires are brand new. 5spd tranny is rebuilt by APC. car is great, willing to sell for $750 will trade for a decent car but has to 5spd. e-mail me for more info. p.s car needs to be towed

I'm fully convinced that 99% of all people that sell cars on Craigslist have not graduated from high school. Or even middle school.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Oh, one more thing. I never had a car when I was younger. Nowadays that sounds cool, like I was eco hip years ahead of the curve. But the truth is that I wanted a car very badly and would have happily driven a Ford Pinto that ran on veal cutlets if that's what had been available to me. The rare times that I was allowed to drive, I would get my mom's Pontiac 6000 LE. One of my 15-year-old friends lost a watch in that car during a night of me driving back and forth from the 24-hour Perkins, and we should have been able to find it since the alarm went off once every hour. We didn't and as long as my mom owned that car the watch would beep from somewhere in the depths of the backseat on the hour. It might sound like something that would be annoying, but you got used to it. Plus, it's not like you're supposed to be sleeping when you're driving, so it was kind of nice to have a little alert every hour. Every year the beep would get a little quieter as the battery faded. If I'd been able to find the watch, I would have put in a new battery and tucked it back away before we traded in that car.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Tempermental
Advanced

I'm fully convinced that 99% of all people that sell cars on Craigslist have not graduated from high school. Or even middle school.
Perhaps his use of vernacular appeals to a certain type of individual

How much is a rebuilt transmission?

Ive been looking at that for a while. All I would pay for that mess is 300$ tops.
agreed
Old 02-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Probably not even 300$ ahahaha
Old 02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
supes6
Racer

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Oh, one more thing. I never had a car when I was younger. Nowadays that sounds cool, like I was eco hip years ahead of the curve. But the truth is that I wanted a car very badly and would have happily driven a Ford Pinto that ran on veal cutlets if that's what had been available to me. The rare times that I was allowed to drive, I would get my mom's Pontiac 6000 LE. One of my 15-year-old friends lost a watch in that car during a night of me driving back and forth from the 24-hour Perkins, and we should have been able to find it since the alarm went off once every hour. We didn't and as long as my mom owned that car the watch would beep from somewhere in the depths of the backseat on the hour. It might sound like something that would be annoying, but you got used to it. Plus, it's not like you're supposed to be sleeping when you're driving, so it was kind of nice to have a little alert every hour. Every year the beep would get a little quieter as the battery faded. If I'd been able to find the watch, I would have put in a new battery and tucked it back away before we traded in that car.
so how's that working out for you..?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:30 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by supes6
so how's that working out for you..?
Its not, since the car is gone.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tempermental
Perhaps his use of vernacular appeals to a certain type of individual

How much is a rebuilt transmission?

agreed
A rebuilt transmission is worth more than $300 if you could verify it was recently rebuilt and didn't have the crap beaten outta it. From the looks of the rest of the car, and the ad, I'm going to guess this one is less than pristine and could have been rebuilt eons ago.

So, in the case of this car..................not much.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
supes6
Racer

Its not, since the car is gone.
sorry.. not talking about the story. what I meant was, how is "being clever" working out for you?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sometimes wonder if 99% of the people on this forum...well. Not much going on in the 944 forum these days. Nothing but junk out there on CL/Ebay and the like. Those that do have nice cars and experience in some technical capacity are not on the 944 threads.

tifo...would love to read a good clown story..
Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by supes6
sorry.. not talking about the story. what I meant was, how is "being clever" working out for you?

Just fine. Thanks for asking.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 AM
karta313
4th Gear

I wouldn't trust the transmission being rebuilt without a receipt. The response I got when I looked at it was "I'm told that's rebuilt" and I'm fairly certain that was the previous owner. I offered him $250 just to see what he'd say. He said no way "it runs and drives it just needs a battery and the steering column put back in." Not really running and driving to me... heck I have a Model A and a Model T or two sittin in the woods that just need a tune up and wheels haha.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sad truth is, they probably were graduated from high school with the demonstrated command of the English language!

Quick Reply: yellow 84 with 85 motor craigslist *cheep*