Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket exhausts. Bursch. Use them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Aftermarket exhausts. Bursch. Use them?

I have a 944, with what used to be a very nice looking header, that is getting rusty etc. I was recomended by my local mechanic to "use only factory Porsche" stuff. I have no problems using non factory stuff, as long as it is equal or better for quality/performance.

I searched the forums and found a short thread about this header:

Headers, Bursch 1983-89 944 For Porsche

Anyone else using aftermarket headers? or is the stock part superior? I'm not looking for major performance increases, nor am I looking for a noisy exhaust (my 944 is a convertable)
I'm there appears to be quite a difference in prices out there as well.

Thoughts?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:09 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

theres a guy who recently installed the bursch header nad cat delete pipe, who says hes happy with it...but hes been promising video for a while now.

but im also thinking about it, it is a very nice looking peice.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want actual performance gain, call up Fordahl Motorsports and get their headers. The make a noticeable difference in mid-range torque. Unfortunately you might need the rest of their system as well, or will have to fab up some changes to the rest of your system to make it mate up. But it is worth it IMHO.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Lyndsey Racing has MSDS headers that might be worth looking at, with them and exhaust from them you'll be looking at about $600-800

link to Fordahl website?
Old 02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have known a number of Bursch headers to crack.

There are not cheap performance headers for a 944. All the cheaper aftermarket stuff make no hp (Bursch, MSDS). The only stuff that might are some special stuff made by racing shop and expect to pay 600+. Even you will be lucky to see 5hp.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have aftermarket headers on but it has been so long since I put them on that I do not know the brand. I can tell you that my 83 with the headers and a chip is a lot more powerfull than our 87 944. Things like weight, tuning and compression of the engine are all variables that could be the difference so it is impossible to say for sure how much the headers actually increase HP. As far as sound it is definitely louder but I do not think you would notice much difference driving down the road. Probably just louder at standstill.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:44 PM
smokin_944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno but my 84 has MSDS headers and they seem to have improved the midrange grunt somewhat. As far as I'm concerned they are a decent upgrade on stock, but louder. Not a subtle exhaust at all. I had to upgrade the stereo...
Old 02-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

In my opinion, factory headers with ceremic/metal coating and a factory exhaust is the way to go. Or if you want to tune, a supertrapp. If you're worried about looks, then go with all the other ones!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

leave it on. bad idea even messing with it. get rid of the cat. get a hooker Maxflo muffler. unreal sound.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Impressions can be deceiving. I have two cat-back setups, one open setup fabbed for track use (NOISY) and one for street. I swear the street setup has more midrange. But It's very possible that it's just the absence of noise that makes the power come on more noticeably. In other words, you tend to feel the thrust when it's not accompanied by so much exhaust sound. Without back-to-back tests on identical (or the same) cars, under identical conditions, it's all conjecture. That said, an LS1 probably is faster than OEM. ;-)
Old 02-07-2010, 03:12 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

My Bursch cracked on two of the downtubes. I'll not buy another.

Tom
Old 02-07-2010, 04:51 PM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

I installed a bursch header/straight pipe in my 924S a little while ago and i love it. Header sounds amazing and the straight pipe adds a raspyness that makes it complete. The quality looks solid and fitment was fantastic. I don't know about the 951 but header for my car was very nice. If you pm me your cell number i'll send you a video. Its not the best quality but it gives you an idea.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:25 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I have MSDS headers and the Lindsey exhaust system on my car. I can't offer a truly objective opinion on how the system compares to stock because my car came with the MSDS headers on it, but I will say that the system is loud, even with the high flow cat and Magnaflow muffler. I personally like the noise and I think the combination has helped my top end power a bit, but if you're looking for a subtle change to the exhaust note, you're barking up the wrong tree...I'd suggest maybe looking at SFR or B&B catbacks for that - I believe both bolt up to the stock headers/cat and offer a small performance gain
Old 02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've used a Bursch header and testpipe on my 84 for 24 years!! No cracks, leaks or errors... The header provides what any header should, less restrictive exhaust, somewhat lower torque at low rpms, improvement in power at mid to upper rpms and noticeable increase in noise. Combined with a low restriction intake and "improved" ecu, it provides a perceived performance increase and a sportier sound. However, the OEM manifold on later cars probably provides close to same flow without the attendant noisy aggravations.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:34 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the responses! I've had the car up on the hoist again, and this header was installed with a cat delete pipe that has obviously had issues, and has been poorly patched. The header though rusty is not leaking.

I guess I will live with the header for now, but I need to replace the delete pipe. It is leaking again. The header has fairly long primaries that extend further aft of the firewall before merging in to a 2-1 collector. I am going to try and indentify the header, and hope it will give me an idea whether to go back to stock, or try my luck with another header.

This is a bit tough, as the car has been modified, and I am still trying to work out what all may or may not be modified. I don't want to reduce the performance. It does feel very strong under WOT. Nice torquey feel to it.

Scott.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhausts. Bursch. Use them?