Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lindsey Ultra Mount with Solid Tranny Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 AM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lindsey Ultra Mount with Solid Tranny Mount

I currently have a solid tranny mount and am looking to go to the Lindsey Ultra mount up front. Good idea or bad idea? Does the Ultra mount up front provide enough dampening or should I just replace with OEM? Also would lowering the motor with the adjustability put too much stress on the torque tube due to the solid mount in the rear?

BTW, this is for a race car not a street car.

Thanks
Brian
Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 507 Posts

your testes will shake themselves off your body
Old 01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
your testes will shake themselves off your body
OH Come on!...

No worries over the stress placed on the torque tube, as it will pass any stress to the trans support cross member, if worried about that, you could shim the solid trans mount to compensate for the small angle difference at the cross member...
Old 01-31-2010, 02:48 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have ALL solid, front and back. What I did determine was that lowering the motor did make the trans a little harder to line up with the motor locked down in front.

I too am going to go to the ultra mounts up front I think. I did have a bit of vibration issues but I don't know for sure whether the new motor is potentially a bit off balance. This year I will be trying a known good stock motor so I'll see for sure.

I broke two exhaust systems this year that I believe was due to the vibration. Again, not sure the exact source and I'll be troubleshooting this spring.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:01 PM
ckuhtz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

schwank, with or without balance shafts?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:24 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

When I broke the exhausts I still had balance shafts hooked up. I have done belts many times now and triple checked the alignments of the pulleys, etc.

I then went to a fordahl header and exhaust setup, and ran several events but still had a ton of vibration, particularly at high RPMS. I also tried running the engine with no balance belts with no change. I cracked a fuel rail even, so it is something I have got to get figured out. The motor was built freshly by a machine shop but had tons of work done to it. Balancing, crank polish and cross drill, etc.

As I said, when my winter mods begin in a couple weeks I will do a motor swap to a factory motor with a refresh. At that time I will install the ultra mounts. If that doesn't work I might swap the trans mount out for something else too.

Ah, the fun of race cars!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:39 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by schwank
When I broke the exhausts I still had balance shafts hooked up. I have done belts many times now and triple checked the alignments of the pulleys, etc.

I then went to a fordahl header and exhaust setup, and ran several events but still had a ton of vibration, particularly at high RPMS. I also tried running the engine with no balance belts with no change. I cracked a fuel rail even, so it is something I have got to get figured out. The motor was built freshly by a machine shop but had tons of work done to it. Balancing, crank polish and cross drill, etc.

As I said, when my winter mods begin in a couple weeks I will do a motor swap to a factory motor with a refresh. At that time I will install the ultra mounts. If that doesn't work I might swap the trans mount out for something else too.

Ah, the fun of race cars!
Dude, I'm willing to bet your source of vibration is not your engine, but something further downstream in the drive train... Have you rebuilt your torque tube? Was the clutch and flywheel balanced together as an assy? what state is your trans in? a small imbalance in any of those components will be enhanced when going to solid mounts, and will make you think it is the engine as it will change with engine RPM (especially the clutch / flywheel, but also the torque tube and trans input shaft & bearings). The clutch and flywheel are the easiest pieces of the equation to balance, followed by the torque tube, and lastly the trans.

Your exhaust, did the original have the expansion joints, and does your new one have them?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I am open to that but the torque tube was fine the year before so unless something happened to it... Flywheel and clutch were pretty new and reused from the previous motor as well. Clutch actually went bad the end of the year so I'll have a new Fordahl clutch and flywheel setup this winter. Trans was also freshly rebuilt last winter. Maybe as the OP states, the weird pressure of lowering the motor with all solid mounts is causing some stress in the TT.

That's where I am at... chasing everything that could be or have been done wrong. I am not giving up on that motor for sure... too much money in it. Just using stuff I have access to in order to narrow down the options. Luckily that includes spare engines are just hanging around

So back to the OP's question, I don't think it would be a problem if everything else was in good shape. Perhaps the geometry could be a concern, but that's what we get when doing this sort of stuff I guess. I have noticed that Lindsey also now offers an Ultra Trans Mount too.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm, looks like I need to go set a few weekends aside soon to get started on der schwankmobile.

To the OP, I'm still not sure what the issue with Eric's vibration issue is. We've got some ideas but certainly with solid everything the car is MUCH stiffer and shakey than it was previously. Hell just driving it around in the pits about shook my teeth out.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

I run Supermounts (pretty much the same as Ultramounts but with out the height adjustability) with a solid mount in the rear on my racecar and it is fine. Not much vibration at all.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

This is the setup I have run on my car since spring 09, no problems yet.

Quick Reply: Lindsey Ultra Mount with Solid Tranny Mount