Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermoswitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 AM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermoswitch

So I replaced the radiator and thermoswitch 18 months ago. I was out this weekend (60 degrees in Houston) and I started over heating. Both fans are operating correctly. I can't imagine it is the radiator (or I'm going to be steamed no pun intended). You think my thermoswitch is bad?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
smokin_944
Racer

If the fans work correctly, both slow and high speeds, the problem you have is elsewhere. When you replaced the rad and switch did you bleed the system correctly? How old is the thermostat?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

is it still leaking? did you crack the radiator by over tightening the switch?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM
ZW 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the car has been running for a while, and shows warm/hot on the temp gauge, pop the hood and feel the lower radiator hose. it should be hot to the touch. (not quite as hot as the upper rad hose). If it isn't then the problem lies with your thermostat; the thermofan switch may, or may not be working. I myself have been having problems with thermostats - I don't know why, but Just the other day I was running the car, and the lower hose was cold as the engine was midway between bars. I've replaced the thermostat 3 times now....
Old 01-29-2010, 05:35 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZW 944
After the car has been running for a while, and shows warm/hot on the temp gauge, pop the hood and feel the lower radiator hose. it should be hot to the touch. (not quite as hot as the upper rad hose). If it isn't then the problem lies with your thermostat; the thermofan switch may, or may not be working. I myself have been having problems with thermostats - I don't know why, but Just the other day I was running the car, and the lower hose was cold as the engine was midway between bars. I've replaced the thermostat 3 times now....
exactly my problem! finally ordered an o.e.m. unit.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 PM
ZW 944
Racer

I've tried two different NAPA variants all which are supposed to open at OEM spec temps, and the paragon one. I even found recommendations on other car forums to drill two small holes to a little allow water to pass through when the thing is shut to aide it in heating the wax core so that it opens. This technique helps so that it doesn't run hotter than normal except when sitting.

Maybe OEM is the way to go. did you just buy it from the dealer?

Edit: it appears the paragon thermostat is the OEM piece.

Why is it so hard to find something so simple that just WORKS? Are there any good reputable names in thermostats?

I swear that I'll just run without one as soon as it starts to get warm again...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

The right thermostat is made by Walher, for 83-88, use Part No. 944-106-129-05. NAPA carries one in stock to fit a 944, it is shorter and needs a spacer to fit right, but they have to order the Wahler that fits correctly. It is also sold at Pelican Parts, 944online, etc..

Cheers,
Larry
Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

yes, ordered wahler from vertex. everybody seemed to have about the same price. i hope mine acts better this time around. i currently have an advance auto piece, tried autozone first time, then had a napa, which was bad out of the box, then another napa........this was all in the span of close to 8 years daily driving.

no other car of mine has ran so inconsistent or needed a thermostat more than once in a 20 year span....

Quick Reply: Thermoswitch