Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper Pad delete DIY questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 PM
rhs63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bumper Pad delete DIY questions

I've been thinking about how to improve and modernize the look of my '86 NA. The obvious things would be the 968 mirrors, door handles, spoiler, European bumper etc, but I don't want to spend that kind of money. I'd rather buy a 968 one day...
So my goal is to spent little money and keep the overall characteristics of the 944. One project that is on the the way are clear front turn signals and side markers with chrome bulbs, and the rear turn signal will be covered with red transparent vinyl. All the parts cost me less than $200 and should improve the appearance nicely.

Now, I recently found some threads and pictures discussing the front and rear bumper pad delete. I like the look a lot and decided to go ahead with it. I don't want to spend 100's of $$$ on getting the holes welded and get both bumpers painted in a shop, so I'm looking for advice for doing it myself.

First question, can I use JB Weld and Bondo to fill the holes? What's the best approach?
Second question, for the repaint. My car is the regular black L041, can I get spray cans with that color? What works best?
And third, should I put a clearcoat on top of it? What brand would you recommend?

Any advice appreciated, I've never really done any bodywork on a car.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:50 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u COULD. but just be sure not to try to put anything on it later. like drilling for a mount.

u can try to get rattlecans for it. i know u can get 3m rattlecans that look extremely good. or u can try to roller paint on. the paint method is only 1/3 of it. the other 2/3's are prepping the surface and polishing it afterwards. alotta work involved.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been alot of people that have tried several methods of filling in the holes. The only thing that has worked is to have the holes filled using a TIG Welder and sanding down smooth. JB Weld and body filler will shrink over time and leave a dimple where the holes were located. If you want to do something to the car go ahead with the light lens you talk about. Believe me, you need those rubber bumper pads the way people drive, especially in parking lots. Rattle can paint is just what you pay for CHEAP.
Buy some Mothers' Back to Black and do the bumper pads and the rear spoiler. They will look much better. Your car to do with as you please as long as you are satisfied no one else matters.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 01-16-2010, 01:50 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my advice is this...

leave the bumper pads on - they look good and shaving them will just make it look silly- i have shaved the rear bumper pads before and if you do and dont get them welded, use some Metal Fill - its a silver aluminum filler w/ resin mixed in. The bumper side pieces can be filled w/ another piece of eurethane bumper cut to fit and Autozone carries some plastic/eurethane/bumper repair resin type stuff.

The rear corners can be sprayed with some Testors model spray CANDY APPLE RED- transparent- just tape up the corner lense, clean it, spray on some Adhesion promotor-Autozone carries this in cans- and put a few coats of Candy red on there until it matches then clearcoat w/ some Plastikote Clearcoat-the wheel/mag clear works best for UV protection.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:44 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the holes in the aluminum bumper are not properly welded, you will see outlines of whatever filler you use. The rate of expansion/contraction with thin amounts of metal filler or bondo are not that of a thick aluminum bumper...they will likely crack or shrink and show ghosts of the holes.

If you take the bumper to a tig welder...for $50 cash he can fill them properly. As for the plastic bumperette holes...what Dan said.

ps..I did my original front bumper with metal filler and I saw ghosts and eventually cracks.

Quick Reply: Bumper Pad delete DIY questions