Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C RANT

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 10:02 PM
MK802
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A/C RANT

Please allow me to RANT about air conditioning here…
Any body out there have any idea how hard it is to rebuild an auto air conditioning compressor? I’m so tired of getting ripped off by the A/C guys when they say: “Well you’re going to need a new compressor.” I mean it’s just a pump right? With seals that wear out and can be replaced, right? So why are they so damn expensive?
About 11 months ago I had my then non-working system in my ’91 S2 refilled with R-134A and some oil made by an outfit called BG Products. The technician assured me, and the web site for the product claimed that, it was compatible with both the R134 PAG oil and the traces of mineral oil left over from the old refrigerant and that the compressor would work OK. And it did, I was very happy with the cold air out of the vents here in Central Texas and I even ran it for a few minutes each time I drove the car all winter to keep the seals lubed etc. But on the first warm day we had recently I noticed it wasn’t working again and upon investigation noticed the compressor clutch was not engaging and so I figured I had another leak. But the shop says it’s the compressor that’s leaking. I only put 5K miles on the car last year, could that be long enough to kill a perfectly working compressor? So I ask again, is it that hard to rebuild a compressor?
Incidentally, they charged me $670 for a rebuilt compressor, does that sound right?

Any knowledgeable comments would be most appreciated.

Mark K.
’91 S2
Old 03-27-2003, 10:11 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Currious as to why you switched to 134A?
$670 for rebuilt compressor is extremely high. One can be had for around $450 to $500 out of the usualy Porsche parts suppliers (Tweeks, Persormance Products, Pelican parts, ect.)

Christian
Old 03-27-2003, 10:25 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
You almost have to switch to r134. It is getting increasingly difficult to get r12. Gotta protect the ozone you know.
I hope that 670 was the whole job, not just the compressor.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:34 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Maybe it is a regional thing, but it is easy to get it here on the coast. You are probably right Pete in assuming that to be the labor ect. for the compressor. Why didn't I think of that?

Christian
Old 03-27-2003, 10:43 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
<a href="http://www.griffiths.com" target="_blank">www.griffiths.com</a> has tons of info about R12 & R134a systems. I'd contact them.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:12 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the BG stuff works, we use it at our shop.

Additionally, we've seen a rash of very faulty remanufactured compressors in the past year.

They can wear just like any metal to metal action involving mechanism.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:35 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I work for Four Seasons (Murray Air Conditioning at O'Reilly's, Factory Air at Zone and Advance)
That's too much money-if you want to get the parts-email me, I'll get them at cost.

There are soooo many things that affect these systems. When they do the replacement, they need to flush the entire system, replace the orifice tube, and accumulator, yadda, yadda.

If the system wasn't cleaned out enough-the compressor could fail. Small leak in the system, can cause oil starvation. Sometimes mounting brackets are a little bent-distorting the case on the compressor for a leak. If the compressor sits on a shelf on it's side, the oil drains away from the o-rings in the nose, causing a leak. If the mechanic uses a pry bar, or the bolts to pull the compressor into place-you can distort the case.

As a general rule the BG products are pretty good. "Mixes with 134a, and traces of mineral oil in the system" scares me. These systems should be flushed out with an approved flush, and pulled into a vacuum for at least an hour to make sure it is clean. Be careful with non-approved flushes (brake cleaner) can cause damage to o-rings, etc.

972.316.8100 is the Four Seasons main line, ask for the tech lines-they can answer any question you could have.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Quickbeam
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Check this out:
<a href="http://944online.com/newparts.asp" target="_blank">http://944online.com/newparts.asp</a>
They have an update kit that includes a new compressor for $495. Looks similar to what Griffith's offers. Could be their kit.

Quick Reply: A/C RANT