Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 944NA Tuning walk-through (TunerPro)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

the only difference i have ever noticed while actually driving was the lack of the "idle shudder" caused by early computers having fuel cutoff too late when returning to idle, which makes them drop to like 800rpm and then back to ~1000.

nothing else.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Geldfalle 944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I am drudging up a old post but I just met Joshua yesterday and have to say, this is slick. Coming from a tech with VAG COM and tinkering with long coding and such this takes it to a whole new level.
I cannot wait to pass emissions and get back to how this will effect performance gains on the N/A as well.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Capacitor
1st Gear

Does the program read AFR's with the original o2?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
you sir are a god
+ ∞

Great contribution to bone stock NA cars!
Old 08-10-2016, 02:51 PM
biela
1st Gear

Hello

Thanks for the xdf.
I have a doubt.
Is "OverLoad MAP" table used in 944 NA cars?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

No
Old 07-15-2017, 09:02 PM
Mattio
1st Gear

Default 944s 16v non turbo definition file

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Ok, I had time to packaged everything and it is attached in a .zip file:

TunerPro Bundle

In the zip file, I included a Word document which explains the DME in a little more detail, and also rehashes the info here. I suggest reading it, before starting.
This walk through is simply a quick guide for getting TunerPro running and using it with the 944.

In order to tune your 944, you will need the following:

Laptop computer w/ USB port
TunerPro 4.14
Ostrich 2.0 (or eprom burner)

First , unzip the bundle to a familiar location, such as the desktop. Next, install the TunerPro software included in this bundle. Follow the prompts and necessary directions. If you are using the Ostrich 2.0, then install the Ostrich 2.0 drivers (included in bundle).
Now plug in the Ostrich to your laptop, start TunerPro and make sure it recognizes the Ostrich. TunerPro outputs its hardware connection status in lower left hand corner:

If TunerPro says “hardware not found” and the Ostrich is connected to your computer, then click on the ‘hardware plug’ in the toolbar:

Once your computer and TunerPro recognizes the Ostrich, you need to setup TunerPro for the 944. Included in the bundle are the necessary files. The first is the definition file. This is the file that tells TunerPro how to interpret the values in the 944 binary file. To load this file, press ‘XDF’ next to ‘File’ in the toolbar. Now choose ‘Select XDF’, direct TunerPro to the unzipped bundle.

You should see and select the correct XDF for your application. Your screen should now look similar to this (picture is from the 951 version, the 944NA is similar):

Next we load the 944 binary, or ‘.bin’ file. This is the actual data that the DME uses, and what we will be tuning. Under the ‘File’ menu, select ‘Open Bin’. Now direct TunerPro to the unzipped bundle, and select the correct .bin file.

Check that we have loaded everything correctly by double-clicking on an item in the left.

Now, each item has comments, if you do not have a ‘Item Comments’ window, click on ‘View’ then ‘Item Comments’, or press F10.
To change a value, click on the item, change the value, then click ‘save’ in the window. This saves the changes to the .bin. Once you have made any desired changes, save the file by pressing ‘File’, ‘Save Bin’. Then upload the new .bin to the Ostrich. This is done with one click of the ‘upload arrow’:

Note, you do not have to save the .bin before sending it to the Ostrich, but you do have to save any individual value changed for it to have effect.
The Ostrich simply plugs into the factory EPROM socket. The most important thing is to install the Ostrich in the correct direction. The red line on the ribbon cable should be towards the outside of the DME.

I ground a little bit of the DME case to allow the ribbon cable to pass through. I routed the ribbon cable as shown. This is an easy mod, and should only take a minute on a bench grinder:

If you have changed EPROM chips before, this is extremely similar. For those needing a refresher, included in the bundle is a chip replacement guide as found on the Lindsey Racing web site.

LR Chip Change Guide

When tuning, make small changes at a time, and avoid large changes between adjacent cells! DIY tuning can and should be a fun, learning experience. BUT be careful, as you alone are completely responsible for your engines health, I am not responsible for your actions. For the DIY’er, at minimum, I suggest a Wide-Band O2 (WBO2) sensor, and knock counter. A WBO2 is imperative for proper air-fuel tuning. And at the price of current WBO2s, it would be foolish to not have one.

Finally, my hope is that this DIY will get more people interested in tuning the 944, and provide more knowledge for the average end-user. Building a community of knowledge can only help fellow enthusiasts.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments or opinions. Preferable, post your questions and comments here, as it will probably help out others.

-Rogue
Any chances you would have a tuner pro definition file for a 944s 16v? Or at least know the address the rev limiter is at? Trying to remove it. Tried all the definitions I could find and every address with aa in it. Think stock is 6800. I can provide bin file if needed. Thanks!

Matt

Quick Reply: DIY 944NA Tuning walk-through (TunerPro)