Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 944NA Tuning walk-through (TunerPro)

Old 12-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY 944NA Tuning walk-through (TunerPro)

Ok, I had time to packaged everything and it is attached in a .zip file:

TunerPro Bundle

In the zip file, I included a Word document which explains the DME in a little more detail, and also rehashes the info here. I suggest reading it, before starting.
This walk through is simply a quick guide for getting TunerPro running and using it with the 944.

In order to tune your 944, you will need the following:

Laptop computer w/ USB port
TunerPro 4.14
Ostrich 2.0 (or eprom burner)

First , unzip the bundle to a familiar location, such as the desktop. Next, install the TunerPro software included in this bundle. Follow the prompts and necessary directions. If you are using the Ostrich 2.0, then install the Ostrich 2.0 drivers (included in bundle).
Now plug in the Ostrich to your laptop, start TunerPro and make sure it recognizes the Ostrich. TunerPro outputs its hardware connection status in lower left hand corner:

If TunerPro says “hardware not found” and the Ostrich is connected to your computer, then click on the ‘hardware plug’ in the toolbar:

Once your computer and TunerPro recognizes the Ostrich, you need to setup TunerPro for the 944. Included in the bundle are the necessary files. The first is the definition file. This is the file that tells TunerPro how to interpret the values in the 944 binary file. To load this file, press ‘XDF’ next to ‘File’ in the toolbar. Now choose ‘Select XDF’, direct TunerPro to the unzipped bundle.

You should see and select the correct XDF for your application. Your screen should now look similar to this (picture is from the 951 version, the 944NA is similar):

Next we load the 944 binary, or ‘.bin’ file. This is the actual data that the DME uses, and what we will be tuning. Under the ‘File’ menu, select ‘Open Bin’. Now direct TunerPro to the unzipped bundle, and select the correct .bin file.

Check that we have loaded everything correctly by double-clicking on an item in the left.

Now, each item has comments, if you do not have a ‘Item Comments’ window, click on ‘View’ then ‘Item Comments’, or press F10.
To change a value, click on the item, change the value, then click ‘save’ in the window. This saves the changes to the .bin. Once you have made any desired changes, save the file by pressing ‘File’, ‘Save Bin’. Then upload the new .bin to the Ostrich. This is done with one click of the ‘upload arrow’:

Note, you do not have to save the .bin before sending it to the Ostrich, but you do have to save any individual value changed for it to have effect.
The Ostrich simply plugs into the factory EPROM socket. The most important thing is to install the Ostrich in the correct direction. The red line on the ribbon cable should be towards the outside of the DME.

I ground a little bit of the DME case to allow the ribbon cable to pass through. I routed the ribbon cable as shown. This is an easy mod, and should only take a minute on a bench grinder:

If you have changed EPROM chips before, this is extremely similar. For those needing a refresher, included in the bundle is a chip replacement guide as found on the Lindsey Racing web site.

LR Chip Change Guide

When tuning, make small changes at a time, and avoid large changes between adjacent cells! DIY tuning can and should be a fun, learning experience. BUT be careful, as you alone are completely responsible for your engines health, I am not responsible for your actions. For the DIY’er, at minimum, I suggest a Wide-Band O2 (WBO2) sensor, and knock counter. A WBO2 is imperative for proper air-fuel tuning. And at the price of current WBO2s, it would be foolish to not have one.

Finally, my hope is that this DIY will get more people interested in tuning the 944, and provide more knowledge for the average end-user. Building a community of knowledge can only help fellow enthusiasts.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments or opinions. Preferable, post your questions and comments here, as it will probably help out others.

-Rogue
Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

you sir are a god

i had no idea the na was a 28 pin. sweet no socket booster! what year computer did you read for this?

rogue i have been playing with it for a minute, loaded the correct xdf and bin, but it will not allow me to make permanent the changes i put in. for example the rev limit is set at "166" (6640RPM) and i tried to raise it to 170 (6800 RPM) but it will not save, with either the "save" button on that table or by closing the window and saying "Commit to loaded bin". same goes for idle w/ ac, and the closed loop.

also there are no values present for timing or fueling at all, no WOT no PT.

Last edited by V2Rocket; 12-19-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Spencer, you don't have either the correct .XDF or .BIN loaded...

-Rogue
Old 12-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXCELLENT !!! This has to be the most thought out, well explained, and informative post I have seen !
Well done !
Old 12-19-2009, 05:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Spencer, you don't have either the correct .XDF or .BIN loaded...

-Rogue
there is only one BIN and one XDF each in the bundle, those are the ones i am using. i even deleted the 951 setup i had been playing with before, and carefully made sure i was using the right file. the rev limit stays at 166 when i go to check it after changing it to say 171 and saving
Old 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

just noticed that the xdf file says "limited" in its title, could that be it?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Perhaps it was corrupted during download...? I just downloaded the bundle and tried it - no issues.
The XDF is supposed to be limited - no real reason to access the majority of maps; in fact most of the maps should not be changed, which is why I only included pertinent ones.

-Rogue
Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I just deleted everything and re downloaded it all, the BIN still will not save my changes even if I click "save". I save and close the windows and then open them again and they are back at their original values.

As for timing/fueling was that the stuff you didnt think pertinent?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Spencer - I'm not sure what is wrong with your setup... Perhaps you need to reinstall TunerPro.

The timing/fuel stuff is there, I've double checked the bundle.
Lets take this to PM - I'll try to better help you there.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:08 PM
phil823
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 UP!! thanks again Rouge! as i think you stated before this is only for the 85/2 + cars. not the Early 8v NA cars

thanks again rouge! i look forward for the NA KNock Senor!
Old 12-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Correct, this is only for the Eprom cars, the 85.5 and up.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I take it the BMW mod from FRwilk's site wold work with this, for the early guys.... right?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

I think so Mark - but I don't have an NA to play with... So I can't say for certain. I will look into it a bit more, and see if I can get a more definitive answer.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:41 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Updated bundle to include the newest release of TunerPro - this version has the data-tracing which works in the majority of the MAPs.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:37 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

thanks for the help rogue in getting this all working, turns out my computer wasnt reading the downloaded file right, but with the new ones you sent me it works out great!

im going to have alot of fun with this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY 944NA Tuning walk-through (TunerPro)