Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best race diff for 6-sp 968?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Unfortunately, MPSCs are discontinued..
Oh my! I hadn't heard!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Oh my! I hadn't heard!
Picked up on some discussion in the racing forum on it. 16-17" are discontinued. 19" will still be available for OE applications like the GT2/3, and other high end/high perf street cars. And depending on source, 18s may be too. But the GT3 guys are saying that its now a different compound - harder, more for street use. That I cant confirm.

Let me know if you find out something else.

I was looking for 16" MPSCs to run in vintage racing, but now will have to find another treaded tire.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Picked up on some discussion in the racing forum on it. 16-17" are discontinued. 19" will still be available for OE applications like the GT2/3, and other high end/high perf street cars. And depending on source, 18s may be too. But the GT3 guys are saying that its now a different compound - harder, more for street use. That I cant confirm.

I was looking for 16" MPSCs to run in vintage racing, but now will have to find another treaded tire.
I've heard good things about the Toyo R888. Lots of guys I know are adding extra edge grooves and running them as rains. But I know some who race in the dry with them, too. I've been thinking about getting a set of those for an extra set of 16" rims I have.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I find the Hoosiers are just a wee bit "grippier" than the R1s - but the Hoosiers sweet spot is small and tapers off quickly. R1s with a number of heat cycles have more grip than Hoosiers with the same # of heat cycles - and the R1s remain more constant throughout their life.

Both have a bit more grip than the MPSC. The MPSC are great in the damp!
Thanks, great tip!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that's the way they were moving, with less availability for smaller rim sizes even into the 18" range. That's why I can't get anything wider than 295x18. I'm really surprised they are changing the compound though, I guess they've looked into the future and found too few customers. As long as Manthey racing throws away the 19" rims and installs 18" on the GT3RSRs and similar, it's hard to convince me that 19" is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Best race diff for 6-sp 968?