Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have any tips/tricks/"while your there" jobs to do with interior stripped?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:11 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Anyone have any tips/tricks/"while your there" jobs to do with interior stripped?

So a while back I removed the interior from my mothers 86 N/A (including the dash, head liner, etc) to replace the carpet, sound deadening, dash, shifter, speakers,filters, check/repair some wiring etc.

My mom wants the interior to be as quiet as reasonably possible. It was pretty quiet (100% stock staying that way) but the insultation under the carpet was moldy and waterlogged. Anyone have any suggestions for a good replacement for the stock deadening?

Also, I have heard of people using o-rings and installing stiffeners on panel pieces to reduce rattles. Does this actually make a noticable difference?

Finally, anyone replace the front/rear speakers recently? What brand, price, and size worked best for the vanilla speaker system in the late cars? Oh, and anyone have any leads of a clean design (basic) cd player that looks correct in these cars?

Her car has been neglected for years but it's finally starting to look good again. With the new interior, refinished 951 fuchs, 968 handles, and maint. taken care of it will be a fun little car...
Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may remember my thread and Fergus' thread on the subject, wherein we both used the same materials. I'm thrilled with the results, so far, and haven't even done the areas under the rear interior panels, yet.

CurtP did some really nice work to his car, which is also pictured in my thread.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

i did a DIY carpet replacement in my car, got rid of all the old carpet and stanky *** nasty insulation and got some generic auto carpet pad in 40oz weight (i think 40 oz/yd) and used that. no rubber pad. car is nice and quiet, pad is soft and even the entire amount of material i needed for the insulation weighed under 10lsbs!

Quick Reply: Anyone have any tips/tricks/"while your there" jobs to do with interior stripped?