Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door handle installation problem (Never herd of it before!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 05:04 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Door handle installation problem (Never herd of it before!)

So I was installing a script handle onto my car. Oh I swear though getting that little fcking plastic piece on the ball (the bigger one) is a PITA!!!!! It took me like an hour or two to get it on the ball! Anyways, I screw the handle back in and everything. And I go to test it... and it doesn't open. I pull it back off, and notice the metal piece attached to the handle just isn't pushing the door popper down enough. You know how that metal piece has that plastic piece that screws on the end of it? So I screw it down to the lowest possible point, place it back on the ball, and it still doesn't push it down enough! I can take a screw driver and just light push it, and it pops the door open. It literally just needs a tiny bit more. Weird thing is, when I screwed the plastic piece in all the way (which means it's shorter), it was closer to opening the door than when it was barely screwed in. Somebody please help me with this. It's very irritating not being able to drive my car because of my stupid door handle. Ha.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:13 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Not sure if this is your problem but you might want and check if the drop rod is the same length as the handle that came off the car. I know the really early 924 handles were reversible where the later 944 handles weren't. The drop rods don't even pivot from the same spot. It's also very easy to get the drop rod crossed over the rod from the inner door handle and it makes it bind.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Not sure if this is your problem but you might want and check if the drop rod is the same length as the handle that came off the car. I know the really early 924 handles were reversible where the later 944 handles weren't. The drop rods don't even pivot from the same spot. It's also very easy to get the drop rod crossed over the rod from the inner door handle and it makes it bind.
Yea that's what I was wondering too. I know white924S has a pair of script handles installed on his 924S. I'll go and compare them though. Makes it bind? So if they are the same length, what should I do?
Old 11-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a broken door handle on a 924S. Got another door handle from a 924S and put it in. Door would not open. Tried adjusting that same lever several times and could not get the door to open. The only thing left was the rest of the door release mechanism possibly being worn out and having too much slop, causing the lever to need to push farther than it was designed to in order to release the door. Took all the rest of the door catch mechanism off the door that I got the handle from and put it on my door. Worked perfect the first time. So you also may need the rest of the parts from a door. Mine were worn out apparently.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jay W
I had a broken door handle on a 924S. Got another door handle from a 924S and put it in. Door would not open. Tried adjusting that same lever several times and could not get the door to open. The only thing left was the rest of the door release mechanism possibly being worn out and having too much slop, causing the lever to need to push farther than it was designed to in order to release the door. Took all the rest of the door catch mechanism off the door that I got the handle from and put it on my door. Worked perfect the first time. So you also may need the rest of the parts from a door. Mine were worn out apparently.
Hmm... thats probably what I'm going to have to do. Thank you! Now, when you say taking this and that off. Could you clarify on what exactly needs to be done? Are they a PITA and easily breakable? Ha.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I remember correctly, inside handle release mechanism, catch mechanism on rear of the door is all one piece connected by the release cable. Its all connected together somewhat so it all comes as a chunk out of the door. After fighting with the handle for so long, replacing the other part was not so bad. I am pretty sure the inside of the rear door catch is an assembly that the other end of the adjusting rod is connected to.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also make sure the replacement handle does not have a part that is partially broken and "gives" a little only when it has to push against the rod under pressure.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

If I remember correctly, inside handle release mechanism, catch mechanism on rear of the door is all one piece connected by the release cable. Its all connected together somewhat so it all comes as a chunk out of the door. After fighting with the handle for so long, replacing the other part was not so bad. I am pretty sure the inside of the rear door catch is an assembly that the other end of the adjusting rod is connected to.
Also make sure the replacement handle does not have a part that is partially broken and "gives" a little only when it has to push against the rod under pressure.
Ok. So are you saying I'd need the other door? I'm... ok I'm confused. Ha. Would this all be much much easier if I took my door panel off?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes you may need the door the other handle came from so you can get the rest of the door release mechanism. I do remember that before my handle broke, the door did not open until I had pulled the handle all the way in. Usually a door pops open when the handle is partially pulled in so this was an indicator that the other parts of the door were worn out.

And the part about the handle itself having broken parts is worth checking into before you spend time changing out the other parts. The handle could have broken pieces that look fine when it is off the car.

Quick Reply: Door handle installation problem (Never herd of it before!)