Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Owners with LS1 swaps please post in here..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the manual is best $$ you will ever spend if you are considering a swap

Last edited by 944V8inDFW; 11-19-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:17 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'll second that

I have it. Any one with questions needs to search that site.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
the manual is best $$ you will ever spend if you are considering a swap
I just ordered the manual hopefully its good.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was posed a question today by one of my workers, that really has me thinking:

"Since you're a MOPAR guy why in the hell would you stick a Chebby in there?"

ugh...And I thought I finally had a good game plan for the tub.

But he is right. So in the coming months I am going to see what it would take to fit a 5.7 R/T Hemi. Anyone already done a Hemi? Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:10 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

CPR -- you're a brave lad... i installed a chrysler 440 in my '79 chevy malibu in 1988 so i could drive the interstate from assachusetts to california where i went to school... the car ran so perfect and the cooling issues were solved with just the addition of an oil cooler [after i did all the mods, to make the motor, 727 tranny and modded driveshaft all fit]... and it fit like a glove resting on two hockey pucks in between steel plates. i changed the differential gears to a long highway gear and got 125 mph at 3,300 rpm... for long trips... that car was a monster and i finally sold it in 1991 to a friend at work after getting my '87 944 at auction... mopar engines rock.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:21 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know about brave....maybe stupid for trying it if no one else has even attempted it

But my guy has a point. I love the Hemis (old and new), so if to do a swap, why not a Hemi Porsche, lol.

We'll see, I am doing some homework now.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by odurandina
way back around 1991, i thought about how cool it would be to try to do an audi 20 valve turbo motor swap in my old 944... i began talking to a mechanic friend about it... and his immediate response was, "totally impractical, you will break the bank... why not a small block chevy ?"

the idea floored me and i thought it probably couldn't be done. but the idea of a changover to v8 power just seemed incredible, because i couldn't afford a modern supercar... but, it seemed likely this combination could compete with virtually anything built for the street at that time.

a few months later i was thumbing through an issue of Hot Rod and stumbled upon an ad for Renegade Porsche kits and i was shocked... the possibility of combining the reliability and massive torque of the small block chevy and the incredible design layout of the 944 was spectacular.

of course, there was a weight problem with the chevy V8, but i still thought the design would work, and maybe eliminate some of the understeer as well.

when the 968 came out, i thought the car needed a turbo -- but, i still wanted one !! i lacked the funds and i didn't need a new car... i had a 944 that ran perfect and my girlfriend had a Porsche 964.

i decided maybe. in the future a 968 would become available and i could do a swap then. the year was like, 1993.

these days, i am very happy with my car, but i will always dream of more cylinders !

the engine that all the Porsche purists think i should build, is just not going to deliver what i am looking for - for the time, hassle and money... then it will require all the support components to be replaced too often or fussed over endlessly.

i respect immensely the restoration projects you all do on your cars... and the turbo engines are incredible... but, the boost you're all running are way past conventional production boost levels... i don't want a racing engine in my car,

and that's exactly what you all are doing... and since i am not a mechanic, i can't be putting in the kind of time that so many of you all put in your cars...

for me, the costs would be astronomical.

my 968 will be going in for new belts H20 pump, timing chain and front seals... that should bring the maintenance bill for 108 k miles driven to nearly $14 k.

that's too much.

upon my return home from the airport today, i got into a spirited country drive through a section of Wellesley and Dover behind a Mazarati V8 Gran Turismo coupe. what a sound... and i started drooling.

there's no reason to build and drive your cars for the purpose of entertaining other people... furthermore, the high-end car builders have moved on from the 4 cylinder turbo design.

Lotus and Porsche made them work, and you all build your racing engines...

but they are just too high strung and require too much fussing over for me.

It's not the end for 4 cylinder turbos yet. VW just replaced the R32 with a pumped up 2.0 turbo, and it's still the base engine in the Audi TT, A4 and A5. Then there's the WRX Sti, Mitsubishi Evo and new Genesis Coupe. It's not a supercar engine, but you can pull 300 HP out of 2.0 liters fairly reliably.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Default the 4 cylinder turbos are racing engines... i don't want a racing engine in my car.

way back around 1991, i thought about how cool it would be to try to do an audi 20 valve turbo motor swap in my old 944... i began talking to a mechanic friend about it... and his immediate response was, "totally impractical, you will break the bank... why not a small block chevy ?"

the idea floored me and i thought it probably couldn't be done. but the idea of a changover to v8 power just seemed incredible, because i couldn't afford a modern supercar... but, it seemed likely this combination could compete with virtually anything built for the street at that time.

a few months later i was thumbing through an issue of Hot Rod and stumbled upon an ad for Renegade Porsche kits and i was shocked... the possibility of combining the reliability and massive torque of the small block chevy and the incredible design layout of the 944 was spectacular.

of course, there was a weight problem with the chevy V8, but i still thought the design would work, and maybe eliminate some of the understeer as well.

when the 968 came out, i thought the car needed a turbo -- but, i still wanted one !! i lacked the funds and i didn't need a new car... i had a 944 that ran perfect and my girlfriend had a Porsche 964.

i decided maybe. in the future a 968 would become available and i could do a swap then. the year was like, 1993.

these days, i am very happy with my car, but i will always dream of more cylinders !

the engine that all the Porsche purists think i should build, is just not going to deliver what i am looking for - for the time, work and money... then it will require the support components and belts be replaced too often and fussed over endlessly.

i respect immensely the restoration projects you all do on your cars... and the turbo engines are incredible. but the truth is, that these engines are very high strung. sure, the laws of physics allow for it, but these are racing engines - and i don't want a racing engine in my car. i can't be putting in the kind of time that so many of you all put in your cars... i'm not a mechanic so, the costs would be astronomical.

my 968 will be going in for new belts H20 pump, timing chain and front seals... that should bring the maintenance bill for 108 k miles driven to nearly $14 k.

that's a bit too much, i will do supercharger and then maybe do the belts one more time after that and hope the whole smash doesn't blow up along the way... but after that, i will change over to V8 power.

upon my return home from the airport today, i got into a spirited country drive through a section of Wellesley and Dover behind a Mazarati V8 Gran Turismo coupe. what a sound... and i started drooling.

there's no reason to build and drive our cars for the purpose of entertaining other people... furthermore, the high-end car builders have moved on from the 4 cylinder turbo design
Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by odurandina
not done writing yet. can you repost that by requoting ? lol.
please stay on topic
Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

****xschop have you considered making a complete swap kit to compliment the basic?*****
BTDT.....
http://www.944v8s.com/Products.html
Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Default And I am buying the kit next week.

Originally Posted by xschop
****xschop have you considered making a complete swap kit to compliment the basic?*****
BTDT.....
http://www.944v8s.com/Products.html
Right after I pick up my motor this weekend.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

It is likely that I am a victim of overplanning and that's why it's taking so long to get the car on the road. However, it seems to me that the combination of a 400 hp engine in a light chassis is a recipe for nasty car if not done right. The last three months has been devoted to the location of the oil cooler and after a couple of misses I decided to fit it behind the centre grille slot. That means the opening has to be enlarged so thats body work. The oil cooler can be too efficient so I have to mount an in-line thermostat bypass to ensure the oil is maintained at the right temperature. The next challenge is the location of the oil tank for the dry sump. So far the chassis has the M030 suspension and big blacks up front with cryogenically treated rotors. I went to the elephant racing bushings in the rear and new wheel bearings at all corners too. I repainted the dash using the color plus system and it is a perfect match. I had to paint it because it got fried brown in the sun during the storage. Now the problem is the cold and it isn't a lot of fun in the garage.

Last edited by JimV8; 02-08-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

the native suspension is not the problem... nor is the weight of the car - at least on paper. an LSD and the good brakes should take out 90 % of anything potentially bad out of normal driving. that's gonna be an incredible car very soon.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:38 PM
1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
Racer

So what's the word on little things nobody has real answers for yet like headers and what not. I've thought about doing a 5.3 swap on the cheap and the only real thing keeping me away are the small bits that guys with access to proper tools can make on the fly.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
So what's the word on little things nobody has real answers for yet like headers and what not. I've thought about doing a 5.3 swap on the cheap and the only real thing keeping me away are the small bits that guys with access to proper tools can make on the fly.
Headers have a fix look on the website in this tread or in the manual.
"I repainted the dash using the color plus system " any more info on this? Is that a fix for the dash cracks?

Quick Reply: 944 Owners with LS1 swaps please post in here..