Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In case you're still thinking about street racing....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003 | 12:26 AM
stupenal
Instructor

Post In case you're still thinking about street racing....

<a href="http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69260" target="_blank">http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69260</a>

the site is getting hammered rite now. Kid dies in his rsx after suffering severe head trauma from racing along a bridge in Florida. Friend keeps everyone updated until they pull the plug. Street racing = deadly in case you havent figured it out yet. BTW, they show a pic of him and his car. Just an ordinary kid who loved his car.
Old 03-11-2003 | 12:36 AM
User 462021
Banned

when will they learn...
Old 03-11-2003 | 12:44 AM
OC Porsche
Racer

Pretty sad when it happens. Unfortunately we have all made mistakes when driving our automobiles, some more severe than others. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Old 03-11-2003 | 12:47 AM
phantom309
Racer

17 years old. Damn.
Old 03-11-2003 | 12:50 AM
User 462021
Banned

seriously...
Old 03-11-2003 | 01:00 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

What shocks me is the "I've lost 6 friends to street racing"!

MAYBE THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING?!?!?!

I can't tell you how many times I had ricers fly by me at 65+ or rev their engines at stoplights when I briefly had my car working. I just rolled my eyes and laughed.
Old 03-11-2003 | 01:12 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

I could tell you about my brother in law. 19 at the time, driving a Starion turbo, lost control, hit a tree. He was ejected, hit another tree with head and shoulder. Closed head injury, broken neck & shoulder, comatose for 6 weeks, while in the coma, also had a stroke. It took years of therapy before he could even 'walk' again. He's 33 now and moves like a 90 year old stroke victim, no vision in one eye, no sense of smell (hence impaired taste), one side virtually paralyzed. Whenever we go to a mall, we bring along his wheelchair because he will have problems walking for long but he persists in trying. He does enjoy a fast ride still, even though he can't drive that way any more.

My point in this rambling is street racing can have extreme consequences but- driving spiritedly, and prudently, is ok from time to time. Just don't do it where someone could pull out from a side street (ruling out any city streets) or losing it could result in close encounters of the arboreal kind or worse. I have to point out that most of these horror stories take place in a populated area and involve kids who have no idea of their (or other's) mortality.
Old 03-11-2003 | 01:17 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

How did a 17 year old kid get hold of a 23k RSX? How did he afford the insurance? Mom and dad bought junior a car he couldn't handle, and now he is dead. He had been driving for what - less than a year?

It's sad, yes - but the kid was an idiot and we should at least be thankful he didn't take any innocent people with him.

Micah
Old 03-11-2003 | 01:51 AM
OC Porsche
Racer

From the RSX forum:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> Hi, just to introduce myself, I am Bert's Dad.( Mugan Power)

I would first like to say thank you everyone's sincere prayers, thoughts and support.

I would like to clear something up since rumor's have apparantly has got out of control.

First of all, Bert's was not street racing, I know it sounds like a glorious way to go, but it is not. I say this not from what I would like to believe but from a witness who observe the whole accident and even helped to pull Bert out of the wreck. He has stated that Bert's car was northbound in the right lane of a 4 way highway to our house. One that Bert has drove home numerous of times. He observed that his car had suddenly pulled to the left and was immediatley out of control. There was not one car in front or behind him. It was a solo accident with no cars in the vicinity. He found it strange on how the car became out of control. I know that he may have been exceeding the 55 mph speed limit, but cannot explain why the sudden pull to the left and then the wheels locking up into a sideways slide back to the right and into a pole. I am not sure but am suspect maybe a maybe a mechanical problem, as the front left wheel roter was broke in half and sticking out. the pole hit the drivers door, not the wheel. the tow truck driver said he never seen a rotor broken in that way. So we will try and check to see what had happen. btw, the witness was a Naval Police Officer. I am just trying to find out what happen.

We miss Bert like no one could understand unless you have loss a son of your own. Again Thanks for the nice comments.

BTW, I do not condone street racing. It is dangerous to everyone. But to the one's who are glad for the death, I say you are some sad individuals. You should know what you are talking about before throwing words around so recklessly. But I guess words don't kill, they just hurt for a long time.

I don't feel that Bert at 17, deserved to die even if he slammed on the brakes, Isn't that what ABS is for?

Again Thanks for the thoughts and prayers,

Bert, Sr.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">
Old 03-11-2003 | 01:55 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a father of a 16 year old, I hope I never have to go thru what this father is going thru now. My Andrew knows what tracks are for, and he's been in Dad's hot rod when a 'racer' comes along. It's hard to resist, I know, but don't do it for everyone's sake.

This is a post from the Kids father in response to the 100's of posts.
---------------------------------------------
Hi, just to introduce myself, I am Bert's Dad.( Mugan Power)

I would first like to say thank you everyone's sincere prayers, thoughts and support.

I would like to clear something up since rumor's have apparantly has got out of control.

First of all, Bert's was not street racing, I know it sounds like a glorious way to go, but it is not. I say this not from what I would like to believe but from a witness who observe the whole accident and even helped to pull Bert out of the wreck. He has stated that Bert's car was northbound in the right lane of a 4 way highway to our house. One that Bert has drove home numerous of times. He observed that his car had suddenly pulled to the left and was immediatley out of control. There was not one car in front or behind him. It was a solo accident with no cars in the vicinity. He found it strange on how the car became out of control. I know that he may have been exceeding the 55 mph speed limit, but cannot explain why the sudden pull to the left and then the wheels locking up into a sideways slide back to the right and into a pole. I am not sure but am suspect maybe a maybe a mechanical problem, as the front left wheel roter was broke in half and sticking out. the pole hit the drivers door, not the wheel. the tow truck driver said he never seen a rotor broken in that way. So we will try and check to see what had happen. btw, the witness was a Naval Police Officer. I am just trying to find out what happen.

We miss Bert like no one could understand unless you have loss a son of your own. Again Thanks for the nice comments.

BTW, I do not condone street racing. It is dangerous to everyone. But to the one's who are glad for the death, I say you are some sad individuals. You should know what you are talking about before throwing words around so recklessly. But I guess words don't kill, they just hurt for a long time.

I don't feel that Bert at 17, deserved to die even if he slammed on the brakes, Isn't that what ABS is for?

Again Thanks for the thoughts and prayers,

Bert, Sr.
Old 03-11-2003 | 02:06 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Obviously this is very sad, and I find the death of a young guy horrible...but I cannot believe how disrespectful and absolutely disgusting some idiots are behaving in this thread:

<a href="http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=f2e8dabb8d4dba374c254f452c33219d&threadid=69312" target="_blank">http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=f2e8dabb8d4dba374c254f452c33219d&threadid =69312</a>

There are some very ignorant people trying to justify the guy's death had he been street racing. It's clear that someone in particular posting to that thread missed the point, and unfortunately it will take another instance of someone dying to change his mind.

Forbid that my name were to ever come up in a similar fashion as this kid's, but I'd really appreciate not having a senseless argument between racers and non-racers taking place as a result.

Take the lesson, and learn from it. But now it appears that he wasn't street racing so what can you do? Well...the tragedy should bring people together instead of dividing them into camps of should've, would've, could've naysayers.

I hope everyone here stays safe, even with all the talk of big horsepower packages, racing suspensions, and huge brakes.

That's all.
Old 03-11-2003 | 03:09 AM
wa944
Instructor

Amen.
Old 03-11-2003 | 03:28 AM
stupenal
Instructor

As for the comment regarding 17yr olds and 23k RSXs, my friend got one as a present for earning a substantial scholarship which saved his parents a ton of money when he went off to college. His insurance was already through the roof when he got it, and then it went beyond belief once he totalled it (yah, we're all stupid drivers at 17). He's learned his lesson, i think, and will probably get another one soon. He wasn't racing, but he was enjoying his car in the canyons, just like everyone else. Problem was, he lost it on a blind corner and flipped.
Old 03-11-2003 | 03:47 AM
Danno
Race Director

What shocks me is the "I've lost 6 friends to street racing"!

Wow.. Darwinism proves its validity yet again... Maybe I'm just used to blood, guts and gore, but **** happens in life. I don't think there's any 'shoulds' or 'shouldn'ts', there's just 'what happens'. Death is as natural a part of life as birth, but losing a child has got to especially bad. I do feel for his family and wish them the best.
Old 03-11-2003 | 04:22 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

It is very sad - but remember that street racing has gone on for decades, with movies made about it, and glorifying it.

Bottom line - we may fantasize about street racing, it should stay as a fantasy. If you really have to race, well we have an outlet for that with the 944 spec, etc., where safety is mandantory.

We love shooting the **** with each other, but we need to be there for each other, in this life. If we know people who want to street race, we should encourage them not to.

'nuff said.

- Julie

Quick Reply: In case you're still thinking about street racing....