Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In case you're still thinking about street racing....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003 | 05:19 PM
FormulaOne10
Rennlist Member

Anybody who compares the safety of racing on the street to racing at a track is completely missing the point. When I race at track it is my choice. I understand there is a highly escalated possibility of injury or death and I am willing to accept that. I sign waivers that absolve the hosting organization from wrongful death and injury lawsuits. Even events I go to watch sometimes have me sign a waiver as a spectator in case an incident involves spectators too. However, the common theme here is that I CHOOSE TO DO THIS. I risk my own safety.

The middle-aged couple in their minivan who is plowed into by some thoughtless street racer had no choice to be involved. The people in the minivan signed no waiver. I wouldn't have any problem with street racers themselves risking safety on their own (this is the same as a professional race car driver). However, by the definition of being a street racer they can't take risks on their own. The difference is that they gamble with the lives of the rest of us too.
Old 03-16-2003 | 08:36 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Es3L:
<strong>
THis just made me think of a kid who went to my high school last year (senior year, i think he was a soph). the first week of the 2002-2003 school year he was on his way home from school in his jeep cherokee and decided that he was going to race with his friends. He had 4 girls with him mostly 14 year olds , one was his sister. They were driving down a 2 lane road (no lines or anything) well above the 25 speed limit, and blew a 2-way stop. His cherokee plowed into the side of a semi-tractor trailor hauling a full load of gravel (school is on a gravel route, vegas sucks). He was killed instantly and im unsure of the girls, i think one died, but all were in the ICU for a while. Ryan Sneed, he was only 16.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">He died because he ran a stopsign witch is not related to street racing. I mean yes he was racing but not many street racers around here that don't obay every traffic law (well of course the speedlimit usually is broken)
Old 03-16-2003 | 09:18 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

I know a lot of stories about people who street raced and died from it. That's not going to stop people from doing it. If they're dumb enough, then it's their problem becuase they know the consequences of their actions.
Old 03-16-2003 | 09:20 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">If they're dumb enough, then it's their problem</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">But all too often innocent people end up being victims too.
Old 03-16-2003 | 09:22 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

very true

Quick Reply: In case you're still thinking about street racing....