Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 944 would you choose - please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

This one is not a "showroom condition" car, but it's a very nice, well running, well maintained, etc. turbo: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ell-loved.html

I was in this car for a 1-hour trip about 3 weeks ago. It's very clean, modified intelligently and performs great. I would recommend it over any of those 3 NAs, unless you're looking for a low-mileage, showroom condition car to take to amateur level PCA concourses.

I don't know what your overall goal is, but I think many people here assume it's like theirs - to have a reasonably quick and sexy car that you can enjoy driving whenever you feel like it. Most people's cars are not show cars, and they are not the person's only mode of transportation to get from point a to point b.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you really hate shifting I don't see how the auto could even be in the running... The 5 speeds are very nice in these cars. As previously mentioned, if these cars are mostly original mechanicals you can count on a water pump and clutch being needed sooner than later (my original WP and clutch only lasted about 40K miles although a few have reported much better numbers). There are many oil seals and the like that will be ready to go - age is as bad as anything with rubber parts... Above all though is documentation. If there are no records to back up the claim of low miles/originality/reapirs performed, knock the price WAY down. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:53 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bshah1976
nope...no daily - more leisure. maybe 3 to 5K a year.
Yeah, I put 10k on mine in the first 9 months... And I told myself I bought it for a weekend car!

My personal opinion is probably gonna be a big NO on the 84. Pre-85's are just not my style. Out of the other two, I'd say choose the best option based on quality. The sunroof in one, and the interior options on the other should be in the fine details, supposing both are equally decent in condition.

And I fully back anyone on here talking about maintenance. If a car is roughly 20 years old and only has 40 original miles, then it has averaged only 2,500 miles a year. The only time I could see a car getting that little usage is if it were only driven on weekends, and only during the Summer lol. Under-usage is just as bad, if not worse than over-usage. And the details have been covered above.

There are several, SEVERAL, good examples for around 10k and frankly... If you're looking into any 944 that much, I would hope it were a turbo. Otherwise you're kissing a lot of money goodbye when you purchase it.

But good luck on the choice. I say keep looking! With the winter months coming up, sports cars usually pop up for sale often, and prices are usually lower!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 AM
bshah1976
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at an 86 Turbo. Owner says the motor mounts need to be replaced as at idle there is a small shake and the shocks as well. Any idea how much this would cost with labor (I am not a DIYer). Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

$400ish for OEM mounts, and Shocks or struts??? Figure if struts at least $1000 to do it right with some upgrades.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:37 PM
bshah1976
Racer

UPDATE:

Not sure if this can happen, but here is my new options:

87 944 NA with 20K miles for $8500 (if the guys decides he will sell the car without the new 18" rims/tires). Red/Black
Timing Belt done at 18K miles.

86 944 Turbo with 40K miles. Timing belt done last month. Might need Motor mounts. Asking $11K. Dark Gray/Tan

86 944 Turbo with 100K miles. PCA Member. Need Timing Belt done. Motor Mounts, Steering Rack and Battery just replaced. Asking $9K.

Thanks.

Need to decide by the morning for the 87 944 NA.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
krystar
Drifting

....$8500 for a NA sounds overpriced. full docs?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:33 PM
bshah1976
Racer

it is is pristine showroom condition. yes to the docs, but not many considering the mileage.
what would be a fair price?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

That 20k mile car may need motor mounts, too... they're 22 years old now.

My advice is for you to drive both a NA car and a turbo - then go with your heart.

The real question is what do you want? Do you want a 20k mile showroom car? Or, for the same money, a 100k mile missile?

OK... the turbo isn't that fast, but it can be made that fast. A NA, well, it just can't be made that fast without an LS1 - which would be a shame to do to a pristine, showroom car.

But, you haven't made your intentions clear... are you looking for speed or not? Are you looking for something to drive or something to show? Are you looking for something that's unique or common? Something that'll appreciate? Something that has the Porsche brand?

For $10 grand you can get any of these things... but not all of them. You have to decide which factors are important to you - then go look at cars with those characteristics - then make the choice based on which you like best.

I keep thinking you're comparing apples to oranges - the old: do you want to walk to school or bring your lunch. For $10k, you can get a nice 914 that will appreciate; you can get a drivable, but cosmetically challenged, older 911 or 912 (which people will recognize as a Porsche); you can get a fast 944 turbo; or even a high-mileage Boxster; or, a low-mileage 944.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 PM
bshah1976
Racer

Van - thanks for the reply.

I like my clean to be clean, spotless. My last car was 2002 BMW M3 and I sold it in 4 days a couple months ago with 35K miles. I barely drive 4K miles a year. The car looked BRAND NEW.

I am not looking to make a car fast - just use it as it comes. No chips, no mods. I like speed, but living in Chicago, not many options for driving fast - plus don't want to be crazy.

Too many people are telling me that even $8K is too much for a 944 NA. but the ones I see for less than that have higher miles and are not in the best condition cosmetically with original paint. Some of the newer paint jobs look like they were done at Macco.

The 86 944 Turbo with 40K miles - let's say I can get it for $10K. Cosmetically it is 92% and interior is 98%. The exterior has 3 small dings, which can probably be taken out and normal stone chips. Steel Grey on Tan Leather.

The 87 944 NA with 20K miles...not a turbo but showroom and slight slight chance I can get it for $8K to $8500. If not it is $10K with the 18's and new tires which I would have to sell, so I do not like the 18's. Just a hassle for me...the guy has the receipt showing he paid $3K.

I personally think 944 are rare don't see too many of them around. Hope this explanation helps.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

It sounds to me that low miles and looks trumps the turbo benefits - like power (or, as Jeremy Clarkson says: POWEEEERRRR!!), brakes and improved handling.

Regular 944s are great cars - they are still quite sporty. It's just that most people consider them on the underpowered side - and once most people get the chance to drive a turbo, they don't look back.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok Here is my Advise.

First of all the 8500 for a low miles N/A is not so bad as long had the maintence has been kept up. Just because te car has sat dies not mean the owner did not keep it in good mechanical shape, if the owner took care of things as they dry rotted or went bad it could be a great car so make sure all ahs been taken car of properly. Also do not take the 18" rims for it, they are jsut too much for to handle for an N/A. I ahve 17"s on mine and they are fine but I can tell that anything mroe would just be too much wheel for the car to handle.

As for the Turbo it will be a lot faster then the N/A but will require more maintence and be harder to work on yourself. But If Power is what you want go for it. I find tmy N/A to be underpowered at times but it is still so much fun in the twisties.

Drive them both and see what tickles your fancy more. If you need power go for the Turbo, if you are looking for a perfect car to drive around town that handles better then most modern cars but may not beat them in a straight line go for the N/A

I hope this helps and I do not think you could go wrong with either.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:12 PM
krystar
Drifting

yea 944NA is underpowered. but for driving around, it's still fun as hell

besides, better gas mileage hehe.

yay for another chitowner! if u need some work done, send me a holler hehe.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:24 PM
bshah1976
Racer

Again, thanks for those taking the time to provide opinions.

How much do you guys think I can get for the 18's with new tires? I would like to know in case he won't sell me the car without taking the 18's.

I did not know that the Turbo's require more maintainence.

Let's see what the guys says and will keep you posted.

krystar - what kind of work do you do for these cars? good to know.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Depends on the wheels and tires. If they're Italian knock-off wheels with cheap tires, you might get a few hundred bucks. If they're Fikses with brand new PS2s, then they might be worth $3k.

Quick Reply: Which 944 would you choose - please help