Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake going to the floor...sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:04 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake going to the floor...sometimes

i'm not sure what's going on here.

with engine off, i can pump the pedal and get solid firm pressure. but as soon as i start the engine , the gets much softer and sinks about halfway.

also when i'm driving along, sometimes there's almost no pedal pressure at all on the first brake. but subquent brakes get better with each brake.

i've powerbled all 4 corners. no air. using ate super blue.

ideas?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by krystar
i'm not sure what's going on here.

with engine off, i can pump the pedal and get solid firm pressure. but as soon as i start the engine , the gets much softer and sinks about halfway.

also when i'm driving along, sometimes there's almost no pedal pressure at all on the first brake. but subquent brakes get better with each brake.

i've powerbled all 4 corners. no air. using ate super blue.

ideas?
Brake booster....
Old 10-17-2009, 09:14 PM
krystar
Drifting

oh man...the whole unit? or maybe just the fitting?

oh...i should also mention that i stripped out a whole alot out of the vacuum system. i got a line going from the intake manifold fitting going straight to the brake booster fitting.

Last edited by krystar; 10-17-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:10 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

your engine is shot, time to buy a new one. Oh wait, that's my problem...
Old 10-17-2009, 11:46 PM
krystar
Drifting

lol. i just GOT this engine :P
Old 10-17-2009, 11:54 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you press hard on the pedal and hold it, will the pedal slowly go to the floor?

Your booster is fine. I'm betting on either a leak somewhere, or your master cylinder is shot. The seal between the front and rear portions of the master cylinder might be leaking, so its letting the pedal move down by just letting fluid pass from one chamber to another. It might also be leaking out of the rear seal, filling up the brake booster.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:14 AM
DANNiE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
If you press hard on the pedal and hold it, will the pedal slowly go to the floor?

Your booster is fine. I'm betting on either a leak somewhere, or your master cylinder is shot. The seal between the front and rear portions of the master cylinder might be leaking, so its letting the pedal move down by just letting fluid pass from one chamber to another. It might also be leaking out of the rear seal, filling up the brake booster.
Agreed; a bad booster will cause a "hard" pedal... Not a soft mushy pedal and since you already said you bleed the brakes with fresh new fluid I would say that its the master cylinder... I found a company on ebay that had one for $125 newly rebuilt...

I have a similar issue but its cause my brake fluid was disgustingly black and even with a new master cylinder the pedal mushed... Im waiting on sourcing a better Clutch feed hose before i put the reservoir back on... I think im going to go get some nice new solid metal fuel line and flare the tips and just use pieces of the old blue hose to connect it between the two...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:25 AM
krystar
Drifting

with engine off, the pedal holds forever.

i'll try with the engine on tomm.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:43 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it goes to the floor on easy application, but feels OK with hard application that's classic master cylinder failure
Cheers
Randy
Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM
krystar
Drifting

ok did a couple more test drives around the block. i did notice something interesting. when going in a straight line, it didn't really matter how far or how long since last brake application.
however, if i did some slalom manuevers, it seemed to be repetitive. first thing that came to mind was wheel bearings. i replaced the fronts already. and yesterday when i had the car jacked up, there was no movement when i jiggled the wheel back and forth. the rears were tight too.

it didn't seem to matter on soft or hard application. i did a hard test driving in a back lot at 15mph and slamming on the brakes, it still went to the floor after my slalom manuever.

i'm gonna try to the reverse bleeding thing. maybe there is still air somewhere.

cheapest solutions first
Old 10-18-2009, 04:49 PM
67King
Race Car

Have you replaced the pads recently? If not, have you done something to the car to induce this failure mode?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 PM
krystar
Drifting

pad? no.

but i blew the motor and replaced it with a new one.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:04 PM
krystar
Drifting

holy ****. i found out the brake problem.

i went around and checked all 4 corners for wheel bearing again. i don't know HOW or WHEN. but my rear left axle castle nut is GONE.

what size and what thread is this? I need to get one today!!!

Quick Reply: brake going to the floor...sometimes