Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:06 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm thinking you need "JAKE" personalized plates...
Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to be a motorcycle guy, and when my first born arrived, it was non practical to take her to daycare. So I sold the bike, and decided to go with the dream of having a sport car.

I always dreamed since I was a child to get a 1970's Datsun Z, 240 or 260.
I've looked around for a couple of months, and I was never able to find a 2 +2.
I did see some nice 2 places, but I would of come back to point 1, not being able to bring my daughter to daycare.

So I continued searching for sport cars, having 2 seats in the back, and discovered and felt in love with my first Porsche 924S. I loved it.
Afterward, I purchased and 944, 1985, and now, 2 years after my first 924,
I got myself a 951, 1986, and I really love it.

It as been over my mechanic for the last week, fixing a lot of things,
and I can't wait to have it back. Can't live without it.

I still have another month to drive around before it starts to snow, and then,
it will be parked for winter. I just love the fact than when I'll take it out for spring, the mechanical part is all going to be done, and all will have to do is drive and enjoy.

I will also take some track driving course this winter, so my car is going to be on track next spring. Can't wait.

Thanks for the post.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:33 AM
stogie25
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 944 as a cheap daily driver and highway long trip car. It has turned out to be that and a lot more. My figuring is that with two "toy cars" I can always have one on the road.

For the past thirteen years I have been daily driving, wheeling, and building my Jeep. I either break it or take it down for maintenance or modifications often enough to justify a second car. It is every bit as fun to drive and as it looks, and perfectly practical in my daily life, but it sucks for long highway drives, averages 14 mpg, and costs about $280 a tire.

I was looking for either a 914, or a Miata figuring that I would never actually drive a second car if the top was not off. I always wanted a 944, and in 1988 when mine was sitting on the showroom floor I was a Marine private. It would have taken a platoon of privates to make the payments on a new Porsche. At 42 I am no longer a private, but an Electrical Engineer, and a 20 year old Porsche is not a major expense though it is a bit of work.

I found mine at the right price, and set to fixing it up. I spent most of the free time of my last six months getting it to the almost finished state it is in now. My wife and I were worried that I would never drive it, but it turns out that I have come to love it as much as my Jeep, and drive both equally.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I wanted to pick up chicks.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:42 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I wanted to pick up chicks.
I wanted to look "cool" ~and~ pick up chicks.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOp
What's your story?
Several years ago I was showing a '75 280Z at a local car show (got 1st place in sports car class that day). A middle age couple from Chicago stopped to look at my Z and we were exchanging pleasantries. They asked if I had considered restoring a Porsche and told me about the 944 product line. They owned two and had recently purchased each one for less than $5000. That's when I started to research the features, performance, pricing, availability, maintenance/repair cost and production numbers. I sold the 280Z and bought my '88 924S (paid way to much...). Cleaned, painted and had all the needed engine/drive train work done to that and realized that it wasn't really old enough to show at local antique car shows (usually 25 years or older). Then I stumbled on to my local SCCA club and autocross. Hooked! Several months later I found a really good buy on an '87 944S. Got that all squared away as I drove it daily. Did some performance mods on the 924S to be more competitive. Sold the 944S a found an outstanding '87 944 turbo. Just like the 911 SC cars of '83 thru '88 - now is the time to buy a 944. Although the 944's will probably never appreciate like a 911 - I think they're value will increase with time.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

My father gave me my first car when I was 17. It was his old 914, he always drove Porsches. I loved that car, but this was in the UK where they salt the roads every winter and rust eventually took hold of it.

Bought my first Porsche when I was 21 (1981), a four year old 911. Bought my first new Porsche in 1986, a 944 Turbo. Bought/sold/exchanged several Porsches since. Never been without at least one Porsche. Currently have a 2000 Carrera Convertible and three 944's. It's an addiction, I cannot do without my fix and I never want to be cured!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well...for me it all started on day 1. I was Born in May of 1984 and my Dad brought me home from the hospital in his Silver 924S. From there It was over I was a Porsche man. As a baby when I could not sleep he would take me for rides in it late at night untill I fell asleep. The when I was 2 years old I went with him to pick up his Red 1986 Carrera 3.2. From There I always loved riding in it and helping Dad wash it. I would alays go with my dad to the dealers and impress the people there with how much I knew about them.

Then Once I got my license I lusted for a Porsche (my 1st car was a 96 dodge neon, good transportation but not too fun). Once I left for College I had a lot of money saved up and started searching for a 944. For some reason I just loved the looks of the 944 and one was attainable for me (in my price range). Little did I know my dad knew this too and was planning. After my freshman year of college when I came home I was moving all my stuff back into the house and Mom told me Dad wanted to talk to me outside. When I walked out the door there it was......My 1988 944 I almost fainted and I have loved and enjoyed the car ever since. (It is so much fun, it may not be the fastest thing on the road but It could probably run with most modern sportscars throught the twisties!!! Anyone can put there foot to the floor and go but a real driver lusts for those turns at 75 mph )
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Because I couldn't fit in a Miata. Really.

I wanted a track-day car, and my standards were: cheap, light, RWD, reliable, and with good aftermarket support.

The Miata was actually a better choice but I just couldn't fit into one (esp. with a helmet). So I focused on a 944. I've never been a huge Porsche fan, but I've come to really love the car and appreciate it more each time I take it on track.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive wanted a Porsche since I was 10 years old I got one at 15
Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

I've always liked the car and have been a big fan of it in recent years. After I started getting a TRUE appreciation for sports cars, and vehicles that are naturally athletic, I found a love for cars that weren't solely fast in a straight line. Before then, it was all muscle cars, carburetors, BIG blocks etc. Then I fell in love with the Toyota MR2, Alfa Romeo Milano (75), Porsche 944 (but loved it even when I liked hot rods), Mazda Miata etc.

I nearly purchased a supercharged Miata before it got crashed out on Hallett. I also nearly purchased a supercharged MR2 AW11 and an Alfa. Simply put, I could never find a decent 944 at the right price. One woman had one listed, and when I would ask her things like what it ran for insurance, or what it got for gas mileage, she would just retort with, "Who cares... It's a Porsh." So I just figured it would probably never happen.

Last December my friend gave me a call and told me about a 944 turbo about an hour from my house. He gave me the number to the seller and I told him I wasn't really interested in calling. I always got the dumb seller that couldn't tell the intake manifold from the fuze box, or the all-time favorite line, "Oh, yeah someone just bought it a couple days ago, sorry."

Anyway, I decided to entertain myself and shot the guy a call. Real down to Earth, nice, knowledgeable. I decided to check it out. WOOOOEEEE!! I nearly jumped for joy when he opened the garage door. Given the price, I expected to see a car that would need work, or at least some attention to the paint. NOPE!!! This car looked nearly mint. There were a couple tiny tiny things here and there, but overall it totally blew me away.

"Why don't you take it for a test drive?" He asks. I look at him like a kid on Christmas... "Really? You don't have a problem with that?" (Shut up Alan! He's holding the keys out for you.)

So me and my friend take the car out and I explore the exciting realm of BOOOOST. The rush and feel of the car. It was like it had never aged. Quick quick quick. I had to have it.

A few weeks and another test drive later, I talked to my bank, got the ball rolling and became the new owner of a 1987 Black 944 Turbo.

Sure, she's given me some problems and has a fuss every once in a while, but damn I love this thing. And people look at it wherever I go. Some people even throw me a thumbs-up, or shout. I love driving this thing.

Plus, I get to tell myself that I own a Turbo Porsche. How cool is that?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought about my rather short answer above and realized it needed more elaboration and details.

I wanted to look cool and pick up HOT chicks.

There, sorry about the lack of info and specifics in my earlier post.............
Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My dad told me the 944 turbo was one of the best "bang for your buck" Porsche cars out there so I began looking for one. Waited a year and a half before I found my 88.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:59 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

it is one of the few cars that I would own have enough legroom for me.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:59 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

it is one of the few cars that I would own have enough legroom for me.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a Porsche?