Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I JUST GOT BEAT by a VW!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 03:41 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, what kind of a play ground do you live in where you can beat everything with your 3 speed auto 924S?
Old 07-21-2002, 04:37 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by adrial:
<strong>Wow, what kind of a play ground do you live in where you can beat everything with your 3 speed auto 924S?</strong><hr></blockquote>

probably a Seally comfort mattress
Old 07-21-2002, 04:38 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Waterbed?
Old 07-21-2002, 05:33 PM
930 under Restoration
Racer

I don't understand when you say his turbo "kicked" in at around 45mph. Turbos are not like nitrous with a switch. Turbos "kick in" at an approximate rpm and throttle angle, not speed. If the guy in the Jetta knew how to launch a Turbo car, he would have been on boost straight out of the hole and you never would have gotten in front. A good turbo driver with a good bypass valve very rarely experiences boost lag.

It’s really funny to me when people ask me questions about the turbos in my cars and especially when they ask “How do you turn on the turbo?” That one just kills me. Then sometimes they’ll ask “when does the turbo kick in?” And I have to tell them that a turbo never kicks in, it basically gradually changes manifold pressure from negative to positive once the rpms get high enough to push enough exhaust to spin the turbo. It’s amazing how many people don’t know the basics of how a turbo makes power, even people who are into performance cars.

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong (First time for everything, right?) lol

Dave
Old 07-21-2002, 06:47 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

The reason people ask when a turbo kicks in, is because as you well know...you can technically call it whatever you want....but a turbo FEELS like it kicks in at X rpm. Well, a raw turbo with no fancy variable valve timing/variable anything like our cars.

Oh...and its not when it changes from negative manifold pressure to positive...its when it changes from 0, to positive. Thats what my boost gauge says anyway, which is hooked up guess where...the intake manifold.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:59 PM
amaf
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We took a turn after the light, I was on the outside, he took the inside. My car ate the turn, and as soon as we cut past the turn, I don't know, either he got the advantage of that like a track runner would, but he took the turn, and got closer. Than he told me the turbo kicked in after a while. I was shocked when I seen him pull next to me, and blast off. I was punching the pedal somewhat, not to much just incase I break something on this 14yr old car. I gased it enough to put pressure on the engine.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:02 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Both you and the driver of the VW are not intelligent people...
Old 07-21-2002, 07:29 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

however.. very very entertaining
Old 07-21-2002, 08:01 PM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by amaf:
<strong>it's all about the driver.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm sorry, but in an automatic, how would a drag race have ANYTHING to do with the driver?

SHAUN
Old 07-21-2002, 08:11 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Neutral slamminng takes GREAT talent
Old 07-21-2002, 08:21 PM
930 under Restoration
Racer

Adrial

&lt;&lt;&lt;Oh...and its not when it changes from negative manifold pressure to positive...its when it changes from 0, to positive. Thats what my boost gauge says anyway, which is hooked up guess where...the intake manifold.&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Oh, boost happens most certainly when the manifold pressure goes from negative pressure to positive. Actually, negative pressure is vacuum and positive pressure is boost. Most boost gauges will show negative and positive. Apparently yours only shows 0-+ however high it goes. If you are referring to the factory boost gauge, it does show negative pressure, 0-1 bar is negative (vacuum) and 1-2 bar is positive (boost. 1 bar on the stock boost gauge refers to the atmospheric pressure of 14.7psi and anything over 1 bar is positive boost pressure. Do you really think when a 951's stock boost gauge hits 2 bar that the turbo is making 29.4psi of boost? No it's only making 14.7psi of boost.

Dave
Old 07-21-2002, 08:22 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Here's what I think is happening...

1) You come to the light. You see some guy you think "wants to race."
2) When the light turns green, you floor it, and go screaming towards the next light.
3) All of a sudden, the other driver says "Hey, that assclown thinks he wants to race!" He then politely tells his girlfriend to get her head out of his lap, calmly shifts into first gear, and steps on the gas. He lights a cigarette, changes radio stations, and then actually decides to beat you.
4) By this time you've pulled away, and all of a sudden his "turbo kicks in" and he pulls past you.

Next time you decide to "**** on a mustang" at a stoplight, you should really do them a favor and TELL them that you're racing, that way they can hand you your ***, and hopefully your ego.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:39 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by 951&930_in_resto:
<strong>Adrial

Oh, boost happens most certainly when the manifold pressure goes from negative pressure to positive. Actually, negative pressure is vacuum and positive pressure is boost. Most boost gauges will show negative and positive. Apparently yours only shows 0-+ however high it goes. If you are referring to the factory boost gauge, it does show negative pressure, 0-1 bar is negative (vacuum) and 1-2 bar is positive (boost. 1 bar on the stock boost gauge refers to the atmospheric pressure of 14.7psi and anything over 1 bar is positive boost pressure. Do you really think when a 951's stock boost gauge hits 2 bar that the turbo is making 29.4psi of boost? No it's only making 14.7psi of boost.

Dave</strong><hr></blockquote>

First of all, 1 bar is 14.5psi NOT 14.7psi.

Second of all, I am talking about my aftermarket boost gauge which indicates X in. Hg vacum and X psi boost. In between vacum and boost...there is 0 (atmospheric pressure).

SO, lets say you're flooring it at say 1500rpm (turbo not making any boost)...what does the factory gauge show? about 1 bar...(1 ATM = 14.7psi and 14.5psi = 1 BAR..so we'd be seeing a little over 1 bar). And the aftermarket gauge shows 0, or atmospheric pressure. Correct?

I feel that your response was extremely nasty. Talking down to people is not cool and there is NO reason for it here.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Deepice
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Amaf, every day I meet some one who makes me feel good about my self.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:08 PM
James S.
Intermediate

i know i can take a lot of people in my 86 944. of course i have been workin on mods left and right. and the min traffic hits my racing training kicks in and i leave many of them behind but every once and a while you come up on some dude in an eclipse or civic wit a 100 shot that makes you cry of the line and you give them credit for being stupid enough to get that in a honda but even still they dont know what to do when it involves turning. its the straight line mentality i think. something most porsche addicts dont fall for since for example 944's still have extradonary handling even for its age it can out handle many the new sport compacts. peace guys

Quick Reply: I JUST GOT BEAT by a VW!