Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Performance Chip Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 11:53 PM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post S2 Performance Chip Installation

Just for the record, and for the benefit of others, I updated my website today with procedures and pictures of a chip installation in my S2.

Here's the direct link:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4475/Porsche/chip.html" target="_blank">S2 Performance Chip Installation</a>

I hope someone finds it useful.

Thanks again to everyone, especially Michael, Tom, and Tom.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:54 PM
user 8430
Banned

Great instructions, would this be the same for a 968?
Old 08-07-2002, 07:18 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by kgain968:
<strong>Great instructions, would this be the same for a 968?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks.

That I couldn't tell you for sure... but I would guess that the cars are probably similar enough that most likely it would be.

Is a chip available for the 968? I had heard somewhere that a chip was difficult to make due to the complexity of the variable valve timing, and the fact that Porsche squeezed just about everything possible out of the 968, and left nothing on the table.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:25 PM
rsrdan
Racer

Have you noticed any difference? HP,Torque,sound,throttle responce??

Thanks
Old 08-07-2002, 07:27 PM
Fixn2xlr8
Bunny with a Mission
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts
I put a chip in my 968 a while back. Looks to me to be the same instructions but my chip board looks a bit different. Other than that its the same location and everything.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:07 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts
Thank you!! I just sent out my order for a Steve R. chip this morning, and your guide will definitely be helpful when it arrives.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:37 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Skwerl:
<strong>Thank you!! I just sent out my order for a Steve R. chip this morning, and your guide will definitely be helpful when it arrives.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're welcome... glad to be of some assistance.

For the record (i.e. Rennlist archives), post how your experience was with the installation, and what you thought of the chip. I'd be interested to see if you experience similar results.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:43 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by rsrdan:
<strong>Have you noticed any difference? HP,Torque,sound,throttle response??

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess I should probably add a little bit more on my webpage to that effect. Sorry. I'll work on it at some point.

Nonetheless, here are my thoughts on the upgrade:

I have not yet done any dyno testing (and I'd definitely like to do some someday), but so far, from the seat-of-the-pants dyno, I have noticed a bit of a difference.

It certainly isn't like strapping on a supercharger... but there is an improvement. The car feels as if it revs a bit more freely, especially at lower rpms. And there is a bit more "attitude" from the exhaust, due to the advanced timing. Overall, it seems to pull/accelerate a bit stronger. I also believe that the richening of the mixture helps to balance out the fact that I drilled my airbox and installed a high-flow air filter.

I was a bit hesitant at first at doing this upgrade... just because I'm usually rather conservative, and I wasn't so sure I wanted to mess with what Porsche's engineers had already optimized, but after some dialogue with other S2 owners who had done the mod, I decided to take the chance. I had also asked my mechanic, and he said that for the $$ (under $200), it might be worth a shot, given that it is reversible.

I haven't logged a lot of miles yet on the car since I installed the chip, so it's too early to give a long-term impression, but so far, I feel that it is a worthwhile upgrade. (For less than $200, there aren't many better upgrades for a normally-aspirated vehicle.)

Hope that helps.

Now my thoughts on the subject are fully documented on both Pelican and Rennlist.

(I apologize to those folks that read both forums, and have had to trudge through duplicate text).

Quick Reply: S2 Performance Chip Installation