Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

restoring a yellow coolant tank....interesting

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 AM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I don't care what color they were back in 1984. I want to know how to make my 1984 tank look like a 2009 tank without spending $142 so can whoever has 15% peroxide try it out already? Thanks!

In case you have all forgotten, THIS is what the forum is supposed to be about. And Folgers. And whatever else we can do to keep things moving, either by going all the way or on the cheap.

This is the kind of thread I bookmark for later on when I have a few hours to kill on a weekend. Too bad its now full of e-peen contests about who has the right tabs and the best colour memory.

Maybe I can interest the arguers in 4chan.org or perhaps digg.com? Get it out of your system there. Or get out from in front of the screen and drive for a while (this may not apply if you're a concours nut, but in that case you're already brain damaged, so there is no help for you).
Old 10-15-2009, 04:49 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
i will post a pic of what Luis was thinking the coolant tank looked like.you can see the uneven yellow stains on it compared to the white filler neck which is thicker and still holding its original colour.
That book was published in 1989, btw.

Originally Posted by JET951
whats more ridiculous is that we are arguing what colour a coolant tank was when it was new.
Who's arguing?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ

Maybe I can interest the arguers in 4chan.org or perhaps digg.com? Get it out of your system there. Or get out from in front of the screen and drive for a while (this may not apply if you're a concours nut, but in that case you're already brain damaged, so there is no help for you).
you are 100% correct sir. anyone who does share your opinion and values is brain damaged.

Since anyone who does not share your values is brain damaged, they should probably be executed to make the world a better place for all of us that are just like you.

technically, what is the difference between rebuilding an old car and restoring an old car?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:45 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My favorite colour is red.

I also like sunsets. I think because they have red in them. That probably explains why I don't faint at the sight of blood. But I don't like blood oranges for some reason. They just seem un-natural and wrong to me.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

$65.00 and mine is new !
Old 10-15-2009, 06:11 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
you are 100% correct sir. anyone who does share your opinion and values is brain damaged.
Obviously the concours part was sarcasm (remember what that is?). And what do you care anyway...you actually DRIVE your cars.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:44 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, is it white or yellow?
I've looked at my 86 40 page brochure, not one good pic, although a corner pic shows it to be white...
6 80's era Auto,Motor und Sport, not 1 good pic...

mine is yellow, but the neck is white...???

I'm thinking about buying one from ebay and seeing if I can make it white...
using the techniques in th OP...
Old 10-15-2009, 08:57 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarylJ

In case you have all forgotten, THIS is what the forum is supposed to be about. And Folgers. And whatever else we can do to keep things moving, either by going all the way or on the cheap.

This is the kind of thread I bookmark for later on when I have a few hours to kill on a weekend. Too bad its now full of e-peen contests about who has the right tabs and the best colour memory.

Folgers FTW!
Name:  100_1750.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  92.2 KB

But I am partial! and my tank is WHITE!

I don't care if it is period correct... because my MAF sure isn't, neither is my boost sensor, dash, or MY02 rims... my suspension is CLOSE..but nope not period correct either...

So stick that in some 15% peroxide and smoke it!

Who's got big *****?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:02 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone tell me where I can get peroxide in higher concentrations than the stuff at walgreens and I'll try it.

The tank I want to work on is my 84's, which is not dirty, but discolored. It is now the color of a nasty sick loogie.

My brother didn't want to pay $55 for a new tank for his VW Corrado, so he bought a new one for a Golf which was $12 and it fits perfectly. It's almost the same shape, just a little smaller in one area. Too bad a different tank won't work for us.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Someone tell me where I can get peroxide in higher concentrations than the stuff at walgreens and I'll try it.

The tank I want to work on is my 84's, which is not dirty, but discolored. It is now the color of a nasty sick loogie.

My brother didn't want to pay $55 for a new tank for his VW Corrado, so he bought a new one for a Golf which was $12 and it fits perfectly. It's almost the same shape, just a little smaller in one area. I wonder if a different tank would work for us folk who don't care about originality but just want to be able to read our coolant level without breaking the bank on a new 944 tank.
35%
http://www.chemical-supermarket.com/...FRBM5QodCivVyQ

let us know how it goes... but can prove to be an expensive venture.... $60 for 500ml.. bottle should be about the size of a 20oz soda bottle...
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well if it will cost $60 for a bottle of h2o2 I don't see how that risk is worth it - I'd rather just double that and buy a new tank which A) I know will be white, and B) is not 25 years old and might leak any day now.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well if it will cost $60 for a bottle of h2o2 I don't see how that risk is worth it - I'd rather just double that and buy a new tank which A) I know will be white, and B) is not 25 years old and might leak any day now.

Actually I just checked and I can get an NA tank brand new for under $85 if I order one at work. So I think I'll leave the peroxide to someone else and just buy a new one.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:01 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Actually the first edition was printed in 1990, we have the second edition printed in 1994 with the 968 cab in the back pages. If that turboi engine is an '89 which it looks as it has the forge wheels (also available on the 88 turbo S) and the later strut mounts. so really that gives at least one year for that coolant tank to discolour. all the photos in Porche by Lucinda Lewis were taken by her not taken by porsche, so none are new factory cars

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
That book was published in 1989, btw.

Who's arguing?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
35%
http://www.chemical-supermarket.com/...FRBM5QodCivVyQ

let us know how it goes... but can prove to be an expensive venture.... $60 for 500ml.. bottle should be about the size of a 20oz soda bottle...
35% H2O2 requires some careful handling!!! I would be surprised if UPS will drop it off on your doorstep.

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
IMMEDIATE CONCERNS: Oxidizer. Contact with combustibles may cause fire. Decomposes yielding oxygen that supports combustion of organic matters and can cause overpressure if confined.
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS: Corrosive to eyes, nose, throat and lungs. May cause irreversible tissue damage to the eyes including blindness. May cause skin irritation.

PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
EYES AND FACE: Use cup type chemical goggles. Full face shield may be used.
RESPIRATORY: If concentrations in excess of 10 ppm are expected use approved self-contained breathing apparatus. Do not use oxidizable sorbants such as activated carbon.

PROTECTIVE CLOTHING: Liquid proof rubber or neoprene gloves. Rubber or neoprene footwear (avoid leather). Impervious clothing materials such as rubber, neoprene, nitrile or polyvinyl chloride (avoid cotton, wool and leather). Completely submerge hydrogen peroxide contaminated clothing or other materials in water prior to drying. Residual hydrogen peroxide, if allowed to dry on materials such as paper, fabrics, cotton, leather, wood or other combustibles can cause the material to ignite and result in a fire.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:29 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Originally Posted by 944Ross
35% H2O2 requires some careful handling!!! I would be surprised if UPS will drop it off on your doorstep.

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
IMMEDIATE CONCERNS: Oxidizer. Contact with combustibles may cause fire. Decomposes yielding oxygen that supports combustion of organic matters and can cause overpressure if confined.
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS: Corrosive to eyes, nose, throat and lungs. May cause irreversible tissue damage to the eyes including blindness. May cause skin irritation.

PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
EYES AND FACE: Use cup type chemical goggles. Full face shield may be used.
RESPIRATORY: If concentrations in excess of 10 ppm are expected use approved self-contained breathing apparatus. Do not use oxidizable sorbants such as activated carbon.

PROTECTIVE CLOTHING: Liquid proof rubber or neoprene gloves. Rubber or neoprene footwear (avoid leather). Impervious clothing materials such as rubber, neoprene, nitrile or polyvinyl chloride (avoid cotton, wool and leather). Completely submerge hydrogen peroxide contaminated clothing or other materials in water prior to drying. Residual hydrogen peroxide, if allowed to dry on materials such as paper, fabrics, cotton, leather, wood or other combustibles can cause the material to ignite and result in a fire.
Mehhh... blindness is a small price to pay maybe you guys can tell me how white it is after I'm done cleaning it?

Quick Reply: restoring a yellow coolant tank....interesting