Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

restoring a yellow coolant tank....interesting

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:32 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default restoring a yellow coolant tank....interesting

I did a google search and found some computer geeks got together and invented a mixture that removes "yellowing" caused by age/heat on their old computer plastic casings...They did a pretty thorough investigation into the makeup of plastics and consulted some experts in the plastic field.

I am replacing my radiator and all rubber this weekend and wonder if anyone out there thinks this would be a safe experiment.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be worth it for you to try. Let us know how it works
Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good find: that's a really informative site. You have to love the public domain!

I had been looking at the coolant tank and wondering whether it could be bleached with chlorine, but they appear to have developed a much better way.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:58 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is meant for ABS plastic...are the coolant tanks ABS? Not quite up to speed on my plastics....
Old 10-10-2009, 12:19 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I used Oxy-Clean on my tank a couple of years ago. While it didn't make it white it definitely made the yellow/gold less dark.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI -- the 10-15% H2O2 "available at beauty suppliers" probably isn't easy to get after the recent arrest of that terrorist in Denver. It is used by bomb-makers and may be tracked by Homeland Security ...
Old 10-10-2009, 01:15 AM
mezus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how this would help the problem, and it seems like it would make it worse. I thought the reason the tanks turned yellow was that they get oxidized with age. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizing agent, so it should just make it worse. I guess it wouldn't hurt to spot test it, though!
Old 10-10-2009, 01:24 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

I have not looked in years, but hydrogen peroxide is also sold in high concentrations at pool supply stores.
You know it's nasty stuff when it comes in the same container as liquid shock or algaecide, but is also double bagged in 5mil plastic.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:41 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have a farmer or agriculturist friend, they might be able to get 30% peroxide.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:27 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

A couple years back I found something that works escellent, and left me with a perfectly clear coolant tank.

I cracked open my wallet and ordered a new one.

You should give that a try and let me know how it works! Good luck!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:02 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
FYI -- the 10-15% H2O2 "available at beauty suppliers" probably isn't easy to get after the recent arrest of that terrorist in Denver. It is used by bomb-makers and may be tracked by Homeland Security ...
Which really sucks, because those of us who have wells with iron bacteria and know the secret - peroxide - end up having a hard time picking it up in larger quantities. I usually just empty the grocery store out every few months, especially in the summer when I need it most.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregeast
I used Oxy-Clean on my tank a couple of years ago. While it didn't make it white it definitely made the yellow/gold less dark.
That's probably closer to what it looked like when new than it would by replacing it anyway. I read somewhere recently that these tanks were not white when new, but more of a light caramel color.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Which really sucks, because those of us who have wells with iron bacteria and know the secret - peroxide - end up having a hard time picking it up in larger quantities. I usually just empty the grocery store out every few months, especially in the summer when I need it most.
oh ill have to remember that, i hate having my driveway turn orange from rusty runoff
Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
That's probably closer to what it looked like when new than it would by replacing it anyway. I read somewhere recently that these tanks were not white when new, but more of a light caramel color.
you obviously have never bought one new. they are white when new. we replace them all the time on the 80+ 944 that we work on. and the best part is they are cheap. dont bother trying to clean them. just buy a new one
Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
oh ill have to remember that, i hate having my driveway turn orange from rusty runoff
Not quite the same thing. You need a filter for that. This is the stuff that turns the inside of your pipes black and stinks like sulfur.

You can inject the peroxide into your pipes (I take an in-line filter out and fill the housing with peroxide) and then run the hot and cold water at each faucet until you smell the peroxide coming out, then let it sit in the pipe for about 15 or 30 minutes. When you turn the water back on, it spits and sputters (from the gas created with the peroxide reacting with the bacteria) and blows out what looks like black death. Run it until it runs cleans and your water doesn't smell anymore.

The alternative is to chlorinate your water with a chlorine injector and storage tank. As the water tests say there is nothing else problematic in the water, and that bacteria is harmless to people (just smelly), I really don't see the need to make pool water to come out of my taps, so I just take the time to clean the **** out every month or so in the summer (it doesn't get bad as fast in the winter....I guess the grow better with heat).

Quick Reply: restoring a yellow coolant tank....interesting