Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Care to Share Splitter Install Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:57 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone Care to Share Splitter Install Pics?

I bought a CPR splitter...looks fantastic and can't wait to get it installed...but, it came with the splitter and a bag of screws. Not a single page of directions...

I've been messing around with it for awhile now trying to figure out what goes where. There are obviously a number of places that don't match up - like where the splitter connects to the front tray and a couple other spots. I'm trying to figure out how to install this thing and I'm coming up empty. Clearly, this thing needs to be damn secure otherwise it will rip itself off and tear up god knows what underneath the car when it lets loose...so I want to make sure I'm not skimping anywhere or missing any connections.

If you've got pics of the underside of your CPR splitter and any tips/extra hardware you bought or moved from the stock piece - I'd appreciate a peek at it. Thanks much!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove stock batwing.
Attach normal screws where holes line up.
Use self-tapping screws to connect the rest of the holes.

It's a very stiff piece and really doesn't need more than the existing mounting locations.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:28 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

yeah, i got all the easy screws in...the ones around the front edge...I'm talking about the ones that connect the batwing to the plastic tray and the screws on the very edges that were bolted down right in front of the tires...there's no spot for that with the splitter.

I had a helluva time getting the old screws back in with the splitter attached so I just used the longer sel tapping ones (and bought more) in all of those locations. The main issue was just the length of the old screws...they are just so short.

They supplied some long screws (not self-tapping) - like 1 1/2 inchers and some type of a nut thing but it doesnt screw down...almost like a rubber washer thing on one side and a metal washer attached on the other. Not sure what to do with those/where they go. There's clearly more screws than I can find for spots if they are assuming that you are re-using the smaller screws for the 8 or so 'easy' spots around the front lip.

Anyway, pictures underneath in the weird spots would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

I just installed the CPR splitter and had the same concerns; however, I came to the conclusion that I was just over thinking it.Once I got the Old splitter off I used the nine screws and washers for the nine pre drilled holes. Once all of those were on, the splitter was on tight without any issues. I first had a small gap on the right side which went away by the next day...I think the splitter pulled the bumper out to fit. I don't think there is a need to connect the back of the bat wing as this new piece is a bit shorter and stiffer than the old material. It is my understanding that the self taping screws are for making adjustments if needed. In my case the splitter stops short of the fender wall by a little less that 3/16 of an inch on the passenger side. I could remove the far right screw, lift, and use the self taping screws to mount. I am holding off because I don't feel at this point that making a new hole in the bumper is worth the small alignment issue.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:44 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Thanks jsain...

Is that what those rubber/metal washer things are for? I'm still trying to figure out where those things go...

The non-tapping screws they supplied are to big to fit into the receptacle clips so I assumed that those weren't for the 9 spots around the front lip. I just bought the self tapping screws and some washers for that - the self-tappers they supplied fit those clips perfectly.

I was reading through some other posts of folks who have installed the CPR and one mentioned using plastic rivets to hold the batwing to the tray...I may try that.

I like the idea of using bolts in places but don't want to get it on there so good that if I end up hitting something I rip the entire front end of my car off in the process.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Rubber washers are to go between head of screw and splitter.

For the two at each end by the wheel, I drilled a pilot hole in splitter, then used a self-tapping screw provided to attach the splitter to the lower part of the bumper cover.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Choinga, I did a thread with pictures on how I mounted my V3.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by choinga
Thanks jsain...

Is that what those rubber/metal washer things are for? I'm still trying to figure out where those things go...

The non-tapping screws they supplied are to big to fit into the receptacle clips so I assumed that those weren't for the 9 spots around the front lip. I just bought the self tapping screws and some washers for that - the self-tappers they supplied fit those clips perfectly.

I was reading through some other posts of folks who have installed the CPR and one mentioned using plastic rivets to hold the batwing to the tray...I may try that.

I like the idea of using bolts in places but don't want to get it on there so good that if I end up hitting something I rip the entire front end of my car off in the process.
I used my original clips with the non tapping screws and rubber washers.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:41 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
Choinga, I did a thread with pictures on how I mounted my V3.
link? I can't seem to find it...I swear I've covered ever possible CPR/Splitter search looking for pics...
Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Try this: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...r-pics-19.html
Old 10-09-2009, 07:53 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Van. I've got that part down...I reinstalled the larger non-tapping bolts with those rubber/metal washers in the 'easy' holes and am down to the final two pre-drilled holes which are the ones closest to the wheel. I'm not sure what to do with those - the hole is drilled in such a way that the screw goes in sideways instead of straight up which is where the clip is. I got my drill out and routed the hole a bit so it would go in, but there the screw doesn't seem to be long enough to reach the clip. I'm also concerned about damaging the splitter or the integrity of the hold with those two screws since the washer won't lay level with the plastic even if I get a longer screw that will make it to the clip?

Anyone have an underview picture of those two places that I'm referring to?

Other than that - the thing seems very solid. I may skip connecting the splitter to the tray - it just doesn't seem like it needs it.

Did anyone attach any screws further back towards the wheel or was that last pre-drilled hole the final one you used?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I wasn't able to get that last set of holes to line up - that's why I made those custom rear brackets.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

FWIW...I had difficulty with those at first but once I got under the car I saw that it was at an angle then it lined up perfect for me...I used all 9 pre drilled holes without modification. Are you getting under the car or just attempting it from on the ground? I am sure that since these cars are 20 years old there maybe some differences in alignment.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone - I think I got it...I just took a drive and let loose a little and didn't have any problems - still snug. I opted for two self-tapping screws on the edges there where that last hole wouldn't line up. I drilled a pilot hole and then held the splitter and the bumper right where I wanted and screwed in the self-tappers. Worked like a champ and it's solid. I drilled a couple holes in the underside where the splitter overlaps with the plastic tray and put a couple bolts/washers/nuts and tightened them down for good measure.

I feel pretty comfortable with it. If I was doing one again it would be a breeze, I'll say that much.

Not a great pic - but here's the finished product:
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Looks great!

...now get some euro fogs.

Quick Reply: Anyone Care to Share Splitter Install Pics?