Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank YOU Cash For Clunkers (picknpull find)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

I sold a 90 S2 with less than 75k, a brand new clutch, recent belts, maintenance records from day one, very presentable paint and an excellent interior with two sets of wheels and great tires for a whopping 8k a year ago.

the person that clunked that S2 got say 4k for a car that y'all would fry if he tried to sell here.

Lets see, it needs a timing belt and water pump so knock a grand off, the clutch has the rubber center so knock twenty five hundred off, oh yeah the paint isnt great so knock a few more off, then of course there are the tires and brakes.

Yep that car y'all are pissin and moaning over is a 4k car on this board. instead of listening to the whining of prospective buyers he trashed it and took the money.

CARS made me glad i bought my saturn in june. i bet the price of my astra went up a few hundred or more when people with old explorers with 150k on them and bald tires were trading them for 4500 bucks. and when CARS came out GM wasnt rounding up GM card bonus money etc.

it was a good program - it sold a lot of cars, got things moving, and got rid of a lot of old explorers etc.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:31 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, if you are still following the thread, I could REALLY use the intake, throttle cable and throttle body off an S2 - sounds like they'll sell it to you for cheap. Any chance we could work out a deal for you to get them for me?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:57 AM
sdstimson
Rennlist Member

Thanks elzergone! I got up went to school, then drove 3 hours to the pick 'n pull to this car got front suspension, spindles ect., sway bar, batwing with the other aero pice connected to it, transmission, computer, mint foglights, a/c control, the car is clean, couple other guys where there trying to cut through one of the tie rods trying to get it off :/, got the rear carpet, both front fenders have dents, engine may have a crack as it was leaking antifreeze pretty bad, will post f/s thread soon, the pieces from this car might actually let me get the money to buy my text books !
Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I sold a 90 S2 with less than 75k, a brand new clutch, recent belts, maintenance records from day one, very presentable paint and an excellent interior with two sets of wheels and great tires for a whopping 8k a year ago.

the person that clunked that S2 got say 4k for a car that y'all would fry if he tried to sell here.

Lets see, it needs a timing belt and water pump so knock a grand off, the clutch has the rubber center so knock twenty five hundred off, oh yeah the paint isnt great so knock a few more off, then of course there are the tires and brakes.
I laughed. Poor Tom, ever the victim of lowballers. Then I took 5 minutes to look at your own past posts...

No offense but... Your car is a $3,000 piece of junk. My 944S2 and my 951 is also a piece of junk. The NA i just sold is also a piece of junk. You probably paid $1500 for the car and $1500 for the recent work. If your split was more than a $2000/1000 split you may have paid too much.

A time capsule is a time capsule. There is little to no market for 944 time capsules. There is even less of a market for cars that need to be restored. How much does it cost to re do a dash the right way?
A handful of special 944s does not make the 944 a collectible. I stand by everything I said in this thread. Moreover, my position has been consistent throughout.
Pot, meet kettle. In your own words, nobody's car is "worth it" except yours when you went to sell it.

I got $6500 for the value of a 156,000 mile 944 when a woman totaled it. Subtract the cost of the parts I bought from 10/07 to 10/08, and they effectively paid $4000 for a car that saw 4 season duty in New England, with original paint (aka, it didn't look great.) So how do you rationalize that people would tear down a lower-mile S2?

Would I buy that S2 for $4000? No. I'm a college student with 2 cars, and I got a great deal on the 944S. That doesn't take away from my opinion that this S2, before they seized the engine, was worth $4000.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
elzergone
Pro

Originally Posted by pjburges
Hey, if you are still following the thread, I could REALLY use the intake, throttle cable and throttle body off an S2 - sounds like they'll sell it to you for cheap. Any chance we could work out a deal for you to get them for me?
I was gonna go back to it this weekend to see if I can get the bumper, so I can check for you for sure! If its cheap I'll grab it and let you know for sure.

Originally Posted by sdstimson
Thanks elzergone! I got up went to school, then drove 3 hours to the pick 'n pull to this car got front suspension, spindles ect., sway bar, batwing with the other aero pice connected to it, transmission, computer, mint foglights, a/c control, the car is clean, couple other guys where there trying to cut through one of the tie rods trying to get it off :/, got the rear carpet, both front fenders have dents, engine may have a crack as it was leaking antifreeze pretty bad, will post f/s thread soon, the pieces from this car might actually let me get the money to buy my text books !
Wow sounds like you cleaned up, haha. Glad it worked out for you. I'm bummed you took the foglights, I was hoping to get the whole front end to convert my 84, but oh well
Old 10-02-2009, 07:47 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Ok cool! Id like to run a test for the S car guys, and do a dyno test running the stock setup intake, and then again with the S2 setup. It is rumored that the S2 intake is more efficient. From inspection it looks probable. Id like to actually run the #'s and see what happens, although I dont have much money. =(
Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 AM
DANNiE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdstimson
How much for the batwing..? PM me...
Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Well if you think you can get that sunroof interior panel for cheap I'd like it. Mine is coming unglued. But if it's going to be a lot of trouble or $ don't worry about it.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:13 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a ****ing shame....

Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
I laughed. Poor Tom, ever the victim of lowballers. Then I took 5 minutes to look at your own past posts...

Pot, meet kettle. In your own words, nobody's car is "worth it" except yours when you went to sell it.

I got $6500 for the value of a 156,000 mile 944 when a woman totaled it. Subtract the cost of the parts I bought from 10/07 to 10/08, and they effectively paid $4000 for a car that saw 4 season duty in New England, with original paint (aka, it didn't look great.) So how do you rationalize that people would tear down a lower-mile S2?

Would I buy that S2 for $4000? No. I'm a college student with 2 cars, and I got a great deal on the 944S. That doesn't take away from my opinion that this S2, before they seized the engine, was worth $4000.
Wow, I am flattered that you follow my posts with such fervor.

You clearly did not comprehend my point in either of the posts you so eloquently quote. I have on many occasions said the value of a 944 is minimal, and all the value is directly attributeable to the recent work done on any 944. The S2 in the pick n pull was valued by me using standard valuation methods.

I took the value of a S2 i sold for fair market value - which has been defined by courts as what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. I then deducted the cost of some of the typical work done to my S2, and done by purchasers of 944s, and used in their computation of what they will pay for the car to come up with my $4,000 figure.

The $4,000 figure was also arbitrary, and explained in the earlier post as the split of the two CARS payments. That amount is a guesstimate of what the owner of the S2 at the pick n pull got when he traded the car in.

While i am flattered by the attention you give me any my posts, I recommend that you re read my posts and then think about what i am saying before trying to twist my words.

Kettle meet pot - my posts that you quote state my opinion that a running 944 has minimal value value, this applies to ones that Ive bought, sold, or "valued".

My objective determination of value applies to 944s and also to another so called collectible - the 183k mile E36 M3 in my garage, and the almost indentical10k mile E36 M3 in my coworkers garage.

Quick Reply: Thank YOU Cash For Clunkers (picknpull find)