Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chip for NON-TURBO 944

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 01:20 AM
PSH944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to notice significant increases in performance after a trip to my mechanic. I kept wondering what he did to make my car feel so much smoother and quicker. Then one time I got the car back and it felt great, but the next day he mentioned he hadn't even touched the car the day before.

My point is the human mind is very good at telling us what we want to hear, but a dyno is completely unemotional.

I am not saying anyone is not telling the truth, just that estimated horsepower figures aren't really worth much.

However, it would seem from this thread, that a good chip will make a noticable difference.

Off topic, I'm in the middle of designing a nice Porsche website, so if anyone wants to send any of these dyno's of their cars, I would love to put them up on the site. It doesn't even need to be the dyno, just the figures would be good too. Before/after figures of chip or any other upgrades would be ideal. If you do send info include other factors like weight of the car, model, age etc. My email is pnbarber@hotmail.com.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:15 AM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

FomulaOne110,
I didn't say I was using FR's chip???
If you made 10whp great! A 88 car was the only car that was dyno'd that made 10whp. It had a different a/f meter/injection system. Dyno yours???

I just wanted to share my (real results) with some of the listers who want FACTS, not (SOP)feelings!
The chip was also way too rich, maybe some guys can sniff the exhaust to adjust that : O
Sorry, placebos work, not just with pills!
It's not like I didn't want it to work!!!
We were looking for at least 10WHP!!!
Paul
Old 08-23-2002, 04:57 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's mine:

S
Old 08-23-2002, 08:59 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Skip,
What year and mods? 132WHP seems to average for the spec-series cars in PHX. Simple bolt-ons are the only mods allowed for my class.(except for the shaved head)
Paul
Old 08-23-2002, 09:04 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bone-stock 86 944 - added Tornado to intake, Super FuelMax to fuel lines, and Slick50 to oil.

Skip
Old 08-24-2002, 02:25 AM
FormulaOne10
Pro

Yep Paul, I guess you must know my car better than I do.

BTW Skip - nice dyno!
Old 08-24-2002, 02:50 AM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Fomulaonewanna10WHP,
No, I don't know your car better than you! Well to be honest probabley. Is yours different than any of the other 944's brought into the country? I just know that cars are machines and aren't subjective to feelings. Certain models tested on a dyno make a average range of power. What do you base your statement that your car makes 10WHP on?? Can you tell the difference between 4-8? 2-6? 6-8? 0-10WHP? yes? You ought to market your SOP dyno to clubs. Rather than buy a dynojet or mustang dyno they could hire you!
How's your sniffer? My a/f might be rich.
Paul
Old 08-24-2002, 03:23 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hopefully my humor was seen - just playing Friday...

Paul, basically it's an 89 2.7l engine with 86 fuel injection, wiring, and DME. Added are Autothority Chip, Bursch Header, Custom 2.5" Exhaust using 2 Dynomax UltraFlo Mufflers (one in place of cat to cut down on resonance), MSD6A CD Ignition and Blaster2 coil, 8mm plug wires with proper BERU ends, BERU Silverstone plugs, AC delete, K&N panel filter in modified airbox, and Redline 10W30 racing oil (yes, it does make a difference ). For more on my setup, <a href="http://home.att.net/~projekt944/specs.htm" target="_blank">see my spec sheet</a>. As you know, my car wouldn't be allowed in your Cup series because of the engine swap - an obstacle I am still overcoming in National SCCA - regionally, they could care less as long as I carry the obligatory 100lb weight penalty (negating the 10HP advantage I have over most 2.5l cars). The 2.7l is a world of difference from the 2.5l in the low torque - that's what makes it such a fun autocross car.... however, I always get bumped up into higher classes because of the swap - like running against the S2, 951, and 968... and the likes of the RSA, 993, and 996, and 914/6... I always hope for good karma on days like that

We have our own 944 series starting up north soon - maybe they'll let me play too

S
Old 08-24-2002, 04:13 AM
FormulaOne10
Pro

Paul, is your chip an FR Wilk chip? Or is it another brand?

To calculate my figures for hp I just did a simple F=MA calculation. Granted my testing conditions aren't perfect but my figures should be somewhat accurate.

Also Paul, please don't resort to personal attacks. I think it makes us all look bad.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:30 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

The sniffer and (SOP) part was my attempt at being funny.
I guess it was kind of insensitive : 0

The vendor is trying to correct the problem, so I don't think it is proper to say who the vendor is till he has a chance to correct the problem.(although he is going on 2 months now)

As far as me personnally attacking you. I don't feel what I said was personal. It simply pointed out how silly it is for someone with-out a dyno to make statements like that. Example..cause then someone takes your SOP dyno as fact then spends there hard earned money on something that doesn't work.

Maybe there are people who can tell what the hp gain was because they use a dyno then drive the car over and over and over and over......
The performance aftermarket is full of snake-oil IMHO (tornado) OOPS! sorry!

If your feelings got hurt I appologize, but in my world I want someone to tell me the facts not agree with me so I feel good. Notice I said "my world".
Paul
Old 08-24-2002, 01:11 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Sooooooo chips good or bad, or useless? That was the point of this thread? Other then that, I am going to ty-wrap a magnet to my fuel inlet line. and get positive something or another in my fuel delivery.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:47 PM
FormulaOne10
Pro

Paul, I never felt bad because you happened to disagree with me. In fact I aprreciate you posting your results because it helps me and others better analyze our cars. I never claimed to be as accurate as a dyno...I approximated as I stated before. However, I would still claim that my approximations are somewhat accurate. I do agree that many upgrades are snake oil...k&n, blaster coil, plug wires, tornado, etc. I've bought the blaster coil and k&n and I know what snake oil is. However, the chip made a noticable difference.

By the way, don't you think people can see that I am not claiming to have actual dyno figures for power increases? I think they might be wary enough to see that I have not actually gone to a dyno and can take that for what its worth. They can also see that I am being as truthful and helpful as possible and am not trying to waste their "hard earned money."

Can you tell if you gained weight without a scale? Can you tell if something is louder without measuring decibals? Can you approximate a the pressure of a underinflated tire without using a gauge? Well, I can't do any of these things as accurate as a measuring device...but I can usally come pretty damn close.

But whatever - I guess it doesn't matter because I didn't dyno my car.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Fomulaone10,
Good Point! I can tell the difference in a tire going down. Sound, ect.... but that really isn't the same. You know there is a difference, but how much of a difference? Does that tire going down now have 31.5lbs or 30.2lbs from 33lbs?? Is it more low end torque that might make the engine have more throttle response? Feels faster? Till you get in a race and have no top end.
Anyway you made some good points, but of the dyno charts I have seen on 83-87 944 n/a's they don't make but a couple of hp.

Paul

Quick Reply: Chip for NON-TURBO 944