Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailer cleaned the engine bay and now it won't start....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:49 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts
Angry Detailer cleaned the engine bay and now it won't start....

Car is an 83 944, no engine mods - no security system.

Dad had the local detailer clean his car and the detailer "cleaned" the engine. I do not know with what, dad is supposed to find out for me soon.

The detailer attempted to start the car to back it out of the shop once he finished and it would not start. It still does not start and that was over a week ago. Dad is a competent aircraft mechanic and has been through the electrical system and has not had any luck finding any faults.

It has spark.

It has fuel if he jumpers the DME relay, but with just a relay in it, the fuel pump does not kick on.

He has tried both a new DME relay and another DME, no effect.

So I guess what I need to know is what typically gets damaged when people clean the engine bay so we can go from there. TIA!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

i had a similar problem where i pressure washed my engine and it wouldnt start for a few hours and then it suddenly did, i figure a connection got wet and then just dried off.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could a connector to crank sensor have been bumped?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:59 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
Could a connector to crank sensor have been bumped?
or saturated with water, which has now fully corroded the connections? If it turns out to be the reference sensor connections I have replacement connectors, pins, seals, and boots...

Does the car start with the DME relay jumpered?
If so see if the Tachometer works... I'm betting not... if it will even fire... all you need to run is fuel, air and spark... SOOOO.. jumper the DME relay, and crank the car... if it starts and the tac isn't working they HOSED the speed / ref sensors... pull the connections and clean them out with electrical connector cleaner..if they are too far gone for the elec contact cleaner I can supply new pins and connectors...
Old 09-19-2009, 07:01 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

BTW, it is a good idea to spray ALL the connectors out with elec contact cleaner after cleaning the engine bay... it will displace any water that is in them, and protect the electrical system from corrosion...
Old 09-19-2009, 07:10 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Ooooh, forgot ask dad if the tach bounced - good call!

Yeah, he cleaned every connector in the engine bay, but it's possible that they are still damaged......
Old 09-19-2009, 07:14 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sharky47
Ooooh, forgot ask dad if the tach bounced - good call!

Yeah, he cleaned every connector in the engine bay, but it's possible that they are still damaged......
yes, if corrosion has set in... it is there and needs to be cut out...
Old 09-27-2009, 04:05 AM
bob164
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

How much do you want for two sets of reference sensor connectors, seals, and boots? They turned to dust when I tried to disconnect them from my engine harness. See attached photo. I wouldn't doubt they are the problem with sharkey47's dad's car. My car was running fine, but when I removed their bracket from the intake manifold while taking things apart to get to an oil pan gasket leak, they just crumbled in my hands. The female body on the engine harness was fine, just the refrence sensor side disintigrated. So as you said if there is water between these pins or corrosion there would be no spark.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Detailer cleaned the engine bay and now it won't start....