Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 spec at Nationals at Miller - 5 wide into turn 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure the wide track helped, but turn 1 is taken at about 80 mph in our cars so alot can go wrong going 5 wide on the way in. I think the limited contact is really a result of both driver skill all the way throgh the grid and basic respect for our fellow racers. I know there were many times contact was averted by drivers keeping their heads on straight and backing out of passes that were just too risky. There were many times I was racing guys where their could have been contact if it were not for the good driving of my competitors. That is the way we like it. Close hard racing, but still clean. The SM guys all seem to have a tire donut or two after their race. Over 3 races I think there were only two cases of minor contact with any noticeable marks. Very good IMHO consider how much of a war the racing really was. No gimmes anywhere through the field.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
JayVee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those race photos are great! Thanks for the new computer desktop wallpaper.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 PM
chris_v
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the props. Like Joe said, I was able to gain 12 positions, 11 on track, getting me the hard charger award. My engine is definitely low on power. At my last event I blew up my good, strong, engine and swapped this engine from a salvaged street car. It ran the whole event but was frustrating being down on power and even having to run a defensive line just to keep the people from passing me on the straight. I had car problems the whole weekend and the main race was the second time I ran the course that event, how frustrating bleh! Especially frustrating since I showed up with full tread RA-1's and was hoping to wear them into a "faster" level by the main race, so much for that. Still made for an exciting race.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM
M758
Race Director

Chris it is too late now, but shave those RA-1s. Next year leave only the full tread stuff for rain days. Over the years since 2002 to 2008 I ran RA-1's and in my experince full tread tires took 12 heat cycles to be fast. 4/32 shaved RA-1 needed only 5-6 to be fast. Both tires lasted 24-28 heat cycles before they were done. So other than the $15 to shave there is no downside to shaving the RA-1s.

The set you have now will still be fine as once in the sweet spot I could never tell the differenve between an RA-1 that was run full tread vs one that had been shaved. The shave tire just mean fewer "wear in" heat cycles and therefore increased the number of compeititve heat cycles you could get from the tires. 4/32 RA-1 are still good in light rain, but in a downpower the full treads a better.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:31 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't wait to join you guys. After 8 months of building I am ready to go. Got my log book and inspection from Hanksville just this morning.

My first race will with be with RMR at the enduro on the 27th.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Oh - tighten that damn mirror...
That damn mirror has been loose for the better part of a year now. We see him adjusting it in all of his videos.

Originally Posted by M758
They say a replay will be up on Sept 22 on speedcasttv.com

The speed cast guys said it was the best race of the weekend.
That's also what I've been hearing on a few other forums... This really put us on the map, and we got very positive feedback from the coverage. I'm looking forward to seeing that, and I still have 40GB of in-car video to go through as well. I'm starting to trim, compress, and post the individual videos now, and then I'll see what we have to work with for producing a combined video that switches between cameras...

2010 should be better... one tire for everyone, we know what to expect now, and hopefully there will be less drama (at least our stuff wasn't anywhere near as bad as what happened in Honda Challenge).
Old 09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Yeah,
Those passed under FCY were SCARY. You'd think passing a car that fast on the main straight would be a sign of doing something wrong.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Weston

2010 should be better... one tire for everyone...
As if 944s aren't slow enough already!

It is amazing to see a huge field of cars, the newest of which are 20 years old. What's ironic is that the "bastard child" reputation of the 924/944 is exactly what makes this series work. You can pick up a runner for $3,000 and make (or buy) a racer for $6,000. The 911 family is simply too valuable in the marketplace to ever fill that role.

PS: What happened with Honda Challenge?

Last edited by Potomac-Greg; 09-16-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Man this is making me want to use my downpayment for my house on finishing my car!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:54 PM
M758
Race Director

Chris looks like you have cage in the car... so seems done to me. Get out a race it.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Banshee
Instructor

Man as i type this im still watching the video, this is so fun to watch.

Hey i have a question as reading the other posts i got curious, have you guys ever had 968s race out there with you before? Or are they in a different performance class?

Also as a racing question in general what with you guys and your respect for each other...how is it that you guys know if someone is coming up on your inside line for a turn? Im ...ASSUming im just thinking dumb in that maybe theres a spotter for everyone?, or do you guys just keep really observant and check your rear views inside before you turn in? I can't think of what would logically make more sense hehe.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee

Also as a racing question in general what with you guys and your respect for each other...how is it that you guys know if someone is coming up on your inside line for a turn? Im ...ASSUming im just thinking dumb in that maybe theres a spotter for everyone?, or do you guys just keep really observant and check your rear views inside before you turn in? I can't think of what would logically make more sense hehe.
Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors. You gotta know where everyone is and what they're doing.....'cause they ain't askin' for permission to go on by.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
PS: What happened with Honda Challenge?
Honda Challenge Race...

The did like 3 standing starts for the different classes. The last on was for spec E30. Unfortunaly a few cars got together and caused the double yellow to come out on the front straight. So lap 1 first time under the flag the leading H1 cars came around and one clearly and I think 2-3 others just blew through the double yellow and kept racing full bore. I they only slowed when the ran up the back of the pace car. NOT SMART.

As for the racing...

We have no spotters and we just have mirrors. Once you start racing you get a feel for where guys are around the track. You can pretty much tell if someone is making a move or not. Even if we did have spotters the act of talking takes too long as once a spotter says something that guy could have moved.
Track awarness is critical when racing as the entire point that seperates racing from just driving is dealing with the cars around you. Chris's video is good, but the speed cast stuff should really cool. They have external pro-style video with comentary. They will also be feeding in select in car video. Should be really nice. However they will probalbly only show the lead pack. So Chris has nice picture of what was going on in meat of group. There should also be more in car stuff that is being pieced together to get nice picture of the battles all through the 34 car field.

As for 968's. The don't race in our class. They have 80-90 more hp and would not be fair to run. We all have in the 130's for rear wheel hp and all run the same min weight (2600lbs with driver). As such all our cars have a very similar performance. Not all exactly equal, but as much as can be expected from 20+ year old cars with modest race prep. All this done on budget to maximize the fun and minimize the costs. Running up front in 944 spec on shoe string budget is encouraged. In fact the gold 99 car with black/orange stripe was driven some 600 miles to the event and back. He won 1 qualfying race, got 3rd overall in the championship race and set fast lap in the race.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:38 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
Chris looks like you have cage in the car... so seems done to me. Get out a race it.
Well, the car is nearly done (just need a window net, right-side next, passenger seat and harness, and fire bottle). I still need a suit, shoes, HANS, and race license.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Banshee
Instructor

Ahh gotcha, i had figured so it was just a thing you have to be there for, Ive never been out on a track before let alone taken my car out for very much racing other than what happens when you see some guy who appreciates a 20 year old Porsche hehe.

If i may ask M7, what class then do the 968s run in? I would assume either their own class with other 911s, or would it be against a big mix of other cars with the same specs?

Quick Reply: 944 spec at Nationals at Miller - 5 wide into turn 1