Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parting out 1992 968

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parting out 1992 968

I've priced everything very aggressively. You can view pictures and post to this thread for questions: 968 parts car

Hatch just sold yesterday (18 hours after the listing - could have sold 3 of them by now. . .) and mirrors/handles are gone, but lots of good stuff including all engine parts still available so please inquire.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Availability updated on parent thread
Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
I've priced everything very aggressively. You can view pictures and post to this thread for questions: 968 parts car

Hatch just sold yesterday (18 hours after the listing - could have sold 3 of them by now. . .) and mirrors/handles are gone, but lots of good stuff including all engine parts still available so please inquire.

Thanks
why are you parting it?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:39 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ahhhh, I've been waiting for this question.

At the risk of sounding flip, I simply enjoy parting cars. I get to know things about cars by tearing them apart more than by putting them together. I've been waiting for the right 968 for a while so I could, you guessed it; tear it down (!) and get to know how it was done in Stuttgart.

This particular car was markerted locally for almost 3 full months and no one wanted to rescue it, believe me, they would have by now if it were worth it. I am handy and experienced with 944s and it would take me doing it on the cheap $2500 in parts and 80 hours to make this thing legal, safe and leak free and then I'd have a 190K mile car with bad paint and a tip. . . yawn.

I hold no moral obligation to these pieces of metal. I thoroughly marvel at the care and complexity of how they are made but at the end of the day, they are either serviceable transportation or they are parts to make others run.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well put.

So, you bought the car, eh? I agree, it was up for a long time, if someone wanted to rescue it, they coulda.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:02 AM
944J
Banned

what was wrong with it? how much did you get it for?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhhh, I've been waiting for this question.

At the risk of sounding flip, I simply enjoy parting cars. I get to know things about cars by tearing them apart more than by putting them together. I've been waiting for the right 968 for a while so I could, you guessed it; tear it down (!) and get to know how it was done in Stuttgart.

This particular car was markerted locally for almost 3 full months and no one wanted to rescue it, believe me, they would have by now if it were worth it. I am handy and experienced with 944s and it would take me doing it on the cheap $2500 in parts and 80 hours to make this thing legal, safe and leak free and then I'd have a 190K mile car with bad paint and a tip. . . yawn.

I hold no moral obligation to these pieces of metal. I thoroughly marvel at the care and complexity of how they are made but at the end of the day, they are either serviceable transportation or they are parts to make others run.
Still a shame to part.

$2,500 seems like a lot of parts - makes me think that there wouldn't be that many good parts left if that is indicative of the car's condition.

With the price of 968s here in Australia (AU$28k-$35k) this would never happen. Even really poor ones (if you can find one) sell for low $20ks. Most however are very well looked after as they are normally owned by enthusiasts.

What did you pay for it, or if you don't want to answer that then i can rephrase as "How cheap can you buy a 968 runner suitable for conversion to a track car for?".
Old 09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Resurrection would have to have gone like this - correct me if I am wrong on any of these estimates:

Hood/hinges/hood shocks (I had the foresight to collect all the hardware and crest) $300 (?) - fortunately, it was not a recessed-badge hood; That would be a shame.
new battery $80
1 Qt paint (color match) and prep materials - I squirt it $200
Waterpump and belts $250
Tires/mounting/disposal $500
proper wheels, nothing exorbitant like 17' cups, lets say orig wheels - 16" Cups $300 - low est.
entire reseal of engine with "while your in there" items $300
Front rotors/pads $200
all trans cooler seals and replace kinked line $150
back CA registration and fees $250
windshield, installed $250
cobbled together exhaust system that leaks like a sieve replaced, say cheap OEM $200 (?)
console hinge and recover $50

credit back $100 if you sucker someone into buying these chromed - pealing 16" man-hole covers they called wheels. . .

OH? were well OVER $2500 aren't we?

Dont get me wrong. I am up for discussing the esoteric ramifications of me parting this car out.

I do, however, take issue with those who assume a moral high-ground of Porsche preservation but are not really doing the practical math. Where were you this summer when the thing was being sold?

Last edited by Matt Sheppard; 09-15-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:11 PM
944J
Banned

Resurrection would have to have gone like this - correct me if I am wrong on any of these estimates:

Hood/hinges/hood shocks (I had the foresight to collect all the hardware and crest) $300 (?) - fortunately, it was not a recessed-badge hood; That would be a shame.
new battery $80
Waterpump and belts $250
proper wheels, nothing exorbitant like 17' cups, lets say orig wheels - 16" Cups $300 - low est.
Front rotors/pads $200
cobbled together exhaust system that leaks like a sieve replaced, say cheap OEM $200 (?)

credit back $100 if you sucker someone into buying these chromed - pealing 16" man-hole covers they called wheels. . .

Dont get me wrong. I am up for discussing the esoteric ramifications of me parting this car out.

I do, however, take issue with those who assume a moral high-ground of Porsche preservation but are not really doing the practical math. Where were you this summer when the thing was being sold?
i'd have done it, but i'm interested in the shell when you are done parting it... will it have any suspension in it?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

new battery $80
Waterpump and belts $250
Front rotors/pads $200

All seems like normal maintenance items to me. Presumably you took $2,500 or more off the price to allow for these maintenance items?

And I was and still am in Australia.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:30 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Totally criminal in my mind to part such a rare car that is not an unsalvageable wreck.

There were only 1,440 968s produced in 1992 and only 4,665 total brough to the U.S. (total of 12, 776 made world wide).

It could have a million miles on it and if it is not a ball of mangled steel it is a salvageable rare car.

To put this in purspective. In 1965 alone Ford sold 680,989 Mustangs. Now add in all the early mustangs from 1964-1973 and you have millions of cars.......and how often do you see them on the road today?

Chevrolet produces over a MILLION pickups every year.

As people lagitimately wreck off these cars the rarity and value of the remaining cars is just going to go up. There was a day when my 1967 RS/SS Camaro was only worth about $2-3K. Just a short 10 or so years later any example of the car was bringing 100K in the classic car auctions.

I just hate to see someone treat a rare ride like trask to make a few quick dollars without seeing the big picture. All IMHO of course.

$0.02
Old 09-16-2009, 04:25 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So by your moral standard, are you OK with buying used Porsche parts from non-wrecked cars?

I don't think this 968 was salvageable. It had irreparable damage: a tiptronic and high mileage. I don't care who you are or where you are. You can do better than a beat up tiptronic for $6k (asking price I saw a few months ago). I mean just put a couple Gs on top of that and you get a 6-speed. Why would anyone want a tip? Or use the $6k to buy an S2 or something.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

I only buy used parts from wreckers - and they are almost always insurance write offs. I have no problem with buying used parts from wrecks, but I do have a problem with wrecking otherwise easily repairable rare cars to make a quick buck.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Part the sucker! It's just a car worth more in parts than whole.
I've considered parting my perfectly fine 968.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Cole
Drifting

People that appreciate cars don't value them on a parts value basis.

There was a time when Hemi Cudas were worth more as parts. Now people will pay a fortune for them.

From what I see and read here that car was FAR from a write off. It just needed some attention and maybe a manual trans swap.

Quick Reply: Parting out 1992 968