Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Career at BMW

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 04:20 AM
Tim Cullison
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OT: Career at BMW

Hey Guys,
I know this is a Porsche forum, but I frequent this forum everyday to read through the threads and see how everyone is coming along with their automobiles and I wanted to share something with you. I'm only 18 years old, but for the past few years I have been stumped on a career choice for myself. Finally I found a school here in CA that trains certified BMW technicians and it really caught my interest. I'm now in the process of obtaining a GED and am going to apply at the Sequoia Institute for training. I know that the first course is 14 months of basic automotive training and that I have to pass with a 90% or higher average to qualify for the BMW STEP program. After I complete the STEP program BMW will hire me right out of the school and pay for the tuition costs of the BMW program. I have heard it will cost anywhere from $9000 to $18,500 for the whole training process and somewhere in there $3000 for my own tools. I know that UTI offers a Porsche program as well, but the school is a ways away from my place, so... What do you guys think of this so far? Do you have friends that work as mechanics at dealerships? How do they like it if so? My brother has a friend who's friend works at a Mercedes dealership as a mechanic and he said that last year he made $118,000, but there is no telling how many hours he worked for that kind of pay. Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you seasoned Porsche people have some input on the topic of working as a technician at a dealership. Hope I haven't bored you.

Tim C.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:04 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it would be cool- at your age, you have SOOO many options- how many times have you heard that? Anyway, you should do whatever you want- my problem was (and still IS) lack of motivation. Since you are so young, and have an interest in cars as an enthusiast, and, since you mentioned you would be getting a GED, then I think it would be a good thing. You should DEFINATELY get the HS equivalency though, no matter what, and if this is what's making you get off your *** and do it, then that's fine- don't mean to sound like your Dad- I'd have been quite the playground stud to have been getting some in grammer school:-) but it is pretty important- bare minimum now...

Anyway- the most important thing is to find something YOU LIKE- don't concern yourself TOO much w/$. Since you're into cars, and, cars that have expensive problems, this could have many other benefits. For one thing, many mechanics who work on Porsches, are also able to work on BMW's, Audis, & VW's at least a little- MY mechanic works on ALL of them- so, you would have the ability to work on your Porsche, OR BMW, if you got rid of the Porsche- an understandable trade depending on specifics. And, you most definitely COULD make some good $! My mech owns his own shop behind his house- location has both pros & cons, but he is his own boss, sets his own rates, etc. I think that would be cool, and, if you decided not to spend your entire life working on these cars, then you'd STILL have a lot of knowledge and THAT is always a good thing...
Old 08-04-2002, 05:56 AM
Tim Cullison
Advanced

Robby,
Thanks for the input Sometimes money was a big factor in trying to find the right career for myself. I have heard people say don't eve choose a career on the salary. That seems like sound advice but I knew there had to be something out there with descent pay and could keep me interested. I have been around computers since I was 6 so I have a good knowledge of them and a computer programmers life seemed very demanding. Flying around all the time or being stuck behind a desk etc. etc. I liked cars too but I wasn't sure of my options there until I discovered this school so I'm very excited about it. It's going to be challenging from what I hear but I'm ready for it! Thanks again Robby.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:26 PM
amaf
Banned

I have 3 friends who just started their Lincoln Tech classes for automobiles. So far they've got the basics going.. but this all means I get my car fixed for free.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:59 PM
FormulaOne10
Rennlist Member

Forget the technical training if you are looking for good money. $118,000 sounds far too steep for a mechanic. I would figure that even really top notch Ferrari mechanics only pull in around 90-100k. I've heard of people that have worked as mechanics at high end German import dealerships don't even pull in 2/3 of that amount. If you are interested in cars and are looking for decent money, work your *** off and go for your mechanical engineering degree. Then you can design the cars the mechanics work on. Not that being a mechanic doesn't pay decently (you can still live well on a mechanics pay), but don't be fooled into thinking you will easily be making six figures. This just is not anywhere close to the norm. Keep in mind benfits, bonuses 401k plans and all the other good things that come with being a full engineer...just something to consider.

Just as an example...my dad worked as a mechanic at an import dealership to put himself through college. In his first year working with a masters degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Illinois, he barely made more than he had as a mechanic. However, he realized that the benefits and opportunity in the workplace far surpassed any quick cash he may have earned as a mechanic. Comparing to where he is now to where he would be as a mechanic is not even fair, the difference is astounding. College will eventually pay off.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:48 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to a pretty well known engineering school and got my bs in mechanical engineering with an automotive concentration. being the guy who designs the car would be great. unfortunately, no one ever starts there. most likely, you will spend a few years being part a group team. i worked in fuel injection for a while. my boss left gm because his job was to calculate the force required by a rear hatch strut to hold it open. he spent two years in that position. you can go further with an engineering degree, but you have to be patient.
Old 08-04-2002, 02:58 PM
John Welch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim,

Try to talk to your brother's friend and ask him how he likes his job. I've been a computer programmer for over 20 years now, and I'm seriously considering looking into some sort of auto related business. If you like working on cars, I would think that it would be pretty cool to work for a BMW dealership as you'll continue to get more training. Many people go into business for themselves after a few years of dealership work.

Just some more input...
Old 08-04-2002, 03:09 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I believe the key in the reported high income figures for mechanics is beating the book labor numbers by a fair degree.

One of the reasons people get a car back that has many residual problems of a rushed job.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Water944t
Pro

At 18, I have a career choice for you other than wrenching.

US Navy, you will get to travel like a ****, get some much needed experience under your belt, and you likely wont get shot at since we are about the only major naval force left.

I saw over 40 countries, met a ton of awesome folks, and got laid at almost every stop, including France and Spain. (Lovely, lovely ladies who LOVE sailors)

Plus, when I got back, I was MUCH more mature and experienced than any of the slugs I used to hang with at 18.

You can do tours as short as 3 years, you get paid (not much, admittedly) but the whole thing was a blast. Boot camp was a breeze, once you realize that you are not the center of the world anymore.

Plus, the chicks dig the uniform.

And the college tuition they give you via the GI Bill is sweet, like $700 a month just to show up to class.

Before you commit to a life of grimy hands and sore backs, you might look at expanding your horizons a bit. Hell, you could be done before you were legal to drink. And trust me, you would be a different person afterwards. A man.

Not that being a wrench is bad, but you might decide that you love something else, once you are exposed to it. The modern Navy is pretty high tech, and they will train you to do anything you are interested in. I got certified in 4 separate rankings during my tour, just because it was interesting. I ended up a rated fireman, a medic, a highly skilled boatswain, and my primary, SPY1D radar electronics. I could have gone a thousand directions after my tour ended. Icertainly had a lot more options, and employers love ex-military.

Plus the chicks dig the uniform.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:42 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
"I saw over 40 countries, met a ton of awesome folks, and got laid at almost every stop, including France and Spain. (Lovely, lovely ladies who LOVE sailors)"

The clap is bad mmmkay?

Micah
Old 08-05-2002, 12:14 AM
Turby
Banned

I know Porsche/Mercades tech's that make 100k+...

Quick Reply: OT: Career at BMW