Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't put the car in gear!, or "Is this Linkage Correct?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:21 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, how do we fix it?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm speculating from looking at the diagram above. But I believe that loosening "G" will allow the shift **** up front to move relative to the shifter assembly on the tranny. You should be able to align the shift **** into correct position by moving left & right; as suggested try to get it almost straight up for gears 3 & 4.

As far as gears 2 & 4, remember that the shift mechanism on the tranny moves in same direction as the shift **** in the cabin. Pushing forward (gears 1, 3 & 5) cause the rod "C" to move towards the front at the tranny. Gears 2 & 4 would have the rod moving backwards. I think you need to adjust rod "C" further out of the coupling, or adjust at "F" have the shaft going into the tranny turned more clockwise. But if there's a detent in the shaft for "F", than moving "C" may be your only option.

Last edited by aj986s; 09-10-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: had wrong direction. fixed in bold
Old 09-10-2009, 04:32 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Originally Posted by aj986s

As far as gears 2 & 4, remember that the shift mechanism on the tranny moves opposite the shift **** in the cabin. Pushing forward (gears 1, 3 & 5) cause the rod "C" to move towards the back at the tranny. Gears 2 & 4 would have the rod moving forward.
Is this true? usually if the linkage is below the fulcrum of the shifter it's opposite, I think our cars move the same as the shifter.

But adjusting the rod makes sense. I think you may be on to something...
Old 09-10-2009, 04:40 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thewerxracing
Is this true? usually if the linkage is below the fulcrum of the shifter it's opposite, I think our cars move the same as the shifter.

But adjusting the rod makes sense. I think you may be on to something...
My bad...you're correct. I'll amend my earlier post. The pivot below the shift **** is at the bottom. So the shift rod moves in the same direction. So needs to adjust C to move back further. I believe that "E" and "H" only affect the ratio or throw length, based upon which hole is used.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:13 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

So a few cm's of extra length on C should solve things here?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:25 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

So a few cm's of extra length on C should solve things here?
yes, maybe not that much...but less length

try pushing it into 4th from under the car with the collar loose
lever arm forward
also make sure the lever arms position on the shaft allows the shifter to be pretty much straight up, not side to side...in 4th gear position

on your second pic in the 1st post...you see the machined area NOT in the collar?
loosen the collar screw, and shove the lever (and shifter) into 4th, then tighten the collar...
Old 09-10-2009, 05:31 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Hmm. This sounds simple enough. Just a matter of having clearance for each gear. I'm leaving work soon so I'll be able to play with it.

I only have tonight though, I have to pack up the car and head to the Glen.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Hmm. This sounds simple enough. Just a matter of having clearance for each gear. I'm leaving work soon so I'll be able to play with it.

I only have tonight though, I have to pack up the car and head to the Glen.
after looking at the parts diagram, our shifter is direct acting, ie, if you push forward, the shaft moves forward...the rod is connected above the pivot point

so the shaft needs to go rearward...

put shifter in 4th
loosen the collar and manually force the lever rearward into 4th...
then tighten the collar...
also slide the shaft in/out to make the shifter ~straight up...

then make sure you can engage all gears...
Old 09-10-2009, 11:53 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

The collar wasn't really the issue here, it was the bracket holding it in the rear. After having my girlfriend spend some time shifting through the gears and watching it work, I gained a much better understanding of exactly how the mechanism works. Then, after thinking about and taking into consideration all of the above advice, I reset the mechanism in gear 4 and centered everything. A quick tighten-up of all of the bolts, and it was working great.

Now, it still has a weird feel to it. Like I could move the whole H pattern side to side if I leaned on the shift ****--kinda hard to explain.

But, it's all set. And tommorrow morning my girlfriend and I are chasing my father in his Vette' up to Watkins Glen.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Can't put the car in gear!, or "Is this Linkage Correct?"