Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure drops to zero around right hand corners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 07:33 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Exclamation Oil pressure drops to zero around right hand corners?

Ok, this is a new one and has me worried, last night on the way home at 4am (long night) a took a 2nd gear left hand decreaing radius corner, its a fairly slow corner but on my way around the corner I saw the flash of the warning light, it went off I was not sure what it was.

Today, same corner the light comes on again and this time I notice it is because the oil pressure drops to 0. It comes right back up when I'm going strait again. Any ideas on what this can be??

Loose wire? Signs that the end is near? My car telling me that it would like some new sway bars (I know its not this one, but I want some so I thought I would throw it in there.)

Anyway, hopefully someone has some simple solution...

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check the oil level?
Old 03-05-2003, 07:59 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know the later years had the baffels in the oil pan to prevent oil starvation. Somebody else would have to chime in on what year they started those. But it's an easy modification if you don't have those. ...from what I've heard anyways.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:12 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
I was not really pushing it around the corner, so I don't think it should have been pulling it away that much.

And the oil level looks to be fine....
Old 03-05-2003, 09:40 PM
keith
Drifting

Hey man, just left a message for you on your voice mail - guess it was about this!

Anyway, there are 2 wires on the sending unit. Verify that they are tight.

You said you checked the oil level, so if it is fine, then it is fine.

Other than that, there could be a problem with the oil pressure valve beginning to fail, or stick - it was revised in the later models to a different design - the early ones slid in a bore on the block, and if they got dirty, could hang up. This could be an issue, but I kinda doubt it, as it has never been a problem before, and that engine is fully synthetic (and clean), also, your condition seems to bmanifest itself when cornering in one direction.

I wonder if engine movement is allowing a sender wire to loosen or come in contact with something (power steering line, perhaps?) and foul up the reading/interrupt contact...

First thing I would do is wiggle those little wires and verify that they are tight and not chafed, show no signs of damage, etc., etc.

Let us know!
Old 03-05-2003, 09:43 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if u are running 5.8 quarts.....rUn 6.8 and see what happens this will not hurt your car at all
Old 03-05-2003, 09:58 PM
keith
Drifting

Yeah, I always used almost 7 at oil changes...
(expensive)
Old 03-05-2003, 10:35 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I fing hate oil pressure. I just bought a new sending unit which will arrive friday, and hopefully that will solve my problem. Right now I dont think I have oil pressure anyways as I took the sending unit out, cranked the engine, and barely any oil came out. I know the oil level is fine, so the only things that can be causing this are a bad pump, a crank pulley that is not torqued right, or the sending unit. Right now the guage says that I have from 1-0 bar of pressure. Does anyone know a way to confirm this pressure is correct without the guage? Do the actual pumps ever go bad? Sorry to change this post topic a little but I had to rant.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

The pumps really don't go bad. All they are is a couple of intermeshing toothed rings that move oil by positive displacement.

Do NOT overfill the oil!!! If you overfill the oil you run the risk of basically whipping up the oil. Air bubbles in the oil are bad news, air doesn't lubricate or provide oil film to prevent metal to metal contact. Make sure your oil is at the top mark on the dipstick, but not over.

Mark944turbo: You might not get any oil out of the hole while cranking, that's OK. If you're worried about oil pressure then check it with a mechanical gauge connected. Most likely your pressure reducing valve is crudded up and sticking open. Take it out (it's a three piece valve) and clean it.

Ian, bets are on a loose wire or a wire rubbing on a ground point. I've seen wire being rubbed through making contact with the grounding point while going around corners. Check the whole path of the wire. Make sure that it's tied off properly so that it doesn't hang loose.

Good luck!

Dal.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:43 PM
wa944
Instructor

With hydraulic lifters, if you have no oil pressure, they will start clattering like there is no tomorrow. I am currently ignoring my gauge as it is something with the sender, wires or the gauge itself. My light works fine though.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts
I gotta second Dal's comment on not overfilling the oil. I used to overfill at the track, always used oil. Stopped overfilling, virtually stopped using oil. Full is full on the dip stick, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Do look very closely at the magnet on the oil drain plug when you change oil. The little X-mas tree shape of metal shavings is your motor asking for a number two rod bearing for the holidays.

My humble two cents...

Quick Reply: Oil pressure drops to zero around right hand corners?