Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You wouldn't believe what my powerloss issue was!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Jeez, has it really been six years since your car was stolen??
technically no. tomorrow 9/3 is six years. i should have bought your gray 968 and been done with the shenanigans for six years. Dave should have bought your 968 and saved a load of headache.

Originally Posted by 67King
What happens is you wear out the lock cylinder, and the car will run without a key. At least that is my understanding (and I've seen cars that were like that!).

When I have a lot of keys on a keychain, I have one of those ball lock things where you can press a button, and separate it. Ignition key on one side, all other ones on the other. That's how I did the GTO, when I had an ignition key, door/trunk key, padlock for the hood (had an external release), packlock for the cover, and a "Club."

I'm in the same boat as you, though. My wife has a freakin' key ring bigger than the hoops that Debbie Gibson was wearing 20 years ago.......so she can "find the keychain in the purse." Drives me nuts, and I can't even fit the damn thing in my pocket. So, I've got another set of keys to her Audi. Luckily, the Mazda has a keyless system.
Carnac says your GTO was not a 1968. 10 man points for whoever can tell how i know (no not jim).
Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is, lol. My wallet stays closed. Oh ya! the porsche key is the only key that goes into my ignition now!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:56 PM
L8_apex
Rennlist Member

LOL -
Shows how suspicious we are of our old cars. Something seems a bit off - we don't first look for a simple human mistake. Gotta be something technical - dive right into the fuel pump, DME, sensors, filters, relays, switches, and other gizmos.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:25 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Originally Posted by L8_apex
LOL -
Shows how suspicious we are of our old cars. Something seems a bit off - we don't first look for a simple human mistake. Gotta be something technical - dive right into the fuel pump, DME, sensors, filters, relays, switches, and other gizmos.
Lol, I hear that! First I thought I snapped my newly replaced t-belt.

In the end it was all good !
Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tom R.
technically no. tomorrow 9/3 is six years. i should have bought your gray 968 and been done with the shenanigans for six years. Dave should have bought your 968 and saved a load of headache.

Carnac says your GTO was not a 1968. 10 man points for whoever can tell how i know (no not jim).
External release
Old 09-02-2009, 09:12 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aftermarket alarms wil cause more problems than what you describe here. Get rid of thing altogether.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Banshee
Instructor

-100 man-points

This is close to my getting called to the highschool one day (years ago) when my sister claimed her car would not start.....got in....put it in PARK and it started right up !
LOL! Well hey while were on the subject of keys and the like, what do you guys think, is having this:

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Black-...ref=pd_sim_a_3

along with the Porsche key head,

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...st%20Logo.aspx

TOO much? IF i should only get 1 of the 2 which should they be? I read that some of you have the leather tag, and id for sure like to have that but i also love being able to have an actual Porsche looking key with a light (so i dont scratch up the door handle at night), does anyone have the Porsche key head too?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:15 AM
Vonov
Racer

Location: Nashville///'84 944NA, Virtual Luftwaffe pilot, Fighter Ace online

I got a whole raft of keys I have to keep on or near my person all the time, so I just put the whole deal on a spring loaded, sleeve-lock type carabiner (D-ring). Easy to disconnect the one I need, and drop the rest in my hunting vest or jeans pocket.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:49 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Reminds me of a commercial I heard I think for an NPR show?
"Oh, you must be Mr. Public."
"Yes, how'd you know, my reputation?"
"No, your nametag."

So I would guess that either my handle or my signature would probably be pretty darn big hints?

If it has anything to do with the external hood release, I believe they all had them, though I don't know if one could put a padlock on the release for anything other than a 65-67.

On edit: If it has anything to do with what keys go where, I think I screwed up that. They used to be ignition/door and trunk/glovebox. That might have changed in 69 when they put the ignition in the column, rather than dash, but I am not sure.

Last edited by 67King; 09-03-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Given
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Slayer952
Instructor

this reminds me of the guy who told me he bought his wife an auto Cherokee and the first week the dealership had to tow it twice and extract the broken off key from the ignition. He finally caught her parking it in neutral and trying to get the key out.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 944obscene
External release
Originally Posted by 67King
Reminds me of a commercial I heard I think for an NPR show?
"Oh, you must be Mr. Public."
"Yes, how'd you know, my reputation?"
"No, your nametag."

So I would guess that either my handle or my signature would probably be pretty darn big hints?

If it has anything to do with the external hood release, I believe they all had them, though I don't know if one could put a padlock on the release for anything other than a 65-67.

On edit: If it has anything to do with what keys go where, I think I screwed up that. They used to be ignition/door and trunk/glovebox. That might have changed in 69 when they put the ignition in the column, rather than dash, but I am not sure.
Nope, nope. 68 was the last year of the key on the dash, and the only year that you could pull the key out while the motor was running.

Quick Reply: You wouldn't believe what my powerloss issue was!