Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The time has come... solid lifters!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Cone_eater
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The time has come... solid lifters!!!

So I am making an investment for some solid lindsey racing lifters...
I need some help here. First off I am putting these in with my webb cam. Is there anything particular I need to do when I install these bad boys? Or just Lube up and slide in. (gigity gigity goo)
Thanks dudes
Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The "TOTAL" Solid Lifter Conversion requires the customer to send their cylinder head and cam box to us. When doing a solid lifter conversion, it's very important that the height of the valve tips above the top of the cylinder head are set to a specific height. So part of the TOTAL conversion includes us doing that work to your cylinder head. If you need some cylinder head work done at the same time, such as our Stage 1 thru 5 offerings, it's the perfect time to do it.

Once the valves are tipped, and the cam box has the access port plug holes machined, we do a complete assembly of the head, lifter, lash caps and new cam. After assembly, we do a cold lash check and verify the dimensions. We then determine if any of the lash caps need to be thicker or thinner to achieve the perfect lash. The assembly will be torn down, lash caps swapped if necessary, and everything re-assenbled. We will do this as many times as necessary until we get the exact lash we are looking for.

This allows the customer to simply assemble the head and cam box on their engine knowing as long as they put all the pieces in the correct location as identified by us, they can be insured that everything is clearanced properly.

This TOTAL package is priced at $1150.00. This DOES NOT include a camshaft. We can use your stock cam, or provide you a solid grind cam. We have 6 profiles in stock and can grind something custom tailored to your specs if required.

You cannot purchase the TOTAL package through the shopping cart since you're sending us your cores to modify, or purchasing cores from us. Contact your Lindsey Racing representative for more information."

Do it yourself?

For those who have a machine shop available to them with the capabilities to set the valve tip height, you can purchase the required parts and do it yourself. You may be required to purchase additional lash caps once you do your first bench assembly and test the lash, or grind the provided lash caps to complete the job. Not knowing whether you're going to need thinner or thicker caps prevents us from knowing up front.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Cone_eater
Racer

please explain more on the lash? I was under the idea that an over head cam like this didnt need valve adjustment. I was looking at a couple different sets and just figured I would get the lindsey cause everyone has good stuff to say about them. Why can I not just put them in as is and run them? What difference are they in height than factory because webb told me to use a new set of factory and it would be fine. I am kinda confused? I didnt realise it was that complicated...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cone_eater
please explain more on the lash? I was under the idea that an over head cam like this didnt need valve adjustment. I was looking at a couple different sets and just figured I would get the lindsey cause everyone has good stuff to say about them. Why can I not just put them in as is and run them? What difference are they in height than factory because webb told me to use a new set of factory and it would be fine. I am kinda confused? I didnt realise it was that complicated...
Hydraulic lifters dont need adjusted, your car has them now, you would remove them to swap to solid lifters, which would then require valve lash adjustment..

Solid lifters require machining work to the head and cam tower to work...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

nah, factory doesn't need adjustment because the lifters are hydraulic, but solid lifter OHC engines definitely need precise lash adjustments. I'm not sure what the specs are exactly on the Lindsey kit, but on a Yamaha R6 engine I worked on the spec was .11mm +/- .05mm. Granted, that engine was designed for 15k RPM, but that should still give you an idea of the tolerances required for solid lifters.

Last edited by white924s; 08-19-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Cone_eater
Racer

So if I just put them in I am gonna screw **** up. lol. Nice, I really hate pulling the head on these...
Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,257 Posts

So if I just put them in I am gonna screw **** up. lol. Nice, I really hate pulling the head on these...
I think you need to sit down and do some serious research. It sounds like you are starting a project a few thousand feet over your head.

Usually when someone is building a motor that requires solid lifters they at least know why solid lifters are needed. You don't even know what solid lifters are compared to stock.

Why do you need solids? Is this motor going to be built for 7,000+ rpm power?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If all you're doing is a web cam theres no reason for solid lifters.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM
carlege
Drifting

i want pics of the build / fail
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
i want pics of the build / fail
Just a suggestion....

If you have something constructive/supportive to add, please feel free. That is the reason RL exists, the technical knowledge/resources that the members provide one another.

If not, please consider leaving the keyboard alone.

Thank you very much.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
Just a suggestion....

If you have something constructive/supportive to add, please feel free. That is the reason RL exists, the technical knowledge/resources that the members provide one another.

If not, please consider leaving the keyboard alone.

Thank you very much.
HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Ok, that was funny.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So I am making an investment for some solid lindsey racing lifters.
Why do you think you need, or, want them? I have been down this road, especially with the LR products so I know their solid lifter kit very well. Please enlighten us, so we can assist you much better, as this isn't a cheap investment, and there will be maintenance involved.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I have seen here, you should not do solid lifters.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:10 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

The lifters being hydraulic is a good thing for all but the most serious racers.

As the valves/seats are worn the hydraulic lifter adjusts the valve clearance automatically. You do not want to get rid of this brilliant invention unless there is a real need for it. Very high revving engines (motorcycle engines etc.) will get trouble using hydraulic lifters and thus have too use the "old" style which includes the need to service the system by adjusting the valve clearances regularly.

Quick Reply: The time has come... solid lifters!!!