Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illiteracy in America

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 04:34 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In grammar school, they are not emphasizing proper spelling anymore: it's ok for children to write a story and have everything spelled incorrectly. The argument is that it is better not to styfle (sp?) the creativity by enforcing proper spelling. To that, I say, BULL. As a child, I had no problem with creativity and spelling properly at the same time.

As said above, this web board is a 'casual' writing forum. So stuff like: "gimme," "see ya," even "ain't" are acceptable, in my opinion. Even the common internet abbreviations like BTW, FWIW, IMO...etc are ok.

It's when people start writing stuff that takes twice as long to read, like:
"I want 2 no what u r thinking. Any 1 no?"
THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY!

Keep it close to English, ok folks?

-Zoltan.

PS: Notice how everyone is proofreading what they wrote in this post?
Old 08-01-2002, 04:35 PM
crazandy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who really cares as long as you can understand what they meant? I understand that propper spelling and grammar are important at times, but for everday use like in email and forums and what not its not that important. It really gets old listening to people that like to bitch about the stupidest of things. Get over it.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:42 PM
Geo
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by Tabor Kelly:
<strong>I try to proofread my posts for content and grammar, but not spelling. I am a horrible speller, and I know it. I just don't think that it matters that much on a web board such as this.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, as mom used to say.... "You never know."

Being articulate, as well as using proper spelling and grammar on a web board or mailing list just might get you someplace.

I have a good friend who is a major contributor to Sport Compact Car. He helped me get a foot in the door there and get an article published and is trying to help open some more doors for me. I have absolutely no doubt that one of the main reasons he is helping me is because of the way I write. He knows he can present me as a potential contributor who is not going to embarrass him when I submit work for editing. I’m far from the smartest car guy he knows, but I’m technically competent and can write well enough, and he has seen this through what I have written in another automotive mailing list

You just never know who is reading what you write. Mom was pretty smart.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:44 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim Strayer said:

[quote] I also feel sorry for those that judge people for the way they type and set up their sentences. Some people may be in a hurry. Big deal <hr></blockquote>

Tim,

I think the biggest problem is that oftentimes what is posted to the board is incomprehensible. If someone wants an answer to a question, at least pose the question in such a way so that it can be understood. It's funny that some of the folks on this board who don't speak English as a first language write better than a lot of those who do.

I'm not really going to flame someone for being an illiterate oaf, or for not taking the time to check what they type here, but I have to agree with Mark's sloppy/careless comment.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:59 PM
Geo
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by Z-man:
<strong>As said above, this web board is a 'casual' writing forum. So stuff like: "gimme," "see ya," even "ain't" are acceptable, in my opinion.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Acceptable in this casual forum? Of course.

But one should really pay attention to what they write and how they write, just as one should pay attention to what and how we think and act. Why? Because habits become ingrained and become part of us. If such things become a habit here, they can carry over in other places. That doesn’t always happen. Some people can jump into and out of such persona. It does become a reflection of us and others judge us by it.

Personally I still think of the written word as something more deliberate than the spoken word. I try to rarely write the words gunna, ain’t, wanna, etc. I’ve been known to swear like a sailor at times, but it’s extremely rare for me to use such words in my writings. Why? And why is the spoken word different from the written word? The spoken word is usually more spontaneous and things will slip out. Again, I tend to think the written word is, or at least should be, more deliberate. You usually leave a more permanent impression with what you write as opposed to what you say.

I sound like my mom. As I said, mom was pretty smart.

I’m not writing this to be critical. I’m just trying to give some insight into why it can matter. It’s all IMHO of course.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:02 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't see any point in going too casual or trying to smarten up(how's that?)from one venue to the next. In a personal casual relationship maybe but not in a public forum.

When I see poor spelling and grammar here it makes me question the credibility of the source until proven otherwise. I don't think I'm judgemental, but correct grammar and spelling has always been a pet peeve of mine.

That's just me.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:37 PM
crazandy
Racer

Just cause you can write nice and purty (did it on purpose for effect... wait misspelling for effect? who would do such a thing) doesn't mean you know what your're talking about and also is true that if you don't write all fancy doesn't mean that you don't know what your talking about.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:46 PM
JB '87 944
Instructor

The english language has it's challenges, even for those who've grown up with it as their first language. The above posts confirm this.

Just let it be said that he who speaks, reads and writes any language exceptionally well will never be without a job.

Let's all do better!
Old 08-01-2002, 05:53 PM
Joe944
Racer

If you think about it, though, spell check can't be the cause of this new "evolution" in how people use the English language. Many people didn't grow up on spell check, or even use computers at all and still can't spell or use sentence structure worth a damn. It's the lack of education that's the cause of these problems. And no, I don't mean that these people haven't been schooled, but maybe they had troubles with spelling all along, and yet their teachers never bothered to specifically help that child, only allowing him to barely pass and go on to the next level of education.

Not spelling correctly on a web forum, such as Rennlist, isn't really a big deal. But on a supposedly proffesional website such as CNN? That's totally inexcusable. Their job is to portray current events in a format that is clear and to the point, and they can't even proof their work.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:01 PM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

man.. this post is so stoopid..

SHAUN
Old 08-01-2002, 06:01 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Sloppy written language is one of my major peeves too, it reflects very poorly on the writer, but I'll resist the temptation to enter into a general rant...but...jeez...guys...it's BRAKES, not "breaks". BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES. I saw "breaks" again just now in a new post AND IT MAKES ME CRAZY.

Okay, I'm better now.

Matt
Old 08-01-2002, 06:05 PM
JohnK944
Instructor

We are being graded on Rennlist??

If someone spells BRAKE wrong... does that ruin your day?
Old 08-01-2002, 06:15 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

[quote]Originally posted by JohnK944:
<strong>

If someone spells BRAKE wrong... does that ruin your day?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, I said I'm better now.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:21 PM
kennyandersen
Instructor

I'm an engineer and am spelling challenged. I read extremely fast, and evidently, don't tary on the word long enough to memorize it. I fact, if I had a memory I could have been a doctor. Proof read... fine, spell check when available, grouse about it... please!
Old 08-01-2002, 06:30 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have to disagree with those people who say that spell check hurts us (sorry Ribs).

In most cases - SpellCheck is usually something that does aide in laziness - but in my case, my spelling was soooooo bad that I ended up learning how to spell words by using SpellCheck. Once I see the word spelled correctly - I don't forget it now. I High School I couldn't care less how a word was spelled.

I'm "Hooked On SpellCheck".

944S Boyeee

......and, by the way, whenever someone spells something wrong or uses bad grammer, etc - it just reflects that the person is either lazy or doesn't care what we think about them. I'm sure just about everyone here could/would make their posts perfect if they had to.

Quick Reply: Illiteracy in America