Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 944 AIR CONDITIONING BLOWER PROBLEM: FUSE KEEPS BLOWING

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 1985 944 AIR CONDITIONING BLOWER PROBLEM: FUSE KEEPS BLOWING

hi,
I have a problem I cant resolve. Porsche 944, Early 1985.
My Air conditioning blower was working just fine, but 3 days ago, while driving with the A/C on, the A/C Blower just stopped working and I heard the little fuse blow. I told myself : no problem, I'm just gonna replace the fuse.
But the problem is, that now, I put a new fuse in, and then put on the air conditioning control, and the fuse blows right away.
Does anybody know or had this problem before.

It's the fuse #6 Air conditioner compressor, fresh air fan that keeps blowing.

thanks

Eric
Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really not trying to be a dick, but join the club.

Get a test light, and a multi-meter and start checking. Pressure switch on rear of the PS pump, the compressor clutch, relay, switch .......

There are more of us with broken AC than with working AC.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:33 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 out of 10 times this has recently been the compressor clutch failing and drawing too much current. The compressor needs replaced.
If you put in a higher fuse it will blow something up on your climate control unit and then you will need to replace that.
However, you can start by testing. First thing I would do is unplug the compressor wire from power and turn on the AC button (with a good fuse) and check for power. If there is power there and it doens't blow and you plug it back and it does this is your problem. If you do that and it still blows let us know I have the diagram of where you need to go next.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zoltan944
10 out of 10 times this has recently been the compressor clutch failing and drawing too much current. The compressor needs replaced.
+1
Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

thanks Zolten,
I'm not sure if I've unplugged the right thing, but I went under the car, and there's 2 wire (black and red) coming out the compressor. Impossible to unplug the black, but I was able to unplug the red (it's plug to another plug (black + green) right? Also, I've checked with my multi-meter this green & black plug and no power was coming out of it. Anyway, with that being unplugged, I've putted a new fuse, tried the AC fan, and right away, the fuse blow. So the fuse blow with the compressor being unplugged.
That is good, right? Does it mean that the problem could not be my compressor.
If the case, I could really need your diagram.
Thank you very much, it's gonna be a really hot week here in Montreal.
Eric
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

HI again Zolten,
I hope your diagram is not the same as in the Haynes, page 211, I've been trying to understand for at least 25min., and this is total chinese for me. I see where the compressor is on the page 213, and they say that Red + Green (sorry, I said black & green earlyer (must be dirty), goes to the DME unit, and I think the DME stand for Digital Motor Electric Relay ??? Now what I'm my suppose to do with that?
Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Unplug the wire for the compressor clutch. You should have around 3.6 ohms. IF not, the coil inside the compressor is bad. This can be replaced. I have done it several times. The problem is finding another coil. I usually buy a compressor that is not good, and test the resistance of the coil. You can measure the resistance of the coil with the compressor still in the car. Like I said above, unplug the wire coming from the clutch, and measure the resistance between that plug and grounding against the compressor.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:49 AM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Ya you need to pull off the big wire coming off of the compressor i believe its black and its a single wire that has a spade end that goes into a connection of 2 wires I beleive.
I do not beleive you have the right wire
Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Hi again,
if your talking those wire in this image, these are the one that I disconnected.
Are these the right ones, or is there others

Old 08-12-2009, 05:29 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

I had the exact same problem on my 84' NA. Only I purchased the car with the fuse already blowing all the time. I first checked all the relays (there are a couple hidden behind the glove box, at least on my 84'). It's been a while since I trouble shot this, but I think I ruled out the compressor by disconnecting it too (I think). Regardless, my problem ended up being a short in the AC circuit. I basically traced all wires from the fuse box, to the AC dash control, to the AC components behind the glove box and then into the engine.

I ended up having a short in a connector underneath the driver side dash/center console. It was a 4 gang connector (clear rectangular connector where you slide bare wires in and they lock). One of the contacts on the male end of the connector melted through the clear connector housing and shorted with another wire. Don't know how this happened. Probably don't want to know. I just replaced the connector and everything has been working fine for about a year now. Granted I don't really run the AC a whole lot.

I wasn't expecting to find this short, but something you may want to investigate. Hope this helps.

-bp
Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Man, thanks bp, I'll take a look at it tonight. So you are saying that your burnt connector was behind the center consol (meaning i need to remove the dash)? or under the driver console close to the center consol. thanks
Zoltan, I still haven't found your wires on the compressor.
I'm pretty sure I found the right ones the first, I really looked everywhere else,
and all I could find where those two black & red, on the side top of the compressor.
And like I said, even with the wire unplugged, my fuse still blows.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

ok,
after installing something last week, I might of push or pull a little the red wire coming out of the fuse box, the one that is connected to the ac fuse (the one that keeps blowing). I am looking under, to see where it goes (way under, the place where it's impossible to put your f**ing hand because there's like 10000 wires all mixed up together). It's getting dark, and I'm getting furious, before I break something, Ill stop and try again tomorrow.
Ill keep you posted
eric
Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

here's there a way to remove the %%%% box that old the %% relays and fuse. I was able to remove the fuse box on top, but the other one is stuck. IMPOSSIBLE to work there.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Originally Posted by ericquenneville
Man, thanks bp, I'll take a look at it tonight. So you are saying that your burnt connector was behind the center consol (meaning i need to remove the dash)? or under the driver console close to the center consol. .
I didn't remove the whole dash. I just had to remove a few gauges and my climate controls from the center console to follow the wires behind the dash and into the glove box (I have an old style dash). If I recall correctly, the connector was somewhere between the fuse panel and the center console.

I have never removed the fuse/relay panels before, so sorry I can't help you there.

Good luck,
-bp
Old 08-13-2009, 01:45 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Thanks bp,
I pretty sure my problem is around that area to.
If I could have some spare time (no kids, no day job etc...) with day light, I'm probably going to find the problem.
thanks again
eric

Quick Reply: 1985 944 AIR CONDITIONING BLOWER PROBLEM: FUSE KEEPS BLOWING