Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S3 bites the dust...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:28 AM
porcho heat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's ****ty

Someone build an S3 quick to replace this fallen brethren

Any pics of your engine bay? S2 Harmonic balancer? Air filter set up?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:01 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3
So where are you located in socal?
I'm in Berkeley -- not in SoCal anymore. I used to work in SoCal, but the 400mile commute from NorCal was killing me!

V2 was up here visiting his brother and had spare time to kill - so we traded labor for cash.

Originally Posted by porcho heat
Any pics of your engine bay? S2 Harmonic balancer? Air filter set up?
Here's what it used to look like. No front damper pulley -- but I never vibration problems.

The air filter setup was not the ideal -- just a K&N cone filter. I was in the process of using a S2 air filter stuffed underneath a 924turbo nose panel (won't fit under a stock nose panel). Never got around to it...

Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

If you remove the lights and all associated hardware, the filter can sit under the headlight flap. There is a whole in the side that you can feed fresh "cold" air to the filter.

Below is a mockup from when I built my car using the filter from my F150. I currently have a much larger cone filter stuffed in there, just barely fits
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

i'd say it is mute point now ...
Old 08-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the bright side, this becomes the PERFECT LS1 donor car.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by josephsc
I'm in Berkeley -- not in SoCal anymore. I used to work in SoCal, but the 400mile commute from NorCal was killing me!

V2 was up here visiting his brother and had spare time to kill - so we traded labor for cash.

Here's what it used to look like. No front damper pulley -- but I never vibration problems.
Sometimes a harmonic vibration may not be felt. Similar to a golf club's frequency, the vibration or resonance of the crank is balanced out by the dual mass flywheel and the S2's front pulley/damper combined with its flywheel. Now the the pieces are coming together (or apart...depending on how you look at it.)

Based on the fact you have been tracking the car, and running higher rev's...the crank's harmonic distortion (if not properly balanced) may have caused the pistons to shift inside the cylinders. Looking at the photos with the chips on the pistons, really supports this theory.

I think this may be one of the best reasons to see why that damper is needed with this engine. I think the guys on the 968 forum should see this as well. There may very well be a good lesson here. Harmonic vibration is something worth looking at if you are running a 3L motor and lightweight flywheel.

I am sorry for your loss. There's a lot of work that goes into making one of these. I feel for ya. But, on a brighter note - there may be a good lesson in here.

Chad
Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Agreed. The harmonics is one potential cause. I had neither the S2 pulley/harmonic dampener nor the dual-mass flywheel (was running a S2 flywheel). Lots of 968 guys also run lightened flywheel...

And after much thought, there are two other potential culprits.

One possibility is an aftermarket chip: might have messed with the fuel mixture causing denotation.

Another possibility is oil level. The car had a faulty oil level sender, so if anything was wrong, there wouldn't have been any warning.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Joe, what was your rev limiter set at, and were you bouncing off of it often?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:08 PM
josephsc
Race Car

I was using the "Racer X" chip from speed-6.com (I don't think they make these anymore) -- which bumped the rev limiter all the way up to 7800rpm, if I recall.... But I never bounce off the rev limiter -- I tend to to be an early shifter, at not much past 6000. But then, it's not like I'm staring at the tach....
Old 08-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

I was using the "Racer X" chip from speed-6.com (I don't think they make these anymore) -- which bumped the rev limiter all the way up to 7800rpm, if I recall.... But I never bounce off the rev limiter -- I tend to to be an early shifter, at not much past 6000. But then, it's not like I'm staring at the tach....
7800 rpm?! Yikes. I think I may need to look at my chip now.

C.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

the valves all looked good, no damage to any of them, the spark plugs were all intact.

hard to see in the pictures but on the #2 piston there were places where small pieces of piston were missing from the edge of the crown. like, a full milimeter on the bottom of the piston and about the same on the top. you could see the top piston ring, and how a piece of it appears to be missing...

the #4 has a chip in the top of the piston and also has a small chunk missing. based on the chip i think something must have gotten into the cylinder and bounced around, maybe even something that was already in the intake tract....

the head was in fabulous condition actually. this engine would be useable if someone wanted to take it up to 106mm or resleeve it to 104..i highly doubt that taking it to 104.5 would be enough, there is a HUGE gash in the #4 wall.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
the valves all looked good, no damage to any of them, the spark plugs were all intact.

hard to see in the pictures but on the #2 piston there were places where small pieces of piston were missing from the edge of the crown. like, a full milimeter on the bottom of the piston and about the same on the top. you could see the top piston ring, and how a piece of it appears to be missing...

the #4 has a chip in the top of the piston and also has a small chunk missing. based on the chip i think something must have gotten into the cylinder and bounced around, maybe even something that was already in the intake tract....

the head was in fabulous condition actually. this engine would be useable if someone wanted to take it up to 106mm or resleeve it to 104..i highly doubt that taking it to 104.5 would be enough, there is a HUGE gash in the #4 wall.
Broken ring? Have you pulled the oil pan to look for bits of junk?

C.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

i went back to san diego yesterday, now it is up to joseph to do the "autopsy". there appeared to be a sizeable piece of ring missing (like an inch or more), judging by the visible ring that suddenly ended and was just black space for the rest of the hole that could be seen though
Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Detonation can do bad things to the top compression ring. I had a chip in my (NA) for a while and blew a head gasket at the track. When the head came off, number 4 cylinder was badly scraped and disassembly showed the top ring on all 4 pistons was cracked into several pieces. I had hear some pre-ignition noises prior to the HG event but failed to appreciate how bad it was. I was able to get it re-bored but had to go with full 1mm oversize pistons...
Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, awesome. Time for me to start saving my money...

Quick Reply: 944S3 bites the dust...